Dish Network: Distant Networks

>> Now we know why you used to be a broadcaster, as you clearly didn't understand it. Signal are not leased in any form or fashion. They are granted for the public's safety, convenience and neccesity.<<

That business model is dead and no longer useful.

>>The signals cannot air copyrighted material to which they are not licensed any more than they can go to Blockbuster, rent a DVD that has not even made it to HBO or Showtime and air it.

Clearly you must have flunked your broadcast law class.<<

Hardly the case. How long should the feds 'protect' local stations?
We no longer need the locals to retransmit signals that can no be pulled from one source.

I will ignore your other insults and remind you that IPTV will finally (and rightfully so) kill off the dinosaur locals.

I have found a source to download my favorite network shows.... and will not need the local stations.

I doubt this is the case but would be good if it was. Dish will go along with the turning off of distants for SD but will now see who qualifys under HD for distants. This would actually be in Dish's favor if they have approved studies to see the actual people that can receive a grade B "HD signal". Maybe this is why they have not yet activated the distant HD signals because they want to keep the qualifcation methods completely different. This would also increase the number of HD recivers out there if you are now required to get an HD reciver in order to get distants. If this were the case then the number of people qualifying for distant signals could actually increase and make dish even more money and really tick the heck out of the NAB. The stations would actually have to send an HD signal to their viewers in order to keep them from getting HD distants. The customers without an HD television could just have the receiver downrez the channels to 480I. Win-win situation for even more people than before. Okay this likely isn't the case but would be sooooo cool if it was. I know I would take the upgraded distants. Okay back to the real world and out of my dream state.

Voyagerbob

>> If network programming is such a trivial matter why are you getting in such a snit? They local affiliates don't care what you think - they own you. If you want network programming you will have to go to the authorized outlet. Getting all pouty because you can't have whatever you want is childish.<<

No they don't 'own' me. IPTV is ending that.

‘Childish' are artificial constraints to protect an archaic business model.

>>There are good reasons but I don't care what you do and neither do the locals unless you try to get distant signals that you are not authorized to receive.<<

OK, so the local affiliates will not be upset if I download network programming off the net?

srbond said:
>> If network programming is such a trivial matter why are you getting in such a snit? They local affiliates don't care what you think - they own you. If you want network programming you will have to go to the authorized outlet. Getting all pouty because you can't have whatever you want is childish.<<

No they don't 'own' me. IPTV is ending that.

>>There are good reasons but I don't care what you do and neither do the locals unless you try to get distant signals that you are not authorized to receive.<<

OK, so the local affiliates will not be upset if I download network programming off the net?
If you are bypassing the local affiliate and local commercials and using IPTV to watch network programming not authorized by the network and affiliates, yes they will be upset.

What makes you think that the local ABC would be any less upset if you watch Lost from an unauthorized IPTV site versus watching from a Dish distant network that you don't really qualify for?

Last edited:
voyagerbob said:
I doubt this is the case but would be good if it was. Dish will go along with the turning off of distants for SD but will now see who qualifys under HD for distants. This would actually be in Dish's favor if they have approved studies to see the actual people that can receive a grade B "HD signal". Maybe this is why they have not yet activated the distant HD signals because they want to keep the qualifcation methods completely different.....The stations would actually have to send an HD signal to their viewers in order to keep them from getting HD distants.....
Voyagerbob
Hey Voyagerbob,

CW digital is too far away and too weak signal for me to receive OTA. I also qualify for superstations.

So does that mean that if E* ever offers superstations in HD, then I would qualify too ?

>If you are bypassing the local affiliate and local commercials and using IPTV to watch network programming not authorized by the network and affiliates, yes they will be upset.<

How about programming that is authorized by the network, but not by the affilate?

>>What makes you think that the local ABC would be any less upset if you watch Lost from an unauthorized IPTV site versus watching from a Dish distant network that you don't really qualify for?<<

1. Won't the local affilaite be angry if I watch network programming via any other source but their own, even if it is authorized by the network (this is the case with both DN and IPTV?

2. I qualify for DN via the grandfather clause.

JH1949 said:
Hey Voyagerbob,

CW digital is too far away and too weak signal for me to receive OTA. I also qualify for superstations.

So does that mean that if E* ever offers superstations in HD, then I would qualify too ?

I have heard varying opinions, but the most common is that the superstation exemption would only apply for the old analog signals. HD would be considered a new service and not covered.

srbond said:
1. Won't the local affilaite be angry if I watch network programming via any other source but their own, even if it is authorized by the network (this is the case with both DN and IPTV?
I need an explanation.

What is distant network is authorized by both Dish Network and IPTV?
srbond said:
2. I qualify for DN via the grandfather clause.
Well, then you are one of the people that don't qualify. Dish Network didn't show the courts any proof whatsoever that they had any grandfathered or waivered customers.

>>Originally Posted by srbond
I need an explanation.
What is distant network is authorized by both Dish Network and IPTV?<<

No didtant network, I can download network programming and stream it from the Internet, bypassing the local stations.

>>Well, then you are one of the people that don't qualify. Dish Network didn't show the courts any proof whatsoever that they had any grandfathered or waivered customers.<<

Umm, the grandfather clause is in the federal law regarding this. I do qualify.

srbond said:
No didtant network, I can download network programming and stream it from the Internet, bypassing the local stations.
I know it can be done from iTunes. Where else?

Keep in mind that the networks have granted affiliates "first run" rights. That is why you will not receive Lost on the same day it is broadcast. That is, unless you are torrenting.
srbond said:
Umm, the grandfather clause is in the federal law regarding this. I do qualify.
You qualify if the company to which you subscribe keeps accurate records for proof. Once taken to court, Dish Network offered no records of any of their subscribers. You may have "grandfather status", but because of Dish Network's lack of record-keeping in accordance with the same law, you have no status when it comes to Dish Network.

>> Keep in mind that the networks have granted affiliates "first run" rights. That is why you will not receive Lost on the same day it is broadcast. That is, unless you are torrenting.<<

Correct, ABC makes the show available the next day, which is fine for me.

>>You qualify if the company to which you subscribe keeps accurate records for proof. Once taken to court, Dish Network offered no records of any of their subscribers. You may have "grandfather status", but because of Dish Network's lack of record-keeping in accordance with the same law, you have no status when it comes to Dish Network.<<

That makes sense... I've resigned myself to losing the DN's. For me it's the principle of not giving the NAB the satisfaction of watching the locals (Since the big three networks have settled with Dish and it's the NAB pushing this agenda). If Dish loses this battle, I can hold out a few more years for IPTV.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
We just received the following new Dish Network conversion memo from DIRECTV, which was sent to all Nationwide authorized dealers as well as indpendent dealers in the effected areas.

The “Switch from Dish” $150 Cash Back Offer will be available to new DIRECTV customers in the 10 markets listed below (all channels of distribution). To be eligible, customers must submit their last Dish bill AND their first DIRECTV bill along with the completed redemption form. Eligible customers will receive $10 credits on their account each month for 15 months.

GROUP 1 – Markets where DIRECTV has all locals & Dish customers will lose all

Mankato = (ABC, NBC, CBS or FOX on DNS)
Rochester MN = (ABC, NBC, CBS or FOX on DNS)
Springfield-Holyoke = (ABC, NBC, CBS or FOX on DNS)
Wilmington NC = (ABC, NBC, CBS or FOX on DNS)
Zanesville = (ABC, NBC, CBS or FOX on DNS)
GROUP 2 – Markets where DIRECTV has locals & Dish customers will lose *one*

Monterey-Salinas = (ABC is on DNS)
Juneau = (FOX is on DNS)

GROUP 3 – Markets where DIRECTV has locals & Dish customers are missing one (already) and there is NO DNS option today

Corpus Christi = (No ABC)
Myrtle Beach-Florence = (No NBC)
Lafayette LA = (No NBC)

Offer

· Current DISH customers hear of the “Switch from Dish” $150 Cash Back Offer via radio, newspaper, or DIRECTV (inquiry or escalation). New, low risk customers may submit order through ANY sales channel.

· Offer Dates:
· Purchase by Date: 8/21/06 – 10/02/06
· Activate by Date: 11/02/07
· Postmark by Date: 12/02/07
· These customers will be required to meet all the following eligibility rules in order to be eligible for the 15 monthly $10 Credits.

· Last Dish bill and first DIRECTV bill must be submitted along with redemption form
· New DIRECTV customers only (validated by welcome message on copy of bill)
· Low risk credit score (validated by presence/absence of fee on copy of bill)
· Must activate within the offer dates
· Must reside in eligible market area (validated against the zip code file)
· Must provide copy of first bill
· Activate TOTAL CHOICE ($44.99 or above) or Seleccion Extra ($29.99 or above) or World Direct ($29.99 or above) as validated by TAOS

Miscellaneous Information

DIRECTV will post the “Switch from Dish” $150 Cash Back Mail-in Redemption Form PDF file so that eligible customers can download and print the forms themselves.

-Robert

Newscorp putting a little pressure on Dish to up the settlement amount?

I know I'd only go the D* route if they'd guarantee the distants to me. I have no interest in my third-rate locals.

>>Newscorp putting a little pressure on Dish to up the settlement amount?

I know I'd only go the D* route if they'd guarantee the distants to me. I have no interest in my third-rate locals.<<

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!

I agree with you 100%

If network programming is such a trivial matter why are you getting in such a snit? They local affiliates don't care what you think - they own you. If you want network programming you will have to go to the authorized outlet. Getting all pouty because you can't have whatever you want is childish

No they don't 'own' me. IPTV is ending that..?

Is it? Then why are you even bothering to worry about the issue?

Would you prefer more tangible constraints like handcuffs? If you are such a whiz that you know an archaic business model when you see one, why aren't you hobnobbing with Warren Buffet and Bill Gates? Could it be, just possibly, that you are not as brilliant as you think?

If you are authorized, it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. However I do not believe that such action (as I understand what you are saying) would be legal. Do the names Kazaa and Napster ring a bell? Why don't you start your own network programming sharing service and live your dream? I will be watching (legal) DNS as you are doing the perp walk in an orange jumpsuit. At least you'll have time to explain the importance of IPTV to your new roommate. Don't drop the soap.

Is it? Then why are you even bothering to worry about the issue?

>>Because the government is telling me what channels I can and can't watch.<<

>>Would you prefer more tangible constraints like handcuffs? If you are such a whiz that you know an archaic business model when you see one, why aren't you hobnobbing with Warren Buffet and Bill Gates? Could it be, just possibly, that you are not as brilliant as you think?<<

Don't be suck an ass about this... if you can't see that artificially protecting network affiliates is an archaic business practice, it is not my fault.

>>OK, so the local affiliates will not be upset if I download network programming off the net?

If you are authorized, it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. However I do not believe that such action (as I understand what you are saying) would be legal. Do the names Kazaa and Napster ring a bell? Why don't you start your own network programming sharing service and live your dream? I will be watching (legal) DNS as you are doing the perp walk in an orange jumpsuit. At least you'll have time to explain the importance of IPTV to your new roommate. Don't drop the soap.<<

Well then, you don't know much...

http://abc.go.com/fes/index.html

And check this out...
http://www.slingmedia.com/slingbox/faq.php#11

BTW, why are you so bent on protecting the locals?

srbond said:
>> Now we know why you used to be a broadcaster, as you clearly didn't understand it. Signal are not leased in any form or fashion. They are granted for the public's safety, convenience and neccesity.<<

That business model is dead and no longer useful.

As stated, it doesnt matter as the signals are not leased. You are wrong on all counts and again showing why you are no longer a broadcaster. You didn't get the basic premise of operation in the past or in the future.

srbond said:
>>The signals cannot air copyrighted material to which they are not licensed any more than they can go to Blockbuster, rent a DVD that has not even made it to HBO or Showtime and air it.

Clearly you must have flunked your broadcast law class.<<

Hardly the case. How long should the feds 'protect' local stations?
We no longer need the locals to retransmit signals that can no be pulled from one source.

Again, showing why its good you are out of broadcasting. Why should local stations use a network if they can go to Blockbuster and show movies that were in theaters several months ago. Clearly you do not understand copyright and ownership laws.

srbond said:
I will ignore your other insults and remind you that IPTV will finally (and rightfully so) kill off the dinosaur locals.

I have found a source to download my favorite network shows.... and will not need the local stations.

lol....The truth comes out. Radio heard that with TV. TV heard that with cable, vhs and dvds. Yet all are still around.

Let me remind you that there is a very famous Harvard Business School case study on why the oil companies should have gone Bankrupt about 5 times.

And when a local disaster happens in your market, you better hope and pray the local dinasours are still around.

Last edited:
srbond said:
if you can't see that artificially protecting network affiliates is an archaic business practice, it is not my fault.

This just proves you made one right decision - to get out of broadcasting. Clearly you do not understand that without the local affiliates THERE IS NO NETWORK and the funding is not there for the the Network Programming which you will not see via IPTV or Internet Download if the network doesn't exist in the first place.

The government is protecting copyright holders. That is the reason the Patent office has been in existance for hundreds of years. The net does not negate copyright laws just as the invention of a copy machine did not make it legal to copy books. I guess the government was just protecting Doubleday, Bantam and other Book Publishers there too?

srbond said:
>>OK, so the local affiliates will not be upset if I download network programming off the net?

If you are authorized, it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. However I do not believe that such action (as I understand what you are saying) would be legal. Do the names Kazaa and Napster ring a bell? Why don't you start your own network programming sharing service and live your dream? I will be watching (legal) DNS as you are doing the perp walk in an orange jumpsuit. At least you'll have time to explain the importance of IPTV to your new roommate. Don't drop the soap.<<

Well then, you don't know much...

http://abc.go.com/fes/index.html

And check this out...
http://www.slingmedia.com/slingbox/faq.php#11

srbond said:
How do I sign up to get Dish or Direct for my van... is it possiblle to get the DN then?

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=651634#post651634

So much for you not needing Distants as you are able to get everything off the net :D

Last edited:
srbond & ThomasRz

It would be helpful if you would follow normal formatting protocol when quoting posts? Look back on your respective replies in this thread and then how others reply to see the difference. If you haven't yet learned how, just ask.

waltinvt said:
srbond & ThomasRz

It would be helpful if you would follow normal formatting protocol when quoting posts? Look back on your respective replies in this thread and then how others reply to see the difference. If you haven't yet learned how, just ask.

Why does it matter?

HDTVFanAtic:

There will be a day when the big four networks will offer their programming direct to consumers in another medium other than retransmitting it via affiliates.

I'll bet that you work for an affiliate since you refuse to look at the big picture and keep holding on to a model of broadcasting that is no longer relevant.

The world is changing and there is nothing the NAB, nor the locals, nor you can do to stop it.

As for radio, it is a shell of what it used to be. People can get their weather off of weather radios and news in real time from the internet now. It is just a matter of time before satellite radio forces some signals to go dark. The same will happen with local TV stations. If they refuse to reinvent themselves, they will die.

Even print media is feeling the Internet…. They are adapting by changing from printing to paper to cyber.

I left broadcasting because of the archaic thinking… and now it is fun to watch the advertising dollars shrink and their operating costs increase.

Enjoy!!!!

Uplink Activity for 10-18-2006

Vip 211 OTA Guide

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)