Dish Network: Distant Networks

jhamps10 said:
I don't agree with ya this time scott. I don't think that E* will be able to work out a deal now, Charlie took way too long, and now the Government and NAB are mad at him. just took too long for charlie to realize this one.
Now? I'm not sure there's been a time when they weren't mad at Dish for something.

Besides, "D" has always been the NAB's little protégés, so they've been waiting for this moment.

On the other hand, congress stands to get a lot of flack just before the election, which is why they've asked the parties to "settle". "Settle" meaning "if you can't work it out, at least stall this mess until after Nov".

Any bets on who the last holdout will be on any type of settlement?:D

I don't think the plug will be pulled on all DNS...I feel a settlement will be reached. However, Charlie has dealt last card and will now have to pay a hefty penalty to keep offering DNS (a mid-nine figure amount in my opinion).

Who loses? We do! You can look forward to locals and DNS jumping up a buck or two every month next year thanks to Charlie. And you can bet Charlie will get on his Charlie Chat pulpit and blame the networks for the drastic price increase.

If it weren't for the innocent customers, I would love to see DNS shut down...just to see Charlie spin this one.

Supreme Court Just Said NO

fredfa said:
But that last hurrah could come (unless EchoStar reaches an agreement) long after it has to shut down DNS service -- most likely in the next few weeks.

The presiding judge has consistently denied requests for an extension. So even if the 11th Circuit Court appeal is filed by October 17, no decision would likely come for some time........

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601086&sid=akPOrPxYbWmM&refer=news

fredfa said:
Dish still has avenues of appeal.

Justice Thomas just refused to delay the ordered implemtation of DNS shutdown.

Dish could appeal to the whole supreme court, but do you really think they would consider this important enough to have the whole court look at issuing a stay if Thomas already said no?

The problem is that they will not appear before the court until the fall. And then they would have to wait for a decision, who knows when one would be issued. The distants could be cut off at any time. They would not be turned on again until a favorable ruling is issued (or never until the law is changed if the lose).

Looks like the only way out of this is to settle it and have the suit dropped before they get cut off.

riffjim4069 said:
I don't think the plug will be pulled on all DNS...I feel a settlement will be reached. However, Charlie has dealt last card and will now have to pay a hefty penalty to keep offering DNS (a mid-nine figure amount in my opinion).

Who loses? We do! You can look forward to locals and DNS jumping up a buck or two every month next year thanks to Charlie. And you can bet Charlie will get on his Charlie Chat pulpit and blame the networks for the drastic price increase.

If it weren't for the innocent customers, I would love to see DNS shut down...just to see Charlie spin this one.

I'll pay a buck or two extra a month to keep the distants. I have even told the executive office this when speaking about this issue a couple weeks ago. Would anyone who has the distants really not be willing to have a slight price increase? It certainly beats the alternative of no distants if that's what it'd come down to.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Folks I DO NOT believe that there will be a DNS shutdown.

I think they will work out a deal and will continue to offer EAST and WEST coast Distant network feeds.

I agree Scott. E* has tried to the court route to get around settling, and it isn't happening. It's time for Charlie to pay the $ and settle. I don't see a shutoff happening, it harms E* in too many ways and puts them at a competitive disadvantage in the future.

If DNS gets turned off and then E* ends up sh*tting down it's DVR service, it's goodnight Dish Network. The company will be out of business within months. Just the loss of DNS may be enough to kill it.

Yea hasn't been a good past month or so for E* with all these lawsuits left and right. But for Charlie, if you love to sue people like he does, you have to be prepared to be sued as well, so I am sure it doesn't phase him.

Nonsense. DNS and DVR is a critical issue for a minority of the millions of customers E* has. DNS would die naturally as LIL completes. It just seems like a big issue because of the intense emotions of the afficianados that inhabit this board.

minnow said:
If DNS gets turned off and then E* ends up sh*tting down it's DVR service, it's goodnight Dish Network. The company will be out of business within months. Just the loss of DNS may be enough to kill it.

This is nothing but censorship on the part of the US government prompted by a special interest group (NAB)..

Today’s technology provides for me to view any station from anywhere in the world, but the government says that I can only view the closest station to my home.

Why is the government protecting this archaic form of broadcast television when technology has definitely passed it by? The truth is that the Internet will be the final nail in the coffin for broadcast television. Embrace change or die.

Wait another year or two when streaming television shows becomes even more viable… will broadcasters and the government try to stop that too?

Plain and simple, if I lose my distant signals, NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX will go unwatched in my household… I’ll stay with the non-broadcast channels.

mikew said:
I was a bit confused with who your provider was (until I got to the part about Denver). D* is the abbreviation for DirecTV and E* for Echostar (Dish Network).

Sorry. Obviously I meant E*. It's an indication of confused I am. Meanwhile, as part of that confusion, how come these channels have suddenly become available?

Time to give up on distants on focus on the Vips going internet ready and starting up "DishSling" devices.

What ever happened to "less Government"? TOMass of all people!

srbond said:
Today’s technology provides for me to view any station from anywhere in the world, but the government says that I can only view the closest station to my home.

I understand and agree with your point but..
I live in a "white" area. I'd like to get the closest station, but I'm not allowed. I can choose NY but not Little Rock. I'd like to see the Arkansas Razorback games. I've been getting CBS from Atlanta just to be able to see SEC football. That's going away soon one way or the other. Local Cable? they show NBC NY, CBS Erie, PA.

What happened to being able to get your stations from the state capitol? Thought that was in the latest Shiva. (sorry if that is the wrong spelling or version)

'No more distants, don't worry you'll get locals' Since I only have an ABC "local", (the signal doesn't go through hills very well and isn't watchable here, it took a year but got a waiver.) What locals would I be allowed to get? Just ABC ?

Sorry for the rant.

Skip

srbond said:
This is nothing but censorship on the part of the US government prompted by a special interest group (NAB)..

Explain how. Whatever it is you want to watch is being watched by many, many people. And you can get whatever it is you want. You just can't get it how and when you want it. Throwing around charged words like "censorship" that are clearly not applicable makes you look dopey.

srbond said:

Really? Boy technology has really advanced. Please tell me how to receive local television from Novosibirsk, Russia. I really, really want it. If you can only get one station from Dish ("the closest"), you ought to consider cable.

srbond said:
Why is the government protecting this archaic form of broadcast television when technology has definitely passed it by? The truth is that the Internet will be the final nail in the coffin for broadcast television. Embrace change or die.

Because property rights are foundational concept of this nation. If technology has passed it by why are you complaining? You should be able to get whatever it is you want.

srbond said:
Wait another year or two when streaming television shows becomes even more viable… will broadcasters and the government try to stop that too?

Only if somebody tries to steal programming to put on it.
srbond said:
Plain and simple, if I lose my distant signals, NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX will go unwatched in my household… I’ll stay with the non-broadcast channels.

Well, that's a mature attitude. If I can't get exactly what I want, I'll hold my breath until I turn blue. Now I know why you created a new user name.

fin

ThomasRz said:
Nonsense. DNS and DVR is a critical issue for a minority of the millions of customers E* has. DNS would die naturally as LIL completes. It just seems like a big issue because of the intense emotions of the afficianados that inhabit this board.

Distants will hurt all the markets that do not have a local ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC in their market, so even if Dish goes to all markets LiL some markets would only have one station without distants. Perhaps they could still do significantely viewed to fill out some markets, but they are 60 or so markets away now from having 100% LiL as it is, they essentially would be surrendering all those markets to DIRECTV and cable.

DVR is even worse. DVR cuts churn by a large amount. I for one would dump Dish and go with DIRECTV or cable at once if DVR service was killed off. Dish would lose all the people that like DVRs and would keep a bunch of people from subscribing, and have higher churn. It would not be a pretty picture.

I suspect that Dish will settle the distants case. They will end up cutting off most of the DNS subs anyways. They will be forced to use a very strict test to see who qualify and end all grandfathering. Those that are cut off will not have much of a choice since they will not be able to go to another provider anyways.

On the TiVo front I expect them to end up doing a cross license deal with TiVo to end their suit against TiVo. Probably pay TiVo a small amount of money. Echostar will use their own patent case as leverage.

It's so comical to see people blame the NAB on this and to know how clueless the posters are.

Fox exited the NAB in 1999, NBC in 2000, CBS in 2001 and ABC a year later. ABC did rejoin in the last year.

Furthermore, E* has come to terms on DNS with ABC, NBC and CBS. The only network they have not come to terms with is FOX, who 1) isn't a member of the NAB and 2) Just happens to be owned by the same company that owns Directv.

Hmmmmmm....

HDTVFanAtic said:
It's so comical to see people blame the NAB on this and to know how clueless the posters are.

Fox exited the NAB in 1999, NBC in 2000, CBS in 2001 and ABC a year later. ABC did rejoin in the last year.

Furthermore, E* has come to terms on DNS with ABC, NBC and CBS. The only network they have not come to terms with is FOX, who 1) isn't a member of the NAB and 2) Just happens to be owned by the same company that owns Directv.

Hmmmmmm....
Aren't you forgetting the affiliate boards of ABC, NBC, CBS & Fox?

I do however agree that "D" is probably the major stumbling block to complete settlement. If "E" could get the affiliate boards settled, it would expose "D" (NewsCorp) which, even though it's not technically doing anything wrong (regarding the FCC terms of NewsCorp buying "D"), might make it obvious enough that a court would do something - although I don't know what they could do.

With the timing of "D" renewing it's partnership with TiVo, it's pretty obvious (to me anyway) what's really going on here.

>>Explain how. Whatever it is you want to watch is being watched by many, many people. And you can get whatever it is you want. You just can't get it how and when you want it. Throwing around charged words like "censorship" that are clearly not applicable makes you look dopey.<<

if one has the technical ability to watch New York or Green Bay, and is only allowed to view Green Bay to protect the little affilate, I call that censorship.

>>Really? Boy technology has really advanced. Please tell me how to receive local television from Novosibirsk, Russia. I really, really want it. If you can only get one station from Dish ("the closest"), you ought to consider cable.<<

I don't want the local channels period. I enjoy watching my LA and NY distants. Why should I want the bush-league locals?

>>Because property rights are foundational concept of this nation. If technology has passed it by why are you complaining? You should be able to get whatever it is you want.<<

When I was a broadcaster, my broadcast law class said nothing about 'propert rights'. Broadcast signals are leased from the feds and have nothing to do with 'property' rights... what are you smoking?

>>Well, that's a mature attitude. If I can't get exactly what I want, I'll hold my breath until I turn blue. Now I know why you created a new user name.<<

Why should I purchase something I don't want????

Thankfully in my houshold of five, of our total viewership, the broadcast portion is only about 10%, the rest is non broadcast channels. If I lose my DS, I will have no problems telling the local station to f.off. How is that not 'mature'?

Why do you want people to support the local stations?

HDTVFanAtic said:

Hmmmmmm....

The NAB along with the local affiliates are driving this.

Uplink Activity for 10-18-2006

Vip 211 OTA Guide

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)