Dish Hopper 3 Doesn't recognize external hard drive

dgcarver

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Bartlesville, OK
I have two Dish Hopper3's interconnected and both have external hard drives which have worked for several years. My wife and I are both able to watch programs recorded on each other's Hoppers. Recently, when I went to transfer some programs from the internal HD to the external HD, the external HD did not show up. After many reboots, swapping USB connectors, etc. I called Dish. After 30 minutes of discussion as the customer service guy was talking to the tech guy, they admitted that older HDs may not work with the latest software updates and that they have had many calls about the problem. OK, I can live with that, that's the nature of technology. Now, after I purchase a new HD, is there any way I can transfer the files from the old HD to the new HD? I have about 500 gig of programs but obviously, I can live without them if I have to.

• Wow
Reactions: navychop
Now, after I purchase a new HD, is there any way I can transfer the files from the old HD to the new HD? I have about 500 gig of programs but obviously, I can live without them if I have to.
Yes, there is. It requires a PC running Linux with Root Access and time. There are several write-ups on how to do this in this forum. Search should bring those threads up.

USB 3.0 made this easier as the fastest method used to be connecting the bare drives to the internal peripheral bus inside the PC case as USB 2.0’s 480 Mbps transfer rate meant a day or two to transfer larger drives. USB 3.0 is now fast enough that this isn’t an issue. If your old EHD is in a USB 2.0 enclosure, though, prepare to be patient.

Post in thread 'U548'
U548

Last edited:
Yes, there is. It requires a PC running Linux with Root Access and time. There are several write-ups on how to do this in this forum. Search should bring those threads up.

USB 3.0 made this easier as the fastest method used to be connecting the bare drives to the internal peripheral bus inside the PC case as USB 2.0’s 480 Mbps transfer rate meant a day or two to transfer larger drives. USB 3.0 is now fast enough that this isn’t an issue. If your old EHD is in a USB 2.0 enclosure, though, prepare to be patient.
Well, now it is working again.

I have several old EHDs. If I’ve lost those programs, it makes it harder to justify staying with Dish. Especially if a streamer picks up Food Network.

We watch on our 65 incher, not on small screens. Right now, you can go to Food Network and pick Dish as a provider and watch. But next year?

Reactions: charlesrshell
I left DISH after 25 years with them back at the beginning of 22. I liked the interface and the company, but the programming kept going up and the fees never seemed to drop. Now using Sling TV and I use my own antenna for locals I can record with my 4 tuner Air Tv anywhere device or my Next GEN 4 tuner Tablo. My programming is much cheaper at half the price I was paying DISH and no monthly fees for either.

That is a possibility. I’d hate to leave Dish after 20+ years, especially with so many EHDs. But I hear the ticking, and some fat lady just walked in.
Since I was away from home base, I wasn’t able to check on the Hopper 3 EHD. Now that I’m home, I can report it’s still recognized. I watched the EchoStar XXIII launch on an expendable Falcon 9 for 2017 and I’m currently watching the 2009 Australian Grand Prix from March 2009 that was recorded on Speed (I can’t remember if it was recorded on the ViP 622 or 722.)

Reactions: charlesrshell

ViP 722 will not allow you to view DVR

Updates coming quickly recently.