Dish HD OnDemand for 1080p only?

Justchecking

Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
California
I have a 780p TV (Samsung) connected via HDMI to my VIP612 HD-DVR receiver. When I try to order an HD video on demand, I get a message saying "receiver has detected that the HD TV or digital connection does not support HDCP...". Knowing this to be untrue (my TV DOES support HDCP), I called up Dish, and the agent told me that I'm seeing this message because the HD onDemand movies are only supported on 1080p TVs. Is this really true, or was she just blowing smoke? Sounds suspect to me.

Anyone with a VIP612/780p TV have success ordering HD onDemand? Or is my only recourse to connect the component cables?

Does you tv do 1080p? If it doesn't have that capability then you won't be able to see movies in 1080p. I noticed my Toshiba hd tvs all do 1080p even over component. I watched "Alice in Wonderland" in 1080p and I have the 922 run to my living room in hdmi and to my computer room by component . I saw that both tvs showed 1080p .

No, the max my TV does is 780p - but shouldn't I be able to watch 1080p shows on a 780p TV (just at a lower resolution)?
Just wondering if the tech rep was telling me the truth that 1) the HDCP error was showing because of my screen resolution and 2) I cannot view the program over HDMI at a lower resolution (780p, in my case).

720p

No, the max my TV does is 780p - but shouldn't I be able to watch 1080p shows on a 780p TV (just at a lower resolution)?
Just wondering if the tech rep was telling me the truth that 1) the HDCP error was showing because of my screen resolution and 2) I cannot view the program over HDMI at a lower resolution (780p, in my case).

There is no such thing as 780p. There are the standards 720p, 1080i & 1080p. A 720p will not be able to pass the 1080p test. So if you can watch the show it will only be in 720p. Can you watch it that way not sure but why bother, there would be no advance to it over watching the standard PPV version.

Sorry - yeah, 720p is the max. Some titles are only available onDemand, not via PPV, which is why I'm asking.

Does it make sense that I can't view the 1080p programming on my 720p TV?

Yes it does make sense. The 1080P programming is only for 1080P sets. They have to go through bells and whistles to send out a 1080P signal. It isn't like the standard HD programming.

YES

Sorry - yeah, 720p is the max. Some titles are only available onDemand, not via PPV, which is why I'm asking.

Does it make sense that I can't view the 1080p programming on my 720p TV?

The E* STB checks to see if your equipment will display 1080p. If it fails the test then it can't be watched in 1080p. Not sure if it gives an option to allow you to view or not since I have a 1080p Panny 42" plasma.

You do not need a 1080p TV to watch 1080p movies. They will play fine on 720p and 1080i TVs, and will actually look better than typical E* programming since they are not as bit starved since they are download rather than broadcast.

But the error you are seeing is not because of resolution, but an HDCP error, which means it doesn't believe your TV is a proper digital display device. Not sure if it will allow you to play the movie with that error or not. For some reason the Dish receiver and your TV are not communicating properly over HDMI.

There is a thread about some HDMI sets get the HDCP error.

What the Dish tech should have told you is you will have to use component to watch the VOD.

HDCP = High Definition Copy Protection. I know that the STB's talk to the sets, as does all the new gear via HDMI, that's how I found out that my DLP will reproduce all the formats as per the 722 HDMI Analysis page (Menu-6-3-Analysis-HDMI Test-Disp. Info-Info2 selection). But what does this have to do with HDCP? Other than make sure you're not hooked up to an HD Recorder. I checked this page first before I did any VOD just to make sure that I wasn't wasting my time on the DISH connection. I had read that there were issues in the STB properly reading the TV.

In need of a local installer near Cranberry Township PA...

Birdog ULTRA vs Birdog USB Plus 4.0

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts