Dish /Direct Merger Hits A Roadblock

The name mashups can be confusing.

DIRECTV is buying EchoStar DBS

EchoStar DBS is the "front end" business that sells internet and satellite streaming to the end user.

EchoStar Corporation has the frequency licences and owns or leases the satellites (among other businesses).
The KU spectrum is coveted with SpaceX and others trying to crowd into the assigned DBS frequencies for satellite to customer streaming with EchoStar screaming " Interference, Interference, We have priority rights".

There are a number of other "EchoStar" subsidiaries - an accountant's delight.

Lol this makes me laugh mainly because of those people that jump back and forth every 2 years riding promos. They won't be able to abuse the system no more.

Downside is I don't like Direct one bit so as long as the hardware stays the same, as long as they don't keep jacking pricing up and give me good deals from time to time I'll stay around however I think the days are numbers and off to the high seas I go.

Lol this makes me laugh mainly because of those people that jump back and forth every 2 years riding promos. They won't be able to abuse the system no more.

Plenty of other competition now, which makes that a moot point.

Reactions: charlesrshell
DIRECTV spent a whole lot more than $1 already on DISH. There's the matter of the $2+ billion injection of cash to meet the bond obligations.

People really need to get over the $1 novelty as it is misleading.
I would think TPG has built in protection for the $2 billion payment like if the sale doesn't go through Echostar would have to pay them back. If not than TPG is dumber than I thought.

I would think TPG has built in protection for the $2 billion payment like if the sale doesn't go through Echostar would have to pay them back. If not than TPG is dumber than I thought.
Reasoning what should be isn't reasonable. It comes down to how badly TPG wants to get into the wallets of DISH subscribers.

You may remember the screwing that DIRECTV gave DISH on the previous DISH-initiated merger attempt.

DIRECTV spent a whole lot more than $1 already on DISH. There's the matter of the $2+ billion injection of cash to meet the bond obligations.

TPG , who runs both Directv and DISH, gave the $2.5 billion to Charlie for his November debt payment. I am well aware of that and even have the news story book marked on my computer. So if you add the $9 billion in DISH debt to the $2.5 billion for Charlie Ergen, TPG is $11.5 billion in the hole now, from buying DISH and Sling TV for that $1.00.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Exactly... It's common practice for contracts and deeds to include "For one dollar and other good and valuable consideration" as the price. The "other good and valuable consideration" is documented as a separate negotiation.

Looks like It’s official Directv Buying Dish