Diseqc actuator/Polar mount.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Well, what the Vbox does is intercept the DiSEqC commands from the reciever and convert them into signals that will control a regular 36v actuator or motor like used a big dish. I believe Cascades actuator isn't like a regular actuator used on a BUD but is instead kinda like a cross between a linear actuator and one of the small DiSEqC motors in that it recieves DiSEqC commands and power form the coaxial cable just like those little motors do. Therefore I doubt the Vbox would be of use with it.

Anyway, one thing you could do that might perhaps help a bit is to always make sure your tuned to a horizontal transponder before moving the dish. This way the voltage on the line will be 18V which may help compensate for the voltage drop along the length of your cable. Other than trying to shorten your cable run that's about the only practical idea I have.

Stefan said:
Well, what the Vbox does is intercept the DiSEqC commands from the reciever and convert them into signals that will control a regular 36v actuator or motor like used a big dish. I believe Cascades actuator isn't like a regular actuator used on a BUD but is instead kinda like a cross between a linear actuator and one of the small DiSEqC motors in that it recieves DiSEqC commands and power form the coaxial cable just like those little motors do. Therefore I doubt the Vbox would be of use with it.

Anyway, one thing you could do that might perhaps help a bit is to always make sure your tuned to a horizontal transponder before moving the dish. This way the voltage on the line will be 18V which may help compensate for the voltage drop along the length of your cable. Other than trying to shorten your cable run that's about the only practical idea I have.

You guys read my mind.
I'm looking for a Vbox right now and a standard actuator, I'm getting too much loss down the co-ax to make this useable.
The Jaeger positioner is basically a standard actuator (12") with a diseqc module bolted onto the back.

Keep in mind that with the Vbox you'll have to run an extra cable from the Vbox out to your actuator or motor. This cable will have to have 4 wires in it. 2 of them connect to the motor and control it. The other 2 connect to the magnetic reed sensor inside the actuator that sends back pulses when the motor turns. Also be very careful to connect the correct wires to each. That is make sure you don't accidentally connect the motor wires to the reed switch or you may burn it out.

The DP710 v box is different from the v box II. It has the 12v / 18v power to the motor by the 75ohm cable. Has the option for a 36 volt motor, but is suppose to work fine with 12v / 18V motors by the cable.

jerryt - can you clarify for me?
I ordered the DP710.
As far as I'm aware it has standard actuator spring clips on the back, am I right in saying that it won't control a BUD actuator?

Merged/renamed thread.
Some more pics:

Attachments

• IMG_9137.jpg
    IMG_9137.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_9136.jpg
    IMG_9136.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 235
How does the LNB get the proper skew angle with a polar mount?

I can see how the SG2100 positioner skews the dish from East to West, but with the polar mount the dish isn't being skewed. So how does it work?

Dish is still skewed, at least it looks that way to me.
Think H-H motor, but there's a different style motor behind it.

Well, I decided to order the Polar Mount for my CM 1.2m dish. I found a place that sells a 18" actuator for $19 and I will get the V Box DP710 to controll it. The only question I have is what type/kind of wire do I need to run to the actuator to control the limit switches? I was thinking of running some cat5 cable. Does anyone know if this will work?

jerryt said:
How does the LNB get the proper skew angle with a polar mount?

I can see how the SG2100 positioner skews the dish from East to West, but with the polar mount the dish isn't being skewed. So how does it work?

It's skewed exactly the same as it would be on an SG2100, it's basically the same principle.

Dishpointer said:
The only question I have is what type/kind of wire do I need to run to the actuator to control the limit switches? I was thinking of running some cat5 cable. Does anyone know if this will work?
i would use 4 strand "c band ribbon cable" it has all the wires you need for the actuator, plus 2 strands of rg6 for your lnbs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Amc 8

Need helpful tips to tuning in Satellites Telstar 5

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)