DirectvHD VS DishHD

chastulsa

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 4, 2003
Once Directv puts out the new 5 LNB Dish and if they launch 20+ new HD channels and there are still no indications of Dish launching new HD channels what will you do...?

I voted stay... why?

because as soon as charlie notices that 50% or more of his HD customers leave to go to the greener grass and his potential loss of every new HD sub he wont have any choice.

ShadowEKU said:
I voted stay... why?

because as soon as charlie notices that 50% or more of his HD customers leave to go to the greener grass and his potential loss of every new HD sub he wont have any choice.

Maybe yes, maybe no. 50% of E* HD customers, how many would that be, 100K or 200K? Maybe E* would think they can make more $'s by being the LIL king or the leader in international programming. I think E* makes a bunch more $'s from international programming then HD, so why would he spend millions to launch new satellites for HD with such a small customer base?

rad said:
Maybe yes, maybe no. 50% of E* HD customers, how many would that be, 100K or 200K? Maybe E* would think they can make more $'s by being the LIL king or the leader in international programming. I think E* makes a bunch more $'s from international programming the HD so why would he spend millions to launch new satellites for HD with such a small customer base.

Excellent point.

I change my vote to unsure

rad said:
Maybe yes, maybe no. 50% of E* HD customers, how many would that be, 100K or 200K? Maybe E* would think they can make more $'s by being the LIL king or the leader in international programming. I think E* makes a bunch more $'s from international programming the HD so why would he spend millions to launch new satellites for HD with such a small customer base.
If you have a Replay box, and check the guide on it you realize how much international programming there is on E*. I have to delete new channels every couple of weeks or so from the guide...As to the Hd, I have E* hd and AEP and D* sd and total choice with the distant nets, I am still under pegasus's claws for the next 60 days or so until D* totally takes over. (I tried to see if I could get NBChd yesterday, was told it was not ava I Called D* gave my info and was told I had to wait until they took over)I would have gotten a D* hd box today if Nbc hd was ava... Maybe E* willl have countered D*s coup by the time I am released from the clutches of Pegasus. Edit maybe by that time ( 2 months) I can either get an 811 to go with my 6000u (which I will keep regardless) or a D* hd box.

I'm staying, After readying all the posts of D* cramming 3 HD channels per TP and they don't even use 8PSK, they are sacrificing quality for quantity. I don't care about a bunch of channels just because they are "HD" I'm happy with the content on HDNet and the Games on ESPN.

Plus D* charges $10.99 for HD (I know it's free for 6 months) also if you want HD from D* it'll cost you at least $199 with E* I have my HD equipment for free.

GaryPen said:
I'll bet nobody can guess how I voted!

<Sarcasim> Well they did not have a Voom Choice, so my guess would be DirectTV. </Sarcasim>

I do find this poll rather stacked however. Twist it around and you would get the same response.

1) Dish adds 50 new HD channels and DirectTV fails on their promise
2) Stay with DirecTV with the broken promise of more HD

Even with the Tivo appeal, most HD early adopters would jump. Only have two choices and one with a huge upside, this is going to be very lopsided vote.

I am choosen not to vote on this.... This almost looks like a poll question that microsoft would send out to get the results they are looking for.

SHould have had some other choices including one that has Dish countering.

This looks like a poll Mini would posts..

The other options would be good, IF things were reversed. But, they're not. Chastulsa created his poll based on current, verifiable information and projections. The only HD projection Charlie makes is a negative one. (He even suggests his subs go to his competitors for HD, or any other programming that Dish doesn't offer.)

BTW, I don't have LOS for Voom, but wouldn't choose them, if I did. Cost (HW and service), lack of SD, goofy looking HW, no DVR, etc.

I'll switch when D* has more HD channels than E*, not vaporware, and when they have free equipment, and lower rates. If the quality keeps going down, I'll drop DBS and go with OTA high def. Nyaah!!!

Sony KP-65WS510
Panasonic 32" (I forget the model number)
Dish 811
Dish 311 (2)
DishPro 500 Dual LNB

GaryPen said:
The other options would be good, IF things were reversed. But, they're not. Chastulsa created his poll based on current, verifiable information and projections. The only HD projection Charlie makes is a negative one. (He even suggests his subs go to his competitors for HD, or any other programming that Dish doesn't offer.)

BTW, I don't have LOS for Voom, but wouldn't choose them, if I did. Cost (HW and service), lack of SD, goofy looking HW, no DVR, etc.

Sorry there Gary, I don't take press releases that will not see the light of day for a year as verifiable information and projections. Point in case, how many times did Microsoft release press releases on technology that never saw the light of day to freeze the market, keep customers from jumping, or attract people that are thinking of using competors products.

I have no beef with Chastulsa, just fell the poll is worded and layed out to give one result. Land Slide to D*. Not saying that was Chastulsa's intention, My guess is it was not. However, I feel there are a lot of other possibilties, and factors, and variables to this issue. That is why I stated why I choose not to vote on this one.

Personally, I think 95% of E* HD consumers would jump if D* came out with a significant number of additional HD channels over E*. If they do and E* does not have a counter, E* HD customers will start a migration that closely resembles the Gold rush days. So if Rubert can execute and Charley has not plan to counter, You will see a mass movement to D*. As someone eluded earlier, the HD audience in both camps at this point is a small percentage compared to the other SUBS. It is possible that Charley might let this happen, but only time will tell.

WeeJavaDude said:
Personally, I think 95% of E* HD consumers would jump if D* came out with a significant number of additional HD channels over E*. If they do and E* does not have a counter, E* HD customers will start a migration that closely resembles the Gold rush days. So if Rubert can execute and Charley has not plan to counter, You will see a mass movement to D*. As someone eluded earlier, the HD audience in both camps at this point is a small percentage compared to the other SUBS. It is possible that Charley might let this happen, but only time will tell.
I have both ships, only one in HD, was trying to hedge my bets by getting a D* hd box. Alas pegasus still controls my fate, so no HD ER nor Joey for now, come to think about it those are the last 2 nbc programs I watch...could wait until ER airs on tnthd, and till either joey is cancelled or syndicated...or E* adds HD bingo instead of more compelling content... :)Then jump ship, but I'll stay the course with E* for now.

Dish vs. Directtv

It all depends on what the offers are. We as consumers will decide which is best for us. If Direct offers a much better deal without degraded HD they can expect some customers. Believe me, the posters on this board will check out the reviews before jumping another direction. Personally, I'll take quality over quantity. That's why I dumped cable. Their PQ didn't even compare.

My intentions was to see what Dish customer really want. of cousre the 10 jazillion members of the forum didnt vote but if they did it would possibly gather some Dish exec attention and give me some more HD. Lets face it one day everything will be HD, soon alot will be. It appears to me Directv is making the bandwidth hapen as Dish...? Well according to posters Sat's are getting full. Dish already knows the average consumer will not put multiple dishes on the roof. Dish has to Sat's right now 3 if they roll out the super dish to everone as Charlie expects. Diretv has 5 so 2 more loctaions to add programming? What orbitals does Echostar own to whee the can construct a Dish that lookts a 4 or 5 locastions?

Ok guys/girls, what causes this..........

Yet another crazy setup idea

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)