DIRECTV HD BY SYSTEM OR RECEIVER

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dchatcher

Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
Arkansas
Is Directv HD provided by the system or receiver. The boss had HD turned on and he gets but I do not on a new HD receiver sent as a replacement to a faulty non-HD receiver. I bought a HD TV and the new receiver gets everything, but not in HD.

I went to PREFERENCES and said "SHOW ALL CHANNELS" but that does not help me. I suspect when the new receiver was activated, they did not turn on the HD, if its by the receiver and not the system. Any help would be appreciated.........THX

What receiver do you have?

Try. Menu=Setup=System Setup=HDTV=TV Resolution=1080i and/or 720p.

Since you just got an HD receiver to replace an SD one, you need to pay for HD Access in order to get HD.
If you already have that, then a re-authorization of the receiver might fix it.
This can be done within your DirecTV online account.

BTW, what dish do you have?

More info would be helpful...
What recvr model is the one your not getting the HD on ?
Is this on the same set up, meaning, your Boss, has HD, using what Dish set up and are you on the same Dish set up...

IF your on the same set up, do you have a BBC dongle on the back of your recvr. (IF your Dish set up is a SWM set up or your recvr is a H/HR23, you won't need the BBC).

Go to Menu/Set Up/ System Set Up/press Select on INFO and then go to More System Info
Look and see what your Dish Type is, (scroll down the page).

Is Directv HD provided by the system or receiver. The boss had HD turned on and he gets but I do not on a new HD receiver sent as a replacement to a faulty non-HD receiver. I bought a HD TV and the new receiver gets everything, but not in HD.

I went to PREFERENCES and said "SHOW ALL CHANNELS" but that does not help me. I suspect when the new receiver was activated, they did not turn on the HD, if its by the receiver and not the system. Any help would be appreciated.........THX

:welcome to Satelliteguys!
The first question to ask is "are you paying for hd?" and then "is hd activated on the account?".

The receiver is a new Directv HD receiver, I am on the road and do not have the model number. The dish is a Slimline 5. The boss called and authorized the charge for HD when he ordered my new receiver. He already had an HD receiver from a previous replacement of a faulty receiver and now he gets HD.

This system has 4 receivers off of the same multiswitch with One (1) dish and his is an HD receiver and he gets HD. The faulty SD receiver in my layover room was replaced last week with a HD receiver shipped from Directv. I had to call in to get them to turn on the new receiver and cancel the old receiver card. The new receiver gets all the channels but not in HD. I have a HD tv I just purchased since I thought I was going to get HD also.

My question is does Directv authorize the system or is it by the individual receiver.

Are you and your boss on the same account. What I mean is, do you have separate accounts and share a dish? If not, since HD is active on the account it should be showing up on all receivers on the account.

HD access will be turned on at the account level in their system and the authorizations will be added to the signal stream which will in turn be received (via dish) by the appropriate activated receivers; and thus channels on. (very basic explanation)

Like Jimbo said, it sounds like the bbcs aren't installed.

It's possible that when the "married' the card they used the SD card instead of the new one so the card isn't authorized for HD. Or the BBC isn't installed. I've had a few service calls where the box was drip shipped to the customer and the box wouldn't take the HD, the only thing I've found to work is swapping the box.

The receiver is H23-600 and all the receivers are on the same account. The dish type is set on 04: Slimline 5 and the switch type is set on multiswitch. It looks like Hutch may be right and when they crossed the old receiver to the new one, did not activate the new HD service. Is a call to them the only way to correct this?

Have you tried reauthorizing the service on the website? You may need to call in.

The receiver is an H23-600 and all the receivers are on the same account. The dish is 04: Slimline 5 and the switchtype is: Multipleswitch. It may be that when they activated the new card from the old SD one, they did not activate the HD since the other receiver gets HD.........

There should be a new card with the new receiver. The old card won't work with the new receiver.

The receiver is an H23-600 and all the receivers are on the same account. The dish is 04: Slimline 5 and the switchtype is: Multipleswitch. It may be that when they activated the new card from the old SD one, they did not activate the HD since the other receiver gets HD.........

You can easily log onto the account online and verify what receiver & card has authorization for what programming. The old receiver & and it's card should have been removed from the account and therefore couldn't get authorization.

Last edited:
Well if he is getting the SD channels that ate in his package and just not the HD stuff the access card is not the problem. If he needed a new card then he would not get anything on that receiver SD or HD.

Well if he is getting the SD channels that ate in his package and just not the HD stuff the access card is not the problem. If he needed a new card then he would not get anything on that receiver SD or HD.

Good point! Since he has an H23, the bbc is out, too!

BBC is outta the question then cause of the receiver but when Directv drop ships a box they marry the new access card to the account and most times they just transfer service from the defectives receivers card to the new one. Rarely do they actually "add" anything to the card when they do this. That's why I believe it's a card issue. I agree with the other guy, try resending authorization to it and if it fails call Directv and ask them exactly what was done when they activated the new receiver.

Jimbo said:
The more I read about this, the more I think it is the BBC's.

Has he tried refreshing the recvrs ?

What does he get when he goes to a HD ONLY channel ? 306 for example.

But he says it is an HR23 so BBC's can't be the issue on the 23 series since they are built in.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sports Pack Question re: Fox Deportes

MLB EI vs the Half Season

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)