DirecTV DVR hookup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Catlynn

Original poster
Nov 8, 2004
Hello! I currently have 2 basic DirecTV receivers and would like to replace one with a DVR. If we can watch different stations at the same time does that mean we have a Dual LNB dish? Got the system in January of this year. The dish is a hughes and the receivers are samsung and were ordered from DirecTV. Is this system new enough to not need a multiswitch so I can just run another cable from the dish to the living room were I want the DVR. Is the installation easy enough for self install because I would prefer to pick out my own receiver instead of whatever model DirecTv provides?

Thanks!

More than likely they will need to install a multi-switch, and run a second coax line to the location where you want the DVR.

Most systems that are labeled as "dual-lnb" have a single LNB with two outputs.
See http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._3/002-6488696-5948859?v=glance&s=electronics

If you have a Phase III dish - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...e//002-6488696-5948859?v=glance&s=electronics - Then you would not need a multiswitch, but, would still need the additional coax to provide the second line to the DVR.

It is not impossible to do yourself (Includding installing a Phase III dish) but can take some time.

If you do decide to install the unit yourself - I would recommend getting a Phase III dish over a multi-switch. Then you are set for the future if you decide to get HDTV, etc. Just be prepared to take some time to get the dish properly aligned.

Frank

Frank, I have a single with 2 outputs. If I use a multi switch then I wouldn't need to run another cable from the Dish? Do you hook the incoming cable from the wall to the switch and then 2 cables out from the switch to the DVR? Thank you!

The 2x4 multiswitch requires both lines from the dish to be connected to the inputs. Then all four outputs are capable of independant reception.

Also, bear in mind that when you purchase the DVR from DIRECTV, all necessary parts & labor for installation (including, in this case, a 3x4 multiswitch) is included. It is worth it, considering that not only does the DVR need two separate cables for full functionality, both lines would need to be grounded properly according to local electrical code, which can vary even from county to county. It also needs to have a continuous land-based phone line connection for proper operation: TiVo does not recommend the use of wireless jacks. If there is not a phone jack nearby, the tech can usually install one for a custom charge (usually about $40).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

picture in picture, picture in guide

dvr help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)