Please reply by conversation.

S43R80

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 22, 2004
Hey guys:

Some of this is copied form a thread i just created in the dish network forum:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=29254

Well, I posted here a while back when I was considering switching to dish network ('cause of poor reception w/ cable provider + cost + other reasons). In the end I decided against it just because it looked very difficult/expensive to get a 5-room installation (something that I really want);

Is it still difficult to get a 5 room installation? Can one satellite work w/ 5 rooms? Are there any 5-room deals offered by reputable companies?

Anyways, I had my cable provider here today to try to fix my reception problems...in the end he said that my whole house needed to be re-wired (even the signal coming into the house was horrible) and that satellite was probably the best way to go (free installlation + my cable company does NOT do fishing which he said i'll need for 1 or 2 rooms).

Do you guys know of any (reputable) companies (Dish OR direct tv) offering 5 room packages w/ free or minimal installation fees?

Are they (direct tv and dish) still making you guys attach phone lines to each reciver you have? If I recall correctly, it was an extar $5!!!! per month if you did not have a phone line connected.

Thanks

well I have a 5 room directv setup. I ordered directly from DirecTV. I believe it was first three receivers were free and I paid $49 for each additional basic reciever. It was also free installation. So, I only spent like $150 with tax.
You are supposed to hook all your receivers up to a phone line but are not required to do so to have things work. There is no fee NOT to have your receivers plugged into a phone line.
I don't think you can go wrong with satellite. Between Dish and DirecTV I would choose DirecTV. I was with Dish for like 8 years and only with DirecTV for about a year and like DirecTV a lot more. Also, now I also have an HD receiver and a Tivo so I've upgraded throughout the year.

We have a 4 room system for free and charge $49.99 for the fifth receiver as we need to include a 3x8 switch, pay the installer to run the 5th line and supply the 5th receiver. DIRECTV subsidizes the first 3 receivers and installation for 3 STB only. Shipping is $10. per STB.

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
We have a 4 room system for free and charge $49.99 for the fifth receiver as we need to include a 3x8 switch, pay the installer to run the 5th line and supply the 5th receiver. DIRECTV subsidizes the first 3 receivers and installation for 3 STB only. Shipping is $10. per STB.

Hi,

Does this 5 room setup (4 free + $49.99) include 5 individual tuners (no dual tuners)?

Sorry, but what does STB mean? You said that "DIRECTTV subsidizes the first 4 recievers"; what does this mean exactly? Are you saying that the fee would be more than $49.99?

Also, are telephone lines required to be plugged into the tuners? I remember reading that dish would charge $5.00 extra monthly for each unit not connected. Also, does it have to be connected to a phone line for DVR-tivo?

$50 shipping for the package?

If I need a wall fished, what would the extra fee be?

Also, I wish to get local channels only from my cable provider (simply because it reduces the cost of cable internet). The cable tech said that after I get direct tv, there will be a device (switch?) which has an input, where he can just plug the cable line into for my local channels for the tvs; is this something extra or included?

(I couldn't find any mention of a 5th tuner on the valueelectronics site).

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm hoping to subscribe to direct tv in the next day or so.

Thanks

BTW Not to be rude, but how does valueelectronics differ from rapidsatellite?

DirecTV doesn't do dual tuners(except on the DirecTivo but that's different) so each room would have its own reciever.Phonelines aren't required for any of it(provided you don't want to order PPV (but you can order PPV online) or get any sports packages) although your DirecTivo would be happier, they're going to charge you an extra $5/month for each reciever so you'll be paying $20/month for mirroring fees. So there's the questions some guy who's browsing around at 4:30 in the morning can answer :) It also looks like RapidSatellite might be cheaper pricewise because they're offering 5 recievers with dish for free, plus shipping but I have no clue how much that is.

Darkwing posted very accurately. We do charge $50. for shipping 5 receivers, dish and 3x8 switch and $49.99 for the 5th set top box (STB).

We use independent Certified SBCA satellite technicians and the costs to fish coax is discussed with the technician before the installation. We provide the phone number of your technician when you place your order.

No DIRECTV STB requires a constant phone line connection, however, one is recommended and it does not interfere with the routine operation or use of your phone line. Wireless phone jacks are available or pulling a cat5E with the coax might be a good idea.

Call us and other dealers to get a better idea which deal matches your situation best.

-Robert

Hi, last set of questions:

Is the 3rd input of the 3x8 switch for local channels (from a cable provider)?

Is a 3x8 switch w/ a dual LNB the "best" way to go?

Why is it "recommended" to have a phone line connection?

Eah, it seems that I was a bit confused. I thought dual LNB meant that the dish had 2 coax cables running out (and triple had 3), but I see that dual refers to looking at 2 satellites and triple at 3.

So, if I do not want international or HD programming, all I need is the singl LNB model?

How many coax cables run out of the single LNB dish? I'm assuming that it must be 2 since a 3-8 switch would need 2 inputs.

Also, having this wide fan-out of 8; does it greatly reduce signal strength?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Local HD channels for the Michigan

can not get 119..what about voom?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts