Direct/Dish/Voom

firewall30

Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Scott Greczkowski, I plan to have an HD satellite system installed in the near future. Considering the changes that the industry is going through right now, if you had to start all over again (from scratch) which service provider would you choose?

Thanks,
Tony

Tony I would go with VOOM. (Don't buy it lease it)

Both Dish Network and DirecTV are going through some HDTV pains. Dish is falling way behind on HD content, and DirecTV is butchering HDTV by serving its customers HDTV lite.

Both companies are also planning on switching its encoding equipment from MPEG2 to MPEG4 which will require a swapout of ALL HD boxes to get future HD content.

VOOM on the other hand your leasing the equipment, get it and keep it for 6 months why DirecTV and Dish get their act together and finish ironing out their plans, this way you can enjoy HDTV now without spending anything (Ok if you order now its only $1) :) and you can let all 3 companies work to fight over who is the best HDTV provider. :)

Hope this helps.

i would like to get voom, but i think they won't be along much longer. right now my options are direct tv, local cable, or the upcoming verizon tv service. i will not go back to dish network unless serious changes are made with them. i currently have a good deal with cable and am waiting to see how direct tv and verizon pan out. right now verizon looks very promising.

As an up and coming voom customer I have to agree with Scott. It it's HD that you want then Voom is the way to go. Unless you need a DVR then well you already know the options otherwise Voom's should be out before the end of April. Remember that HD programming can be viewed on a digital and SD tvs and Voom is supposed to increase their SD lineup to 300 stations be the end of March.

korsjs said:
i would like to get voom, but i think they won't be along much longer.
You'll only be out a buck and a day off work for the install, what's to lose? Go for it, if Voom does quit broadcasting then you can choose another provider. If you do subscribe, you may help Voom stay around a little longer, so get off the fence and jump in the Voom pool, it's nice & cozy in here. ;)

jbcheshire said:
Danielle, how do you know that V*'s DVR won't be out till the end of April? From what i've been reading it is being suggested as March...

I merely stated that due to the fact that there is a rumor going around one of the cs call centers that the dvr may not be out in march and the time frame was closer to april if not sometime in April.

Notice I said rumor.

danielle_s said:
As an up and coming voom customer I have to agree with Scott. It it's HD that you want then Voom is the way to go. Unless you need a DVR then well you already know the options otherwise Voom's should be out before the end of April. Remember that HD programming can be viewed on a digital and SD tvs and Voom is supposed to increase their SD lineup to 300 stations be the end of March.

I have plans on getting the dvr and I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can have it when they come out to install my system on march 31st. Only time will tell.

danielle_s said:

The key word in this statement is (supposed). Which V* has had trouble with. And as a added thought their Motorola box (if they are still using it) has a Cable-like menu system. Once you get spoiled with a good menu system this one just doesn't cut it.

twodutys said:
And as a added thought their Motorola box (if they are still using it) has a Cable-like menu system. Once you get spoiled with a good menu system this one just doesn't cut it.
Except for a menu system on a DVR, I do not know a better menu system than Voom's. The only thing missing from that is an all subscribed channel lsiting. It's an all available or a favorite listing. There should be, IMHO, an all subscribed guide.

The Moto box from the local cable co, which is Insight, is much worse. It doesn't compare. The guide on the 3 (different) Dishnetwork boxes I have are much slower than the Voom box. For Directv, I only remember this from a few years ago, it really depends on the brand you bought. But it was comparable to Voom on some, not better.

But if you're used to a DVR menu system, you're right. It doesn't cut it. But that's apples and oranges.

MarcelV said:
Except for a menu system on a DVR, I do not know a better menu system than Voom's. The only thing missing from that is an all subscribed channel lsiting. It's an all available or a favorite listing. There should be, IMHO, an all subscribed guide.

The Moto box from the local cable co, which is Insight, is much worse. It doesn't compare. The guide on the 3 (different) Dishnetwork boxes I have are much slower than the Voom box. For Directv, I only remember this from a few years ago, it really depends on the brand you bought. But it was comparable to Voom on some, not better.

But if you're used to a DVR menu system, you're right. It doesn't cut it. But that's apples and oranges.

I was compairing to the D* HD boxes. Which can remember where you left off in the menu so when you go back into the menu you don't have to page thru again. Instead of going back to a default menu start screen that both V* and cable boxes do. Also the old hughes boxes for D* had an excellent menu system.

twodutys said:
I was compairing to the D* HD boxes. Which can remember where you left off in the menu so when you go back into the menu you don't have to page thru again. Instead of going back to a default menu start screen that both V* and cable boxes do. Also the old hughes boxes for D* had an excellent menu system.

Have to admit, don't know how good or bad the menu's are on the D* HD boxes. Remembering where you left off in the menu can be handy, have to agree. I believe I had RCA boxes if I remember well when I had D*, they weren't that good. But that's a long time ago....

I Have Dish, Ordered Voom 2 weeks ago, for a buck, can't go wrong, I have yet to here of an install date, or had any contact with them. My order says pending installation.

I wonder if they are holding until the End of Feb meeting to complete installs ?

Dishnetwork couldn't install....would anybody else????

Best Picture Quality - DISH or DirecTV?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)