Direc tv getting pricey!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
tvropro said:
These CEO's are making those kind of numbers and they have the nerve to raise prices! I'm sorry there is something wrong with that picture. Greed in motion!!

Then you're living in the wrong country. We don't limit profits. The cost of doing business is going up, so prices go up. Common sense.

BTW, in case if you haven't heard, D* CEO made $32.9 Million (compared to E* CEO making $800,000) so if you're wondering where some of your money is going, that's one answer.

Salary isnt the true measure of what either made. In the case of D*, his salary wasnt that high, and in the case of E* his salary wasnt all that he made.

No offense intended to Lern, because I have always found you to be one of the more fair posters on the forum. Still...... I do find it funny when people post a thread to complain about the price of something like sat and then say that they ALSO have the competitor hooked up in their home (while carrying the top package no less). I can tell you how to cut your bill by a bunch, easily! lol :D

Edit: yes they are both too high, I agree with that. Just humorous when you think about it in the context I mentioned.

Second Edit: If Diectv is your secondary system and you have THREE HRs with MRV, what in the heck do you have with Dish?

No offense taken. I have dish for main house system. Wife and Kids love the dvrs as do I. Direc tv has been my sports guilty pleasure.
I pay a premium to have all my Ny teams at home.
I buy all the sports packages.

Where I watch most of my direc tv programming is in my man cave\office.
I love the HD picture on direc!
Im also a movie buff. So late at night when I cant sleep, im off to my office
to watch a movie or sports.

Plus, I love the extensive tennis coverage for major tournaments.
When I signed a new contract I tried to work in a better total package.

They did some minor promo nothing great.
But Ive noticed that my bills have slowly creeped up.

Yes, can I downgrade? of course. But I feel that Ive been a loyal
direc customer for years..something ''special'' could be done.
I spend hundreds a year on sports packages maybe they could
discount the top package.

Ive called asked nicely to see what they can do.
I refuse to threaten or treat them poorly.

Fact is I love direc tv. Im not going anywhere right now.
They offer programming I love.

But Im disgusted with the pricing.

Its getting out of control.

Do you watch most of it in the office? Could you live with it not being at a set or two?
Perhaps you could cut a box or two.

Being nice while asking for what you want is the way to go for sure. I have had the best luck that way and have come away mostly satisfied anytime I have done it.

after 16.00 in credit I pay no lie, 118.88 a month I have Ultimate Pack, HD, HD Extra, Starz, 2 HD Boxes, 2 SD Boxes, PPlan, etc....

I guess its your preference, for me, I got rid of the sports pack soon, I have a 10.00 credit right now so its actually 2.99 a month, but soon Ill get rid of it, or hopefully keep getting discounts.

But like I said to each there own, I personally like my base channels.

Im in NY, and yes, Im sick of this whole YES network dispute. But Im not switching because I love Football, and have to have the NFL Ticket. Even at 350, I will buy it.

This is for all D* customers. If you have Choice Ultimate and Starz, then you're paying for the Encore channels twice since the Starz pack already includes the Encore channels.Downgrade your base package to Choice Xtra, keep Starz and you have the exact same channels but for $5 less.

Edit
: Just checked D* website to make sure I was right. Turns out you would lose The Movie Channel and the Sundance Channel but if you don't care about those, then you can take my advice.

Last edited:
This is for all D* customers. If you have Choice Ultimate and Starz, then you're paying for the Encore channels twice since the Starz pack already includes the Encore channels.Downgrade your base package to Choice Xtra, keep Starz and you have the exact same channels but for $5 less.

Edit
: Just checked D* website to make sure I was right. Turns out you would lose The Movie Channel and the Sundance Channel but if you don't care about those, then you can take my advice.

Yeah, I noticed that, called them and they gave me a 5 dollar discount for 6 months, I guess it is better than nothing.

And got a 10 buck discount off sports pack, so Im pay 2.99 for Sports for 6 months, and 6 for Starz I believe.

These CEO's are making those kind of numbers and they have the nerve to raise prices! I'm sorry there is something wrong with that picture. Greed in motion!!

Umm, last I checked, TV is not a necessity in life. If the idea of a CEO of a successful company making money, and the company making profit in general is offensive to you, here's an idea.. DON'T SUBSCRIBE. Seriously, I have never seen such a whiny bunch of misinformed tools in my life. Is it greed? Probably. But that is capitalism in action. When you have a premium product, you can price it at whatever point you want to, and if the people think it's a fair price for your product, they'll pay it. If they don't, they won't. Simple as that. If your competition has a better product or a better price, you will lose customers to them.

Where GREED comes into play is in the case of the oil companies. Gasoline and diesel are WORLD NECESSITIES. The price of EVERYTHING is tied to the price of oil. The price of oil over the past few years has not been tied to supply and demand (worldwide consumption has been flat, and supplies are up). It has been driven by the futures market. The oil companies have Wall Street futures traders on their payroll. They are manipulating the market prices to maximize their profits (since oil producing/refining companies like Exxon and BP take the avoided cost of oil as pure profit).

All you have to do is look what happened the last time oil skyrocketed and gas hit $5 a gallon.. It was all in the futures market, and when the White House threatened an investigation into oil futures trading, almost like MAGIC the oil market crashed. Now that there's a total dimwit in office who would never figure it out (as proved by the fact that he wants to tap the strategic reserves), they're taking another stab at it. They can basically hold the world hostage to pay artificially inflated prices directly into their pockets.

And not just what we pay in gas either. They are also getting what we pay in the form of increased food and petroleum-based material prices, higher prices of services due to increased transportation costs, etc. Increased business costs mean no money for raises, no money to hire. BUT THEY KEEP SAYING THE ECONOMY IS ON THE F'N REBOUND!! HOWS THAT CHANGE WORKIN OUT FOR YA?

Umm, last I checked, TV is not a necessity in life. If the idea of a CEO of a successful company making money, and the company making profit in general is offensive to you, here's an idea.. DON'T SUBSCRIBE. Seriously, I have never seen such a whiny bunch of misinformed tools in my life. Is it greed? Probably. But that is capitalism in action. When you have a premium product, you can price it at whatever point you want to, and if the people think it's a fair price for your product, they'll pay it. If they don't, they won't. Simple as that. If your competition has a better product or a better price, you will lose customers to them.

Where GREED comes into play is in the case of the oil companies. Gasoline and diesel are WORLD NECESSITIES. The price of EVERYTHING is tied to the price of oil. The price of oil over the past few years has not been tied to supply and demand (worldwide consumption has been flat, and supplies are up). It has been driven by the futures market. The oil companies have Wall Street futures traders on their payroll. They are manipulating the market prices to maximize their profits (since oil producing/refining companies like Exxon and BP take the avoided cost of oil as pure profit).

All you have to do is look what happened the last time oil skyrocketed and gas hit $5 a gallon.. It was all in the futures market, and when the White House threatened an investigation into oil futures trading, almost like MAGIC the oil market crashed. Now that there's a total dimwit in office who would never figure it out (as proved by the fact that he wants to tap the strategic reserves), they're taking another stab at it. They can basically hold the world hostage to pay artificially inflated prices directly into their pockets.

And not just what we pay in gas either. They are also getting what we pay in the form of increased food and petroleum-based material prices, higher prices of services due to increased transportation costs, etc. Increased business costs mean no money for raises, no money to hire. BUT THEY KEEP SAYING THE ECONOMY IS ON THE F'N REBOUND!! HOWS THAT CHANGE WORKIN OUT FOR YA?
I agree, But Gas and Utilities companys are claiming the economy its bad and they are doing everything possible to put the customer first, But yet the prices go up, and profits are on record scale, So what does that Tell you?

It tells me they refuse to make less profit, and when they think they might, they raise prices.

OK fine, But your talking about BILLIONS,

A 3 dollar increase is a $57,000,000 extra Million in their pocket. OK when your making Billions, is 57,000,000 such a big loss for D* , Yea I don't think so!

D* spending armloads of money right now in this market transitioning locals from 72.5. Gobs of free H24s and slimline dishes, got to pay techs to install'em. Got to be paid for somehow......monthly rec fees go up....fewer HD channels being added. Customers being locked in for 2 years w/upgrades....some paying now for HD programming.....a long term return on investment. Those folks with all those old std rec. and 2 round dishes weren't going anywhere anyway.

Its Econ 101......supply/demand. If you don't like it enough to pay the price, then don't.

BUT THEY KEEP SAYING THE ECONOMY IS ON THE F'N REBOUND!! HOWS THAT CHANGE WORKIN OUT FOR YA?

Working out great for me. Didn't really slack for me or my company AND with the bonus I got last summer was able to buy two great foreclosures to turn into rental properties! FREAKING AWESOME for me. Its all about those that were and continue to be prepared, that live within their means and key an eye out for what is going on in the world around them.

I want to thank whoever deleted my post replying to hemi. It was completely relevant to the conversation and there was no reason to delete it.

that would be me since it was reported as political which more than 1/2 your post was. We have a "no political posts" policy here...have had it for a while.

Umm ok, there were two lines in it that were political but relevant, not half the post but whatever, it obviously hit a nerve with someone. Undelete it and I'll fix it.

after X amount of time you cannot edit a post
ANd it was more than 2 lines but we're not gonna argue about it anymore

I agree, But Gas and Utilities companys are claiming the economy its bad and they are doing everything possible to put the customer first, But yet the prices go up, and profits are on record scale, So what does that Tell you?

It tells me they refuse to make less profit, and when they think they might, they raise prices.

OK fine, But your talking about BILLIONS,

A 3 dollar increase is a $57,000,000 extra Million in their pocket. OK when your making Billions, is 57,000,000 such a big loss for D* , Yea I don't think so!

Its all relative.
From the outside looking in, someone making billions can stand to lose a few million
From the outside looking in, someone making millions can stand to lose a few hundred thousand.
From the outside looking in, someone making hundreds of thousands can stand to lose a few thousand .
From the outside looking in, someone making in the thousands can stand to lose a few hundred.

Most all of us fall into one of those categories and being in our own unique situations, we know that the outside looking in scenario is not always accurate.

Edit: By the way, I dont care how many billion you make, you consider $56 million a big hit, or gain in profit.

just ordered MLB EI's and got a 5 buck discount off my base package for 6 months, on top of that from the other day I got 5 off of starz for 6 months, and 10 off sports for 6 months.

So, take 33.99*6 = 203.94 then the credits/discounts add to 120.00 to I paid about 83.94 for the EI. Per say.

Its all relative.
From the outside looking in, someone making billions can stand to lose a few million
From the outside looking in, someone making millions can stand to lose a few hundred thousand.
From the outside looking in, someone making hundreds of thousands can stand to lose a few thousand .
From the outside looking in, someone making in the thousands can stand to lose a few hundred.

Most all of us fall into one of those categories and being in our own unique situations, we know that the outside looking in scenario is not always accurate.

Edit: By the way, I dont care how many billion you make, you consider $56 million a big hit, or gain in profit.
Point is they were making HUGH profit before any increase.
Understand
It wasn't a 57 million dollar loss.
It was a 57 Million gained profit added to an already billions gained profit.

They wouldn't have lost anything, they were already making extremely high profit before any increase.

Directv is a publicly Traded company which means by law they are required to show the inside information.

We aren't talking about your checking account!

I haven't raised my rates in 3 years, Now you can consider it a Loss if you want,
But if I'm still pocketing $200,000 instead of $300,000 .
What did I lose,? Something I never had?

$57 Million to Directv is far less % then a $100,000 hit for me and my business, Difference is I'm not making millions in bonuses at my customers expence.

I raise rates and someone else gets the job, I can under bid just about anyone in my area and many others., Because I'm still working for the same pay as 2007.

Last year was the worst profit year I've had since my second year in business,
So do I charge my customers an extra $10,000 Each to make up for that?

D* from the BOOKS could have spared a year or 2 from an increase!

Last edited:
Hemi 6.1 said:
Point is they were making HUGH profit before any increase.
Understand
It wasn't a 57 million dollar loss.
It was a 57 Million gained profit added to an already billions gained profit.

They wouldn't have lost anything, they were already making extremely high profit before any increase.

Directv is a publicly Traded company which means by law they are required to show the inside information.

We aren't talking about your checking account!

I haven't raised my rates in 3 years, Now you can consider it a Loss if you want,
But if I'm still pocketing $200,000 instead of $300,000 .
What did I lose,? Something I never had?

$57 Million to Directv is far less % then a $100,000 hit for me and my business, Difference is I'm not making millions in bonuses at my customers expence.

I raise rates and someone else gets the job, I can under bid just about anyone in my area and many others., Because I'm still working for the same pay as 2007.

Last year was the worst profit year I've had since my second year in business,
So do I charge my customers an extra $10,000 Each to make up for that?

D* from the BOOKS could have spared a year or 2 from an increase!

You should stick to running your own business. You have no idea how this one operates.

RebelWithaCause said:
You should stick to running your own business. You have no idea how this one operates.

Just because he has a differing opinion than you or others, doesn't mean he doesn't understand how that business is operated. The total of all my endeavors earned over $21 million last year, and I donated to charity, so do I not understand business either? I hope my alma mater doesn't ask for the MBA back! Most businesses can afford to give back to their customers. Ever wonder what the markup is on satellite services?

Just because he has a differing opinion than you or others, doesn't mean he doesn't understand how that business is operated. The total of all my endeavors earned over $21 million last year, and I donated to charity, so do I not understand business either? I hope my alma mater doesn't ask for the MBA back! Most businesses can afford to give back to their customers. Ever wonder what the markup is on satellite services?
Don't worry about that guy, He just got off his forced Vacation Ice made him take. It won't be long and he'll be back on Vacation.

He never says anything but 2 lines of just BS.

Watch he'll just call you dumb, and say you have no clue what your talking about, and Never say or post proof of anything on His sad opinion.

Watch!:D:popcorn

Status
Please reply by conversation.

n00b HD DVR question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)