Did AMC-15 make it to 136W for testing?

John Kotches

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 21, 2003
Troy, IL (STL Area)
If I recall correctly, AMC-15 was supposed to arrive at 136W on 10/23, but I haven't heard whether or not it arrived safely at its testing orbit.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Cheers,

Same here... I did a blind scan at 136W some time over the weekend, don't remember what day exactly, and didn't see anything. Hopefully others with (legit) FTA receivers can keep up until somebody spots something.

That's because the new GPS feature has the Sat following me arround :haha

It's my new mobile Sat service. :dev

Seriously, I don't think we'll be waiting to much longer for it to be stationary. This type of detail doesn't normally warrant a Dish press release and sometimes the details can be delayed a day or two.

I wouldn't have guessed LyngSat's tracker would have followed this satellite on its way to its temporary 136W orbit. That's cool.

It's 'coming around the bend' so to speak.

Remember the info that lyngsat uses to plot the satellite location is not updated all the time. The date on the lyngsat info is 10/23 right now.. about 2 days old.

According to the Lyng Sat website, AMC-15 is still heading west past 136 W and is currently at about 163 W. I am wondering if it will go around again and try to eliminate the inclination which is at 2.76 degrees but should be very close to zero. There is also some question about the accuracy of the Lyng Sat website since it still has a 10/23/04 date on it.

According to Lnyg Sat, AMC-15 is now moving east. It was at 163.6 W and the latest has it at 163.3 W. The date on the Lyng Sat website is still 10/23/04.

Lyngsat does not tell you where a satellite is. It predicts where it would be based on where the satellite was at a particular time and on how it was moving.

An analogy.

A ship leaves New York harbor heading due east at 15 knots on 10/23/2004 at 13:00 (1pm). Where is the ship now?

If the ship continues on the same course at the same speed you can predict where it is now fairly accurately.

However, if the ship changes it's course and or speed your prediction will be off. Instead of being halfway across the Atlantic heading toward Europe it is in the Caribbean heading toward the Panama Canal.

Most satellites operate so that their course and speed stay the same and their position can be accurately predicted. AMC-15 is/was being maneuvered, changing course and speed in order to reach a specific location. As such trying to predict where it is now based on it's course and speed as of 3 days ago will not provide an accurate answer.

According to Lyngsat, it's now at 136.30w, but is not yet geostationary.

So, I guess with a little patience... ;)

ANyway, I'm really interested in seeing what happens when it gets parked at 105.

Cheers,

The problem with DVR's

Korean channel schedule information besides iskycom.tv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)