Choosing receivers

FoggyEthan

Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
San Francisco, CA
I'm looking to switch from DirecTV to Dish and I spoke to one of the reps on the phone, and I'm not convinced that her technical descriptions of the receivers and their abilities was accurate. I'm happy to get advice here directly, but also I'm happy to do some research if I'm pointed to some canonical website or thread that summarizes the options.

We have one room with an HDTV and another room with just SD. The SD room has no telephone or internet access available, except via WiFi. She wanted to set me up with a single HD DVR in the HD room, no receiver for the SD TV. But she didn't seem convincing when answering whether the DVR can record two things at the same time while both TVs are watching something pre-recorded.

When I asked about getting a second DVR she said it would cost $100 plus $10/mo. This seems excessive for an SD DVR. Of course when I tried to tell her I needed to think about it she wouldn't let me off the phone, and after several tries I had to hang up. But I guess that's what you get with commissioned sales people.

Looking at the Dish web site I saw the Sling box, and it would definitely be nice to be able to watch recordings while traveling. I'm afraid to ask how much extra that would cost.

Finally, having both rooms be able to watch any recorded program is a nice benefit.

Any advice would be appreciated!

A VIP 722/722K (HD TV1, SD TV2) will record three (722...2 sat and 1 ota) or four (722K with optional two tuner OTA module) programs at once while both TVs are watching pre-recorded shows. She was correct.

Just go with a ViP722 or ViP722k. You can run a coax from the TV2 output to the SD TV, and both TVs can watch independently. You can even record 3 or 4 streams and watch whats on the DVR at the same time.

And if you don't want to run coax to the SD TV, you can buy a wireless setup to transmit the audio and video to the SD TV. It'd be cheaper and better (usually) to run the coax.

Last time I checked, the sling-enabled 922k was an additional $200 for new subs. When I switched from DirecTV to Dish a few weeks ago, I got a 722k for 1 HDTV and 1 SDTV plus an OTA module for free. My bill is just the cost of my package (AT250) plus a $6/month DVR fee (plus tax of course). That saved me $10/month compared to my old DirecTV setup with an HR20, H21 and MRV.

You'll have to run a cable to your SD TV whether you get a 2nd receiver or not. I've done the wireless A/V transmitter in the past, and it works, but the PQ is poor and it's sensitive to interference. Dish will probably pull the cable for you.

Thanks for the comments. This leads to one thing I'm not clear about: both rooms do have coax leading to the roof and the satellite dish, but they are not connected to each other. And there's no reasonable way to run a cable between them without being very obtrusive.

The person on the phone said that this was fine and I wouldn't need a new cable. But she changed her answers to things as I asked more questions, so I wanted to be sure. If I don't need a new cable between the rooms then I can live with one receiver.

For the Sling, the docs only mention support for one TV. So do I understand correctly that I'd need a second DVR for the other room if I choose the sling for the main room? Really $10/mo for an SD DVR?

Thanks again,
-- Ethan

You can "backfeed" the RF output of a 722(k) up the same cable used to send down the dish antenna signal. This can then be hooked up to your other cable going to your 2nd SDTV. Piece of cake.

Done that w/OTA. Works well.

Cordless phones, microwaves, WiFi and flapping butterfly wings interfered with my wireless video setup.

For the Sling, the docs only mention support for one TV. So do I understand correctly that I'd need a second DVR for the other room if I choose the sling for the main room? Really $10/mo for an SD DVR?

Thanks again,
-- Ethan
You have a couple of options. You could split the output of the 922 if you don't mind watching the same thing in the other room. You can buy a slingbox and connect it to any DVR, like a duo 722k. Or you could get a 211 or 211k solo and add an external hard drive and only pay $7/month. Otherwise, yes, you are looking at $10/month. If you go the 211 route, factor in the cost of a hard drive plus a one-time $40 activation fee.

211k with 1000.2 -- no signal

Remote control question..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts