Channel Master Model NO 9510 A control box issue

Starr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 27, 2024
Northern
I have a Winegard Antenna, Model No. HD8200U, and a Channel Master rotor control box, Model No. 9510A. I came across a similar question from December 2021 about a CM 9510.

My pointer is gold, not red, and it moves. I haven't needed to adjust the rotor more than an inch over the years. However, I moved it last week, which was a significant error. The antenna moves, but I cannot return it to its original position, resulting in the loss of most of my stations. The rotator control box stops at North, which I believe it always has. It features three wires and lacks a recalibration button. How can I restore the antenna to its longstanding position?

Edit Perhaps this will be a moot point once my antenna wire is repaired but the problem happened the day before the antenna wire broke on rotor preventing me from getting any vhf channels. I can still get a couple uhf channels.

By the way, is it 'rotor' or 'rotator'?
Thank you !

Last edited:
I can't edit - antenna keeps moving until I physically stop it with the control box. Pointer keeps moving. it should stop on its own but doesn't.

It sounds like your cat broke a wire in the cable. There is probably a common wire, a + (clockwise) wire and a - (counter clockwise) wire. The controller energizes whichever wire is needed to turn the rotator motor in the desired direction, if the + wire is broken the rotator will only rotate counter clockwise until it comes to the stop @ north. This arrangement prevents the rotator from constantly wrapping the cable around and around the pole. You must repair the other wire so it has continuity do the controller can reverse the motor in the rotator to restore full functionality.

The rotator usually calibrates itself by rotating clockwise to north then counterclockwise back to north or vice versa, then there is a small lever somewhere on the controller that moves the indicator to synchronize it with the antennas position but the wires need to be fixed before anything else is attempted.

Reactions: FTA4PA and Starr
It sounds like your cat shorted out two wires in the cable.

The persistent connection there could very well burn up the rotator motor.

Disconnect all wires from the controller (noting which colors are to which lug) until the cable is repaired/replaced.

The rotator usually calibrates itself by rotating clockwise to north then counterclockwise back to north or vice versa, but the wires need to be fixed before anything else is attempted.
So that is how it got messed up. So the brake isn't out. I thought it always stopped at North but its been so long since I've had to move it I wasn't sure. That makes sense.. I won't use rotator till I get the wires fixed. Thanks much !!!

So that is how it got messed up. So the brake isn't out. I thought it always stopped at North but its been so long since I've had to move it I wasn't sure. That makes sense.. Thanks
Added - I can get a couple uhf channels 30 miles away - NO vhf stations period including the one 30 miles away. Thank you again.

I changed my suggestion after re-reading your synopsis - I don't think there is a short of two wires, just a broken one.

Reactions: Starr
The rotator has a DC motor in it that is reversible.

I haven't used a rotator for 30 years but I've torn the old ones apart to see how they work.

They are really very simple.

Mine had a cam in the rotator that the motor drove around once for every so many degrees the antenna was turned.

That cam sent a pulse down to the controller that energized a spring loaded actuator in the controller that moves the needle indicating where the antenna is pointed.

There is also a contact associated with that pointer that indicates which direction and how far you want the antenna to move.

When the indicator reaches the contact it shuts off power to the rotator motor and the antenna stops where you want it to stop.

My rotator did not have a brake but relied on a ring gear and pinion type of reduction to keep the antenna pointed where I left it and only a quite strong wind could budge the antenna due to the magnets in the motor resisting motion unless power was applied from the controller box.

Reactions: Starr and FTA4PA
The rotator has a DC motor in it that is reversible.

I haven't used a rotator for 30 years but I've torn the old ones apart to see how they work.

They are really very simple.

Mine had a cam in the rotator that the motor drove around once for every so many degrees the antenna was turned.

That cam sent a pulse down to the controller that energized a spring loaded actuator in the controller that moves the needle indicating where the antenna is pointed.

There is also a contact associated with that pointer that indicates which direction and how far you want the antenna to move.

When the indicator reaches the contact it shuts off power to the rotator motor and the antenna stops where you want it to stop.

My rotator did not have a brake but relied on a ring gear and pinion type of reduction to keep the antenna pointed where I left it and only a quite strong wind could budge the antenna due to the magnets in the motor resisting motion unless power was applied from the controller box.
Both the green and red are pretty frayed. Black is in tact. Nothing is actually broke . If you saw my original post about repairing antenna wire --- After reading your responses - I have enough slack to cut it off and rewire it to the control box, correct? . I just have to match the right colors. Box will have to sit on the floor, but that is ok. When someone comes to help me they can fix it and solder it and tape or shrink it : )) Is that a plan?

Reactions: FTA4PA

Suggestions for new rotator control box please

Winegard Pre amp question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)