Change Zip Code For Local Channels

11555h

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 25, 2021
Southern Michigan
If I lived 2 miles east of where I do I would get Detroit local channels which I would like to have. As it is, I have to get Lansing local channels. Is there anyway to to get that changed or is Dish pretty stuck to that policy? My son has Comcast and got his locals changed somehow. I have read a few threads on this subject but am a little confused. Thank you

Local channels are based on your home address, mainly zip code. We're unable to change your satellite based locals unless you move to a new address. If you want locals in close proximity, I would suggest an OTA and OTA adapter.

Move in with your son, at least on paper. If that will work.
Yes you could do that. Simply call DISH and tell them you have moved your equipment to that address and it is all set up and you are receiving channels but with the wrong locals. Just be sure to keep your billing address as your own.

Yes you could do that. Simply call DISH and tell them you have moved your equipment to that address and it is all set up and you are receiving channels but with the wrong locals. Just be sure to keep your billing address as your own.
To add to this, just tell them you go back and forth between two houses. Usually they won't even ask for new address and only the new zip code. Then give them the zip code and they'll change it and ask them to also send a hit and you should get them within 5-15 minutes after that.

If I lived 2 miles east of where I do I would get Detroit local channels which I would like to have. As it is, I have to get Lansing local channels. Is there anyway to to get that changed or is Dish pretty stuck to that policy? My son has Comcast and got his locals changed somehow. I have read a few threads on this subject but am a little confused. Thank you
I moved in with my daughter years ago and my Dish works just fine.
She hardly notices me or my wife.

I have a question that was asked of me privately. Does DISH still offer Distant RV locals for New York and L.A. ? I saw on James Long's 2022 master list that hasn't been updated since, that they had Los Angeles RV distants listed on the Eastern arc satellite list. I didn't see any New York RV distants on either Eastern or Western arcs. I do seem to remember something about they couldn't offer New York any longer on Conus, because of some settlement with the government , but I am not sure.

Any ideas?

I have a question that was asked of me privately. Does DISH still offer Distant RV locals for New York and L.A. ? I saw on James Long's 2022 master list that hasn't been updated since, that they had Los Angeles RV distants listed on the Eastern arc satellite list. I didn't see any New York RV distants on either Eastern or Western arcs. I do seem to remember something about they couldn't offer New York any longer on Conus, because of some settlement with the government , but I am not sure.

Any ideas?

I also wondered if the distant networks are no longer a thing - or maybe grandfathered in. Ever since the Dish App was updated to allow the RV'ers to change their zipcode to receive the locals in the area their RV is in, it seems like there is no need for set NY/LA locals nationally? Once they are out of spotbeam for the locals they have, they fire up the Dish app and enter a new zipcode and get the locals for that zipcode.

I also wondered if the distant networks are no longer a thing - or maybe grandfathered in. Ever since the Dish App was updated to allow the RV'ers to change their zipcode to receive the locals in the area their RV is in, it seems like there is no need for set NY/LA locals nationally? Once they are out of spotbeam for the locals they have, they fire up the Dish app and enter a new zipcode and get the locals for that zipcode.
Yeah, I think that is right. I doubt they still have Western RV distants anymore.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Question, what's on cable systems near you? Historically they've not been limited to a single market, especially when they're in-between markets- they would simply carry both. It was called "significantly viewed"- if offair viewers in given area were able to receive more than one affil for a given net and commonly viewed both, cable could offer same. After DiSH got slapped down a couple of times for activating distant nets where they weren't supposed to, they started launching all the locals on sat and limited subs to a single DMA based on zip code. Back at the time they said they were "working on" getting the ability to offer "significantly viewed" net affils out of technically-defined market area. But I don't believe anything ever came of it.

I'm on a line between Peoria and Quad Cities DMAs and in the area Peoria's the preferred market, on either side of the line. It actually cuts off right at the Peoria County line, which is around 30 mi. from the Peoria stations. For zip codes on the other side of the line in Knox Co. they activate QC. But the cable carried both, and when I sold DiSH those Knox customers were expecting Peoria locals. The answer to that was either offair or misreporting the residence's zip code to fall into the Peoria DMA.

anyone with the "MyDish" app and an "Outdoor" account can change locals at will with just a few button presses.
I think you've forgotten that this is not true. I've had an Outdoor account since they started them, I own my equipment, and I've never been able to change my service location through the app. Still can't.

We've never been able to find out why some can and others can't, but it's definitely that way.

I think you've forgotten that this is not true. I've had an Outdoor account since they started them, I own my equipment, and I've never been able to change my service location through the app. Still can't.

We've never been able to find out why some can and others can't, but it's definitely that way.
You're right, I had forgotten that it doesn't work for everyone for some reason. It was still working for my two owned H2's setup though, up until I suspended our service last December.

Here's another question. How large is a spot beam in miles that it covers. For instance I am 90 miles from Houston in Beaumont/Pt.Arthur DMA. I can get Houston with a strong signal when I used to "move" my service address to a Houston address. Their signal for the Houston DMA came in higher in signal strength then my Beaumont spot beam did. I would think that the spotbeams would cover at least 100 miles for that to happen.

Here's another question. How large is a spot beam in miles that it covers. For instance I am 90 miles from Houston in Beaumont/Pt.Arthur DMA. I can get Houston with a strong signal when I used to "move" my service address to a Houston address. Their signal for the Houston DMA came in higher in signal strength then my Beaumont spot beam did. I would think that the spotbeams would cover at least 100 miles for that to happen.
Spot beam footprints vary in both area covered and shape. Some are more circular while others are elongated. Footprint apps may still be available online, but I haven't looked for them in some time. Someone else may know where the most current maps are to found.

Spot beam footprints vary in both area covered and shape. Some are more circular while others are elongated. Footprint apps may still be available online, but I haven't looked for them in some time. Someone else may know where the most current maps are to found.
Lyngsat shows the spotbeam maps for 61.5 and 110, but not 119. Not sure how recent or accurate they are.

In the case of 11555H, he lives 2 miles away from the other DMA. There is no question that he could fit in that spotbeam.

There may still be some grandfathered in subscribers, but as said, anyone with the "MyDish" app and an "Outdoor" account can change locals at will with just a few button presses.
Is it feasible or possible to convert a "Home" account to "Outdoor" account so that this option becomes available in the app?

If I ever buy a RV, there is no doubt the Hopper would go with me.

Lyngsat shows the spotbeam maps for 61.5 and 110, but not 119. Not sure how recent or accurate they are.
James Long's website has them listed: Spot Coverage from 119° As was mentioned up thread, the site hasn't been updated since 2022, but I am guessing the shape of the spotbeams wouldn't be changing.

NASA TV shutting down this August

Questions about the new slimline sats?