CBS / Fox NFL feeds at all possible?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Bruin95 yes Azteca is Ku Band on 93.0W. With regard to the NFL games on 99.0W, I have a Uniden 9900 receiver slaved to my Viewsat 2000 Receiver via a VBox III Dishmover, to pick up the games & I don't think its a DVB-S2 receiver. By the way can someone please let me know what a DVB-S2 receiver is?

DVB-S2 is a format that the video is broadcast in. Mostly, satellite feeds are broadcast in DVB-S format. Every FTA receiver built in the last 10 years or so can receive DVB-S signals. In order to receive S2 broadcasts, you need a receiver that has the capability to receive those signals. The Azbox and the Vantage can receive those signals. The Pansat 9200 can also with an add-on board installed internally within the receiver. There are others. There is no way the receivers you have could possibly receive the CBS feeds on 99W. Not only are those feeds S2, but they're also in HD. The most beautiful HD you'll ever see. Your receivers are not HD receivers. You probably were getting stray feeds from somewhere else.

The NFL games on Azteca are on Ku band, not C-Band. Any feeds on 99W would require a minimum 10 foot dish, with a receiver capable of receiving DVB-S2 signals. You're not getting those feeds on a 6 footer. That's not happening. ...

NFL on Azteca is (or was) both C and Ku. The Ku I'm familiar with is only SD. I tried watching the HD feed on C-band a couple times, but it was pretty poor quality. Azteca used to have some sort of internet vote each week to determine which game would be shown, and their coverage was generally of games of the Steelers, Cowboys or Raiders. {I can understand the first two, but ???}

Re minimum dish size for DVB-S2, my BUD is a 10', but is so warped and dented, that I doubt that it performs as well as a new 8' dish. I've been able to lock CBS DVB-S2 stuff most of the time, but I had a bit of a problem with the Azteca signal, but it did lock. Anyway, if my dented 10' works, I think an 8' dish should work on most DVB-S2 too. A 6' dish does seem doubtful though, but if it was a high quality dish, it might be possible.

DVB-S2 is basically the 2nd generation of the generic DVB standard. It includes both QPSK and 8PSK formats, and it's the 8PSK that is what requires the bigger dishes to receive, because squeezing in twice as many phase angles requires a better signal to lock. It's generally assumed that the signals with 9/10 FEC are the hardest to lock, but I really haven't noticed that as being the case. I think it's more dependent on what other nearby signals are interferring. But in general, DVB QPSK signals will generally lock with fairly low S/N , such as below 4 dB, but the DVB-S2 8PSK signals generally require at least a 10 dB S/N before they will lock.

Re what receivers receive what formats, you'll see sat signals in a variety of formats, including, but not limited to the following combinations.....

DVB-S QPSK SD MPEG2 4.2.0 Most any FTA receiver will do this, either STB or PC card.
DVB-S QPSK HD MPEG2 or MPEG4 4.2.0 Most any HD FTA STB or a PC card receiver with a fast PC or external netword display device required.
DVB-S QPSK HD or SD MPEG2 4.2.2 Most any PC card receiver {fast computer for HD} plus a couple STBs do 4.2.2 like Azbox, and ?QualiTV I think.
DVB-S2 8PSK SD or HD MPEG2 or MPEG4 Many HD FTA receivers have DVB-S2 capability, like Diamond 9000, Coolsat 8000/8100, Pansat 9000/9200, Azbox, plus several PC card receivers, like TT3200, and a couple newer cards.
DVB-S2 8PSK HD MPEG2 4.2.2 Azbox or S2 capable PC card with a very fast computer.

The DVB-S2 8PSK HD MPEG2 4.2.2 STB or PC receiver on fast PC was required for most of the available HD Sunday games, but any HD receiver or PC card for other available games.

Also, last year, there were some games available via DN channels that were FTA. Last year most any HD FTA receiver would work, but this year, if any show up FTA, they will probably require a receiver capable of turbo QPSK or turbo 8PSK, in addition to HD MPEG4. It's beginning to look less likely that any DN stuff will be available though.

Last edited:
A 10' dish is not required for the CBS DVB-S2 HD feeds. I'm able to receive them most of the time on a 6' dish. Some thoughts:

1. The dish needs to be tweaked accurately.
2. It helps to have a low-loss feed like a single ortho. I currently use a dual, though.
3. Quality LNBs can make a difference on 8PSK. I like Norsat 8115s.
4. If you have a long cable run, a high-quality amp can prevent CNR loss.
5. A receiver with the latest generation demod chips makes a noticeable difference.

All of these little factors can add up to anywhere from a 1-5 dB (or more) loss in sensitivity. This can easily make a moderately well-tuned 10' with adequate electronics perform like a carefully designed and tweaked 6'.

DVB-S2 is a format that the video is broadcast in. Mostly, satellite feeds are broadcast in DVB-S format. Every FTA receiver built in the last 10 years or so can receive DVB-S signals. In order to receive S2 broadcasts, you need a receiver that has the capability to receive those signals. The Azbox and the Vantage can receive those signals. The Pansat 9200 can also with an add-on board installed internally within the receiver. There are others. There is no way the receivers you have could possibly receive the CBS feeds on 99W. Not only are those feeds S2, but they're also in HD. The most beautiful HD you'll ever see. Your receivers are not HD receivers. You probably were getting stray feeds from somewhere else.

Bruin thanks for the info re DVB -S signals. Sorry but I thought the discussion was also about receiving NFL Football games on FTA. I do NOT need to have a HD receiver to receive channels and NFL Football on SAT 99.0W. I have a 12 ft Mesh dish with an Actuator Dish mover & a V-BOX III. I do not have a HD Receiver - I have a basic Viewsat Extreme Receiver, and on 99.0W I can easily pull in:

Lesea Network - World Harvest TV 1 & 2 (2 channels),
WVGN -TV NBC Virgin Islands,
WPRU -TV ABC - Aquadilla,
WSJX -LP - FOX
All are these channels are booming in with a S = 75 & Q = 99 ie a very strong signal. These channels ie NBC and Fox do in fact carry NFL Football on Sundays in the Fall. Also another channel I believe its NBC Virgin Islands, sometimes carries Boxing on Saturday nights from Mandelay Bay.

On Sundays I can get 3 to 4 NFL games by switching between Azteca on 93.0W and the above channels on 99.0W. They may not be CBS feeds, but last time I checked the NFL has Football games on 3 or 4 Networks - ie CBS, NBC, FOX, and NFL Network. Hope this info helps.

Bruin thanks for the info re DVB -S signals. Sorry but I thought the discussion was also about receiving NFL Football games on FTA. I do NOT need to have a HD receiver to receive channels and NFL Football on SAT 99.0W. I have a 12 ft Mesh dish with an Actuator Dish mover & a V-BOX III. I do not have a HD Receiver - I have a basic Viewsat Extreme Receiver, and on 99.0W I can easily pull in:

Lesea Network - World Harvest TV 1 & 2 (2 channels),
WVGN -TV NBC Virgin Islands,
WPRU -TV ABC - Aquadilla,
WSJX -LP - FOX
All are these channels are booming in with a S = 75 & Q = 99 ie a very strong signal. These channels ie NBC and Fox do in fact carry NFL Football on Sundays in the Fall. Also another channel I believe its NBC Virgin Islands, sometimes carries Boxing on Saturday nights from Mandelay Bay.

On Sundays I can get 3 to 4 NFL games by switching between Azteca on 93.0W and the above channels on 99.0W. They may not be CBS feeds, but last time I checked the NFL has Football games on 3 or 4 Networks - ie CBS, NBC, FOX, and NFL Network. Hope this info helps.

True, but the OP'er was specific not just to NFL games, but to Pgh Steeler games. Of those games, only one game is on FOX, and from past schedules, that game is unlikely to be on those Caribbean channel. One game is on NFL-Network, which won't be found FTA. Three games are on NBC, which would be on ALL NBC stations, most likely including the OP'ers local station, plus they would be on the AMC-6 Ku NBC mux, so these games are easy to find. Of the other games, one is on ESPN, and 10 games are on CBS, both of which normally require C-band and an HD receiver, and most of which require DVB-S2 and 4.2.2 capability.
So in reality it boils down to what minimum sized dish can get the DVB-S2 PSK signals, and either an Azbox or a DVB-S2 computer card and a very fast computer.

BTW, this topic caught my interest since I grew up in Pgh, and most of my satellite purchases over the years have been aimed at being able to watch Steeler games by multiple methods. Each year has introduced new challenges, but I haven't missed a game in 15 years, and only a handfull in over 20 years. NFL Sunday Ticket (first on C-band, then on DTV) has helped with that, but it has been less and less useful lately, as most of the Sunday games have been on the 4.2.2 feeds or on OTA NBC, and the non-Sunday games aren't carried by Sunday Ticket anyway. The NFL-Network games and the one or two Fox games are my biggest headaches. The Azteca games have come in handy a couple of times, and the Spanish audio didn't bother me since I delay the video 20 seconds and sync in the Sirius radio audio from Pgh. The CBS switch to 4.2.2 has made this audio syncing next to impossible for me, at least until I upgrade my computer.

If you have C-band, and a DCII receiver, it is. :D:up

Good to know. :)

I think I've seen listings, but never tried looking for it on DCII. I'm curious though, is it SD or HD? ZK or FP? I'd really like an HD version, but I don't have an HD capability on my 4200, and the Genpix, which will do HD, can only do ZK. If it's SD, it's probably easier for me to just watch it on DirecTV, because I need to delay it, and even if the quality is better on the DCII signal, once it goes through my TIVO to delay it, it's at generic TIVO quality. It would be great if it was ZK though, because I can delay the ZK stuff without decreasing the quality.

Good to know. :)

I think I've seen listings, but never tried looking for it on DCII. I'm curious though, is it SD or HD? ZK or FP? I'd really like an HD version, but I don't have an HD capability on my 4200, and the Genpix, which will do HD, can only do ZK. If it's SD, it's probably easier for me to just watch it on DirecTV, because I need to delay it, and even if the quality is better on the DCII signal, once it goes through my TIVO to delay it, it's at generic TIVO quality. It would be great if it was ZK though, because I can delay the ZK stuff without decreasing the quality.
Yep, just SD.
91w.
But it's not ZK or FP...it's "U". Not sure what that means, (universal?) but my 920 has always gotten it, and it hasn't been subbed to anything in almost a year. Haven't tried the 4200 or the DTE-7150. :)

Yep, just SD.
91w.
But it's not ZK or FP...it's "U". Not sure what that means, (universal?) but my 920 has always gotten it, and it hasn't been subbed to anything in almost a year. Haven't tried the 4200 or the DTE-7150. :)

Interesting. I've heard people refer to the "U" designation, but was always confused. On my 4200, I get ZK, FP, MP/NS, and "US" . I had always assumed that the "U" people referred to was the same as the "US" designation, except that I've always been confused because I always assumed that "US" meant "unavailable signal" because whenever I see that, there is absolutely NOTHING there. For example, on that mux that was discussed about a week ago, with the Pursuit and World fishing and NWCN, etc, there is a channel 5 that shows up on my 4200 as "US", but there is no channel 5 listed in TSREADER / Genpix, and only one extremely small "unknown" PID, so that channel 5 just isn't there. The 4200 must see get that extra channel via the VCT, and TSREADER must not read the VCT?? There are a couple other "US" channels in that mux that don't show up either.
So I assume then that in addition to the"US", that the 4DTV must have this other "U" designation too, which I don't see on the 4200. There are a couple NFL channels on that mux too, but they both show up as MP/NS, not U.

But I guess if it's not ZK or FP, then I can't get it no matter what. Still stuck with DirecTV-->TIVO .

Yep, just SD.
91w.

If you check with the commercial units can you please report back? My dte-7100 is not getting NFL Net. Of course i am using lyngsat data, so maybe i am looking in the wrong mux.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DVB-S2 8PSK Signals

SG9120 Nightmare

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)