Status
Please reply by conversation.

timmy1376

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2004
Manhattan, KS
Guys,
Twinhan has a caputre tool on their website under the downloads that I used last night to capture a 1080i HD stream off of G11 with a computer that couldn't handle viewing the stream in ProgDVB. I captured a little over 18 mintues and the file size was 2.44 GB, which was about right for 9 GB for an hour of HD. The file format however is in a .dat format for which I am not sure how to convert it to anything else. Videolan Client (VLC) will play that dat file so it's fine to watch, but if I want to convert it, I am going to have to find another way.

This tool could also be used to capture any stream, including 4:2:2 non-HD stuff.

If anyone know how to convert that file, let me know. I am attaching a cap out of VLC to show you what I got.

I am not sure if this tool will work with any other cards.

tim

Attachments

• vlcsnap-6146617.jpg
    vlcsnap-6146617.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 239
timmy1376 said:
Guys,
The file format however is in a .dat format for which I am not sure how to convert it to anything else. Videolan Client (VLC) will play that dat file so it's fine to watch, but if I want to convert it, I am going to have to find another way.

This tool could also be used to capture any stream, including 4:2:2 non-HD stuff.

If anyone know how to convert that file, let me know. I am attaching a cap out of VLC to show you what I got.

I am not sure if this tool will work with any other cards.

tim

It probably saved the original stream, but gave it the extension DAT, instead of TS or MPG.

What are you trying to convert it to?

Really anything. I would take it in mpg or wmv, or divx. I just wanna keep it in a smaller, downrezzed version.

I try changing the extension to .ts and using HDTVtoMPG.

All a *.dat is (in videowork) is an Mpeg. If you rename it *.mpeg or *.mpg, it'll play and work just fine as that. I often do that with VCD images; just copy the *.dat to the hd and rename *mpg, which Windows Media Player can play. If you want to convert from that file to Divx AVI, use VirtualDUB or NanDub. Both are excellent, free tools for video conversion which I use daily ;)

CharredPC said:
All a *.dat is (in videowork) is an Mpeg. If you rename it *.mpeg or *.mpg, it'll play and work just fine as that. I often do that with VCD images; just copy the *.dat to the hd and rename *mpg, which Windows Media Player can play. If you want to convert from that file to Divx AVI, use VirtualDUB or NanDub. Both are excellent, free tools for video conversion which I use daily ;)

Neither changing the file extension or using VirtualDUB worked. I even tried to convert it using VLC but it crashed in the middle. Maybe it is the size. I tried Win. media encoder, TMPEgenc., VirtualDUB, etc.

What's wierd is that VLC will play it when nothing else will.

Does anyone know of a different free program that will just save the stream? This program is just too much of a hassle.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

IA-13 C-band FTA AC-3 problems

LNBs?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)