Can't get HD feed... what do i do? 20 ft pole?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ThePassion

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2005
well I just got directv dish installed at my townhouse, which is run by a condo association... so technically I cannot put anything on my roof, so my dish is on the ground and can only pickup the basic signal. I was told it cannot pickup the HD feeds which sucks since I have a new 51' tv and I want HD!

I want to know if my only solution is to put a 20ft pole in the ground and mount a dish up there? Anyway I can route the signal or something haha?

ThePassion said:
well I just got directv dish installed at my townhouse, which is run by a condo association... so technically I cannot put anything on my roof, so my dish is on the ground and can only pickup the basic signal. I was told it cannot pickup the HD feeds which sucks since I have a new 51' tv and I want HD!

I want to know if my only solution is to put a 20ft pole in the ground and mount a dish up there? Anyway I can route the signal or something haha?

Question for you before we go any further, are you trying to get HDTV channels directly from DirecTv? Or from a regular TV antenna?

well both actually, i am obviously new to satellite and how it works but I want all the HD I can get, and I think there is a local HD antenna (which I did not buy, but would if someone can tell me it is worth it)....

but ya I would like to get the HD signal from DirecTv so i could at least pickup whatever programs are in HD like Sportscenter or w/e... then I would prob buy the 10 package if it was worth it.

sorry for being all over the place but i def need some help...

ThePassion said:
well both actually, i am obviously new to satellite and how it works but I want all the HD I can get, and I think there is a local HD antenna (which I did not buy, but would if someone can tell me it is worth it)....

but ya I would like to get the HD signal from DirecTv so i could at least pickup whatever programs are in HD like Sportscenter or w/e... then I would prob buy the 10 package if it was worth it.

sorry for being all over the place but i def need some help...

Ok, as long as you get a clear signal even from the ground at both 101w and 110w, then you will be ok.

Your installer should of known this if he did the installation the right way, unless it's a do-it yourself deal.

Well thats the problem, I only get the basic signal, I don't get the HD signal cause the dish is on the ground and there are line of sight issues for the HD signal, so I need to find a way around this... only thing I can come up with is to install a huge pole to put the dish on so it gets over the obstacle...

I have to follow with the same line of questioning; did the installer know BEFOREHAND you were trying to get HD? If so, and they did the install without checking the line of sight, you need to call them back. Can you post a photo of your line of sight? It has to be real tight clutter to get 101 but not have any hope of 110 & 119.

ThePassion said:
Well thats the problem, I only get the basic signal, I don't get the HD signal cause the dish is on the ground and there are line of sight issues for the HD signal, so I need to find a way around this... only thing I can come up with is to install a huge pole to put the dish on so it gets over the obstacle...

You can also do a balcony install, as long as the dish faces south, free of obstacles :yes

Have you verified how much signal you are actually getting from the 110w bird?

ya the installer knew I wanted HD, he told me that I couldn't get it though... my dish is installed about 4 ft off the ground on a pole, i think the issue is the row of houses which are lined up to the right of the dish on a tight line... i don't know if you can picture the dish setup but i live in a row of 5 townhouses, i am 2nd from the left and the dish faces the right.... and the dish is close up to my house so I don't know if that is the problem... there are also trees in the distance but I am pretty sure it has to be the house.

how can I test the 110 feed? which feeds are the HD?

ThePassion said:
ya the installer knew I wanted HD, he told me that I couldn't get it though... my dish is installed about 4 ft off the ground on a pole, i think the issue is the row of houses which are lined up to the right of the dish on a tight line... i don't know if you can picture the dish setup but i live in a row of 5 townhouses, i am 2nd from the left and the dish faces the right.... and the dish is close up to my house so I don't know if that is the problem... there are also trees in the distance but I am pretty sure it has to be the house.

how can I test the 110 feed? which feeds are the HD?

Most HD channels at located at 110w, with the exception of 3 at 101w which are local channels.

Go to the receivers menu, and under installation see if there's a signal coming in from the 110w satellite.

ok i will do that when i get back from work... assuming there is no signal... only way to go is to get a signal by elevating the dish correct?

also, would it make sense to get the local antenna? can i still use that if i bought it?

ThePassion said:
ok i will do that when i get back from work... assuming there is no signal... only way to go is to get a signal by elevating the dish correct?

also, would it make sense to get the local antenna? can i still use that if i bought it?

Local antenna will only bring in your local TV HD stations (if available). It will not bring in ESPN, HBO-HD etc.

Keep us informed and if you can take a picture of the whole area surrounding your dish, it will help us more in understanding your situation.

ThePassion said:
ya the installer knew I wanted HD, he told me that I couldn't get it though... my dish is installed about 4 ft off the ground on a pole

IMHO it sounds like another installer that didn't want to do any real work because of the time factor, or at least explain to you what needed to be done; even if it would have cost a few extra $$. I would bet my left arm you can find a line of sight. I really would like to see some actual photos when you get time.

ok well you guys are being really helpful so I will get a picture of the dish and sight lines and post it this afternoon if i can... keep an eye out for the post.
thanks for your help...

ok i am a slacker, haven't been able to get a camera out there cause of work... but, I checked out my dish and I don't even believe I have the right dish, its not the 3 pronged dish.

so my new question is, how do the directv installers typically figure out what signals a customer can pick up? Do they know without putting up the dish? Is it possible they only had a regular dish and just told me I couldn't get the HD?

I went into the setup and could not test the other signals, I'm guessing now that this is because I only have the regular dish.

Please advise.

BINGO!
Installer made a guess and then did what HE wanted to do. Get your PhaseIII dish and I bet you can find a line of sight.

charper1 said:
BINGO!
Installer made a guess and then did what HE wanted to do. Get your PhaseIII dish and I bet you can find a line of sight.

ok good enough, I think thats the route I want to go, I am just scared to play with the dish and then screw up my current setup and then I have No signal at all!

any advice? Are the connections to the dish easy? Is it as simple as removing the current dish, plugging the cables into the new dish and remounting? Then playing with the aim to get the HD signal?

ThePassion said:
ok i am a slacker, haven't been able to get a camera out there cause of work... but, I checked out my dish and I don't even believe I have the right dish, its not the 3 pronged dish.

so my new question is, how do the directv installers typically figure out what signals a customer can pick up? Do they know without putting up the dish? Is it possible they only had a regular dish and just told me I couldn't get the HD?

I went into the setup and could not test the other signals, I'm guessing now that this is because I only have the regular dish.

Please advise.
Do you even have a H10 or HR10-250 receiver? You can't receive HD without the right equipment, if a HDTV receiver was installed a Phase 3 dish should also be installed.

i do not have the receiver yet, but i know i have to buy it... i didn't get at the time of installation cause the installer told me i couldnt get HD! I was told if I get the dish and get the HD feed I will know that I am getting HD signal but I wont get the actual HD picture without the receiver, so i figure if i buy the new dish and find out i do get the signal, then i'll just get the receiver

Be Aware!!

When I had my dish installed there was a line of sight issue with some trees. The signal finder he hooked up to it said that that I could get 2 out of the three sats but not the 110. I told him to go ahead and hook it up and anyway. Once he had finished it turned out I had a signal and all is working fine. By the way... height does not Necessarily have anything to do with it. It could be 6 inches from the ground as long as you have a clear shot to the sat. try moving left or right as well...

ok good info, i am getting encouraged here, really hope to get the HD signal going!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Free PPV??

R10 DVR - Record Lose Locals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)