Cable Run Lengths and PQ

RBergmann

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 3, 2006
Vista, CA
I currently have a ViP 622 and Dish 1000 that replaced an 811, 301 and a Dish 500.

Previously I was able to split the signal from my 301 to share the signal between my set #2 in the house with a set that I had in my shop about 100-150 ft away. Cable length is probably closer to 200-250 ft. Although I was not able to change channels from the shop, the PQ seemed very good.

With the new configuration (ViP 622), the PQ is fine in the house (on set #2) but in the shop it's degraded. Very grainny (sp?). I am able to take the remote to change channels in the shop because I've installed a UHF antenna off of a splitter connected to that TV.

No problems on the Mitsubishi 55" HD (set #1). BTW even with all the new downloads, I've never had a problem with audio drop out (would like the HD LiLs to show CC though). And few unscheduled reboots. this is in response to the sticky thread on 622 issues.

Two questions:

1. Any suggestions to clear up the PQ in the shop?
2. Any way to modify the 811 remote (no longer used) to give me a third unit for changing the channel in the shop? Actually I think that the installer set up the 811 remote to work with the 622 on set #1 ... not sure. The plastic at the bottom is labelled #1 but I don't know if it was removed from a different unit. I saw a thread that takes one remote and converts it to another. That is IR to UHF or vice versa. Could this apply?

... rab

1. Still using the same channel #? You'll find changing the channel you modulate the signal on may give varying results.

2. Check out this post.

Last edited:
2. Any way to modify the 811 remote (no longer used) to give me a third unit for changing the channel in the shop? Actually I think that the installer set up the 811 remote to work with the 622 on set #1 ... not sure. The plastic at the bottom is labelled #1 but I don't know if it was removed from a different unit. I saw a thread that takes one remote and converts it to another. That is IR to UHF or vice versa. Could this apply?

... rab[/QUOTE]

Just set the remote to the same channel as the #2 (UHF) remote. In the manual it tells you how to get to the screen showing the channel and how to set it. I am using my 811 remote on my 622...

wilme2 said:
Just set the remote to the same channel as the #2 (UHF) remote. In the manual it tells you how to get to the screen showing the channel and how to set it. I am using my 811 remote on my 622...
Thanks, I'll give it a try when I get home.

... rab

The 622 allows you to select the channels for TV1 and TV2 output via the coax connection across the band from OTA channels 20-69, IIRC. I'd set them to the lowest possible channels (with a blank one in between) as cable loss increases with increasing frequency. Also - have you tried it without the UHF signal in the cable, i.e., no splitters? That may be imparting some loss.

You could try a low power in-line amplifier or a distribution amp to offset cable loss, like something from Radio Shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...plifier&kw=inline+amplifier&parentPage=search

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...r&kw=distribution+amplifier&parentPage=search

If you're sending the remote's signal back through the same cable you'll probably need the latter item.

The advantage with RS is that you can return the item if it doesn't help.

Re: the remote - When I first received my 622, the 811's remote controlled the 622 just fine, inadvertently! I had to reprogram the 622's remote 2 frequency to another "channel" to solve that problem. So I believe the original (default) remote 2 channel (1?) will work with both the 622's UHF remote and the 811's remote.

bhelms said:
The 622 allows you to select the channels for TV1 and TV2 output via the coax connection across the band from OTA channels 20-69, IIRC. I'd set them to the lowest possible channels (with a blank one in between) as cable loss increases with increasing frequency. Also - have you tried it without the UHF signal in the cable, i.e., no splitters? That may be imparting some loss.
I hadn't added the UHF antenna when first checking out the signal after the 622 was installed. So the connection was identical to when I was connecting the shop set with the 301. However the OTA channel, as I recall, wasn't in the 20-69 range. I seem to recall that with the 301 the sets had to be tuned to channel 3. Two things that I'll have to investigate: 1. How to set a new channel for the remote, and 2. Why my #2 and shop sets are set to channel 73. I can't receive any OTA at my location so if the lower channels will provide me with possible better reception in the shop, I don't see any reason not to set them there.
You could try a low power in-line amplifier or a distribution amp to offset cable loss, like something from Radio Shack
I did purchase an in-line amplifier from Radio Shack. As I'm at work, I don't know if it is one of the units you recommend.

Thanks for your help,
... rab

I'm sure that I'm just an idiot here, but I've tried to program an identical channel into my 6.3 (ViP622) and 8000 (811) remotes so that I can control TV2 from two different locations. I've managed to sequence the keys on either remote to effect a change, but I cannot get both remotes to change to the same address. Seems that they want to go to different addresses when I enter the same keystrokes on each.

What am I doing wrong?

... rab

What info to shut off a unit?

622 Ota

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)