Bowl Payouts

jwfgeol

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Knoxville, TN
We were talking about this in an unrelated thread, so I figured I would start a new one. Here's what I came up with for this year for each conference assuming that the BCS bowls pay out $17 million per team. (Values in millions)

Conference - Total - Per Team
SEC - 51.05 - 4.25
Big Ten - 47.70 - 4.34
Big 12 - 46.35 - 3.86
ACC - 29.20 - 2.43
Pac 10 - 23.55 - 2.36
Big East - 21.60 - 2.70
WAC - 19.20 - 2.13
C-USA - 4.98 - 0.41
MWC - 4.00 - 0.44
MAC - 2.25 - 0.17
Sun Belt - 0.33 - 0.04

I know the money made by each conference will not be distributed evenly, but the 'per team' average is a good way to compare based on how many teams are in each conference. Obviously the SEC, Big Ten, and Big 12 are much higher because they got two teams in the BCS. The WAC is high because Hawaii got in the Sugar. Based on this, the Big Ten is making more money per team than the SEC.

Last edited:
I know the money made by each conference will not be distributed evenly, but the 'per team' average is a good way to compare based on how many teams are in each conference.
Actually, almost all conferences do split the bowl money evenly among the school.
Obviously the SEC, Big Ten, and Big 12 are much higher because they got two teams in the BCS. The WAC is high because Hawaii got in the Sugar. Based on this, the Big Ten is making more money per team than the SEC.
And that's why some of major conferences do not want a playoff, because they the money would be split evenly between all the conferences, and they might get less money than they do now, even though the total is higher.

Curoius ....
Notre Dame had some sort of a money deal for when they made a BCS bowl and a year that they did not.
Does anyone remember what that was, seems to me that they still get some kinda payout, even this year after the steller year they had....

Jimbo

Curoius ....
Notre Dame had some sort of a money deal for when they made a BCS bowl and a year that they did not.
Does anyone remember what that was, seems to me that they still get some kinda payout, even this year after the steller year they had....
Notre Dame gets a payout from the Big East for the non-BCS bowls (as they are considered part of the Big East for non-BCS bowl agreements).
For making it to a BCS bowl, they get a payout of $4.5 million that they alone keep.

They already play 4 or 5 big 10 teams a year, and with the new 12th game in the schedule, they could join the conference, and still play USC, BC, Navy and one other non conference game.. it really would be good for them and the conference, allowing 2 6 team divisions, and a chapmpionship game

Notre Dame also gets paid $1.5 million for any year that it doesn't make a BCS bowl game or any bowl game at all.

Why do we need to join a Conference? We have our TV contract, Bowl payouts, Sold out every home game for the past 45 years and have no problem finding opponents to play. Sure we were awful this year but deep down inside I doubt that anyone really believes that we won't be competitive in the future. As far as our TV contract goes, Fox has said many times that if NBC drops us they will pick us up.

Most people either love or hate ND so they tune in hoping the game will go there way. We get put in Bowl games that we have no business being in because the bowl committees know that our fans travel well and it will be watched.

They already play 4 or 5 big 10 teams a year, and with the new 12th game in the schedule, they could join the conference, and still play USC, BC, Navy and one other non conference game.. it really would be good for them and the conference, allowing 2 6 team divisions, and a chapmpionship game

It used to be that the Big Ten wanted us in their conference. The past few years they have changed their opinion and apparently do not ever want us in the Big Ten. If it ever happened then it would probably be Big East. We have recently made a deal to play at least 3 Big East teams every year.

It used to be that the Big Ten wanted us in their conference. The past few years they have changed their opinion and apparently do not ever want us in the Big Ten. If it ever happened then it would probably be Big East. We have recently made a deal to play at least 3 Big East teams every year.

First time I'm hearing that. I was under the impression that ND wanted nothing to do with the Big Ten, for the very reasons you stated a couple of posts ago. MONEY.

Notre Dame also gets paid $1.5 million for any year that it doesn't make a BCS bowl game or any bowl game at all.

Why do we need to join a Conference? We have our TV contract, Bowl payouts, Sold out every home game for the past 45 years and have no problem finding opponents to play. Sure we were awful this year but deep down inside I doubt that anyone really believes that we won't be competitive in the future. As far as our TV contract goes, Fox has said many times that if NBC drops us they will pick us up.

Most people either love or hate ND so they tune in hoping the game will go there way. We get put in Bowl games that we have no business being in because the bowl committees know that our fans travel well and it will be watched.

Explain to us, why it is that ND gets 1.5 M for NOT being in a bowl game ....
Great gig if you can get it.

ND has been in 3 BCS games that they had no business being in so far.

Jimbo

Big 10 doesn't want you because EVERYTIME we inquire you refuse, so we finally said the he*l with them.

Jimbo

Doh!

Pats vs Giants

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)