Big dish owners: Has anyone ever tried this?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

anik

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
U.S.A.
I had a wild idea and wondered if anyone has ever tried this: Has anyone with a large C-band dish ever tried taking a LNB from a small dish (e.g. Dish Network) and physically attaching it in some way to the C-band feedhorn support so that the LNB can capture the signals from the large dish? The idea being that one could use the big dish to pick up anything that happens to be in the clear on the L-band satellites (such as the radio signals on the Nimiq birds). I know you can also use a dedicated small dish, but if someone already has a large dish it would be kind of cool to add the circular polarized LNB to the big dish so you could scan the arc and find whatever might be up there in free-to-air mode. I'm just wondering if something like that is actually possible - I'm tempted to try duct-taping a small disk LNB to the feedhorn enclosure just to see if I really could pick up any kind of signal!

I drilled a hole into my scalar ring and added a dbs Lnbf to my system, I may get rid of it though along with my feedhorn and Lnb's this summer, getting a whole new feedhorn with better lnbs :)

Actually I wasn't looking to buy a new ring or anything, but that's more or less the general idea, except I was going to attach the LNB to the outside of the ring. Will have to give this some more thought, but thanks for the suggestions.

How did you make out on attaching your LNB? I also have a Cband 10' dish and was thinking of adding a LNB for FTA. Does anyone have any thoughts on the placement of the new LNB?

Big dish owners: Has anyone ever tried rhis?

anik said:
I had a wild idea and wondered if anyone has ever tried this: Has anyone with a large C-band dish ever tried taking a LNB from a small dish (e.g. Dish Network) and physically attaching it in some way to the C-band feedhorn support so that the LNB can capture the signals from the large dish? The idea being that one could use the big dish to pick up anything that happens to be in the clear on the L-band satellites (such as the radio signals on the Nimiq birds). I know you can also use a dedicated small dish, but if someone already has a large dish it would be kind of cool to add the circular polarized LNB to the big dish so you could scan the arc and find whatever might be up there in free-to-air mode. I'm just wondering if something like that is actually possible - I'm tempted to try duct-taping a small disk LNB to the feedhorn enclosure just to see if I really could pick up any kind of signal!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi anik , I have a big dish 12 Ft ( 3.8 m ) motorized equipped with C/Ku feedhorn ( Chaparral )

reference to your statment below

" taking a LNB from a small dish (e.g. Dish Network) and physically attaching it in some way to the C-band feedhorn support so that the LNB can capture the signals from the large dish? "

If you mean removing the C-band head from the support and replace it with Universal Lnb , Yes , it will pick up some signals , but I don't know what is the Dish Network LNB . Is it Universal lnb or wideband lnb .

that's what i was thinking of doing. acutally removing the c band lnb and attaching a capable ku FTA lnb in it's place. shouldn't the signal arrive at the same focal point?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Having trouble on 119 echo7 RADIO!!!

Reliability of DiSEqC and 22kHz switches

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)