Baseball and Sports Package

Ceas2182

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Dec 18, 2004
Disneyland, Cali
Ok... this deals is with the blackout issue again... I never tried to have baseball in the Sports package for 5.99. Are the blackouts worse in baseball then it is in basketball?

the only baseball you'll get in the sports pack is if you aere in the home market for a team on an rsn that dish includes but did not include in your At120 or above pack

basically ALL out of market pro sports are blacked out

So as an example, I am in MN. Any pro baseball game that isn't on FSN North (436) will be blacked out

EXCEPT, in years past, whenever a game is played outside its scheduled time. For example, suppose the Pirates are scheduled to play on FSN Pittsburgh from 5p-8p. At 8:01p, when the postgame show is scheduled, you're able to watch the game if it's still going on for whatever reason (rain delay, extra innings, slugfest). When two FSNs have the same game, I use picture-in-picture to get two different camera angles.

Also, once in a while when rain forces a last-minute double-header the next day, sometimes the schedule doesn't get updated so you can watch any time outside the scheduled hours.

This is a big YMMV, because things change from year to year. This is the first season for widespread in-the-clear spring training games; they used to be blacked out. It's always possible that Dish will one day go to the DirecTV approach of, like, watching the game and flipping the switch when it's over. :)

BTW, Altitude says it'll carry some Colorado Springs minor league games this year. You'll usually find a sparse sprinkling of them here and there on the other RSNs too.

To amplify my remarks, here's the latest of a work in progress that I've been compiling off and on for a while. Maybe this should be a sticky in the sports section, once everybody contributes to get it right.

Anyway, the package of extra regional sports networks (RSNs) can test your tendency to call a glass half-empty or half-full. Rather than dwell on the events you can't watch this way, I prefer to look at all the stuff added to my viewing options. Here's what you get in the sports pack:

Professional sporting events:
Arena Football League
Major Indoor Soccer League
National Lacrosse League
Canadian Football League
National Basketball Association (only on NBA TV)
Major League Baseball (Spring Training Only)
Classic replays (some)
Caribbean World Series
Minor league hockey
Minor league baseball
Boxing
Billiards
Golf (The Golf Channel, plus some RSN coverage)
Pro wrestling

Amateur sporting events:
College football*
College men's basketball*
College women's basketball*
College baseball*
College softball
College hockey
College gymnastics
College track and field
High school football
High school basketball

Other:
Coaches' shows
Regional sports news shows
League/sport roundup shows
General sports discussion shows
Team reports
Pregame shows
Postgame shows
Horce racing highlights
Music (Altitude)
Cheerleading
Poker
Hunting shows
Fishing shows
Boating shows
Darts
Sports documentaries

PLUS lots of opportunities to time-shift Fox Sports Net filler:
Best Damn Sports Show Period
Behind the Glory

What you don't get:
Most major league professional sports events
Some college games

*The rule of thumb for what you don't get is that anything that's available as part of a PPV package will be blacked out on the RSNs. That includes all the major professional sports and some college sports, mainly in conference and tournament games.

And a big YMMV, since the blackouts change from year to year. But for lots of sports I can't get otherwise, I still think the sports pack works well for me.

First, remember the first sentence: It is the very rare exception that you get an additional team with the multi-sports pack,

Bearing that in, some locations MAY be inside a team's area but outside the RSN's. Where I "live" I get Indians and Reds games with AT120 and higher (regular RSNs). With the Multi-Sports Pack, I also get the Pirates.

See ya
Tony

It's the same here. Our RSN on AT120 and higher will soon be Comcast Chicago, which means Cubs & White Sox along with the Brewers from FSN North on the "sports alternate" channels. With the multi-sports pack, In addition to the Chicago and Milwaukee teams, I also get the Cardnails and Twins. Now, I if I could get the Royals :mad:

It's not out of the question that on Wednesday Night's, depending on what ESPN has for their MLB double header, that I have the option of picking between 6-7 games to watch. :)

TNGTony said:
First, remember the first sentence: It is the very rare exception that you get an additional team with the multi-sports pack,

Bearing that in, some locations MAY be inside a team's area but outside the RSN's. Where I "live" I get Indians and Reds games with AT120 and higher (regular RSNs). With the Multi-Sports Pack, I also get the Pirates.

See ya
Tony

During the NFL season, espically training camps, the regional sports reports are awsome. Why FSN dumped half of them and only kept a handful is beyond me.

Also, being a Nebraska football fan, getting to watch the Bill Callahn show on FSN Midwest is simply awsome. Something I don't get through my primary RSN.

carload said:
Other:
Coaches' shows
Regional sports news shows

carload said:
Amateur sporting events:
College football*
College men's basketball*

What you don't get:
Most major league professional sports events
Some college games

*The rule of thumb for what you don't get is that anything that's available as part of a PPV package will be blacked out on the RSNs. That includes all the major professional sports and some college sports, mainly in conference and tournament games.
Very nice list. I would just point out that we are starting to see major conferences black out football and men's basketball to any area either outside of their state (Big 12) or outside of their conference's area (ACC, SEC), irrespective of whether the game is in a PPV package or not. And I'm sure it will change next year. :(

living in Big 12 country, I noticed Texas games blacked out on FSN Southwest as well as Kansas State & Nebraska games blacked out on FSN Midwest. That being said, Missouri basketball games weren't blacked out on FSN Midwest.

Which, I guess it's not a big deal. How much basketball can one person watch on a night in, night out basis?

jrbdmb said:
Very nice list. I would just point out that we are starting to see major conferences black out football and men's basketball to any area either outside of their state (Big 12) or outside of their conference's area (ACC, SEC), irrespective of whether the game is in a PPV package or not. And I'm sure it will change next year. :(

AMC 15 on the move

508 remote?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)