Approved MRV Method

Status
Please reply by conversation.

i7-875k

Original poster
Mar 10, 2011
South of Boston
When I transitioned from two DirecTivos to two HR23-700 HDDVRs, I had D* replace my dish with a 5-LNB HD capable dish. I really do not know the details of what was installed on the roof in the same spot my old 3-LNB dish was located.

When the installer finished the dish installation, he re-used the DirecTiVo RG6 cables; two cables connected to each HR23 just as the DirecTiVos were previously connected. I have no idea how those cables are connected at the dish. The HR23s are on separate floors (about 50 feet apart). Setup and operation went fine for both DVRs. The installer never mentioned anything about SWiM.

As an early adopter of MRV beta, I had no trouble getting MRV to work by just running CAT5E between the two HR23 boxes. MRV has worked just fine through several iterations of software with the two DVRs connected this way. Of course, I had to sign up for the $3 MRV charge after the beta period, but I'm happy with MRV performance using this unsupported method.

I also have Internet connectivity for both HR23s with a CAT5E cable from my router/gateway connected to the first floor HR23 in the top network port. I used the bottom, second network port to run CAT5E to the top network port on the other HR23. I have internet/VOD capability on both DVRs with this connection, as well as flawless MRV between the two DVRs. If I disconnect the internet gateway connection, MRV still works just fine.

I've read some statements about use of the second network port not being a good idea, but I've had this setup for a long time with no issues.

So, my current setup is dish->2 RG6 cables->HR23 for each DVR. Then I have router/gateway->CAT5E->HR23 #1 network port 1 (top), HR23 #1->CAT5E from network port 2 (bottom)->HR23 #2 network port 1 (top).

I used the "WeaKnees MRV Configurator" and entered my setup, it indicated a need for a "DirecTV DECA Adapter" for each HR23, a "DirecTV DECA Router Package", and a "DirecTV Band Stop Filter". I'm not 100% sure this is the correct type and quantity of equipment I would need to accomplish a D* approved method.

My concern is that a future software change might kill my current way of enabling MRV. VOD is much less important to me. Also, if I installed this WeaKnees recommended additional equipment would that mean only one RG6 cable would be needed for each DVR? If so, could I then add additional receivers or DVRs using the unused RG6?

Any comments or insight from the experts here is greatly appreciated.

Because you have two lines to each receiver, you don't have SWim. You need SWim to use MRV (Supported). I would call and see what it will cost to get it. You will need a SWiM LNB, a DECA for each HR23 and the internet connection kit. It will likely cost you more to buy and install yourself than have DirecTV do it...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Where the #$^#^#$^% is TruTV HD???

Remote problem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)