Apple is foolish

A couple more days of Apple silence and it won't matter whether this issue is real or not - Apple will face another PR disaster...

Diogen.

If a PR disaster means selling 2 million+ phones in under a month I'm sure HTC would love to have the same type of disasters

Either way, Apple was the media's darling for the last few years and one thing the media loves to do is to tear down those they created. Ask Tiger Woods

If a PR disaster means selling 2 million+ phones in under a month I'm sure HTC would love to have the same type of disasters
And what if it means losing more market share to Android?

In exactly one week Apple reports earnings.
If by then they don't have a clear position on all this (and it better be not "magical" but based in science), today's drop of 3% in share price will look like peanuts...

Diogen.

apple could release a rock and call it the iphone and apple loyalists would still buy 2 million of them, 2 million cases for them and buy little app add-ons called iPebbles.

diogen said:
And what if it means losing more market share to Android?

In exactly one week Apple reports earnings.
If by then they don't have a clear position on all this (and it better be not "magical" but based in science), today's drop of 3% in share price will look like peanuts...

Diogen.

IMO recent drops was due in some part to the fact that at lot people knew the new phone was just around the corner and were holding off from buying a phone. Tech geeks like us knew it was coming before the reports of the iPhone 4 leak. Once that hit the mainstream news, then everybody knew it was coming. When any product nears the end of it's lifecycle, sales drop. Just ask any car company. Sales of a given car model always drop right before the next generation comes out.

When the 2nd quarter smart phone numbers come out (which will include a weeks worth of iPhone 4 sales) I'm sure we see an increase of iPhone market share although I think it won't be at the expense of android based phones. The 3rd quarter market share will also be good

But I agree with the point that Apple needs to get in front of this story and make sure they have an answer for investors at their upcoming financial call.

apple could release a rock and call it the iphone and apple loyalists would still buy 2 million of them, 2 million cases for them and buy little app add-ons called iPebbles.

And than Google could copy that, and than the just as annoying apple haters could tell you how much better that was.

andoid users vs iphone users

Android camp:

zizzybaloobah: "You can waste your time wishing for a phone w/these features, or get an Android phone that already has them."

javawebdeveloper: "@Bonesbautista, @slickuser No, you are giving the typical iPhone fanboy response: You are so convinced that the iPhone is the best thing since sliced bread that you cannot accept that a competing device has features that the iPhone does not have, so you denigrate them as being unimportant, hazardous, or only 'for geeks'. If they are implemented in iPhone 5, then they will magically transform into Apple innovations."

Ebraheem: "Anyone thinking that ports are a synonym for holes really shouldn't be talking about security. iOS has 65535 ports, Android has 65535 ports, Windows has 65535 ports, and pretty much anything that has a TCP/IP stack has 65535 ports! Typical non-geek mentality, thinking you understand technical details when you don't."

Sourdust: "So the author [David Carnoy] basically wishes the iPhone were more like an Android phone. As other have written, just buy an Android and be done with it. It seems the real wish here is for Android phones to run the iPhone OS. But that would have been a much shorter article (one sentence) and might not have been published."

Apple camp:

bonesbautista: "Typical response from Android fanboys. Too much kludge with stock Android, too many complaints of poor RF with most of the HTC smart phones. The new iOS is missing a Today screen and better notifications. Android? Meh."

Stereotypical iPhone user.

MaLvaDo39: "Why do you want an Android? Just another fake iPhone...follow the leader is all Google and Microsoft could ever do."

NeonRazor4: "Since you seem so eager to write about missing features, why not write an article about the features you want from the Motorola Droid 2 or the Blackberry Storm 3? Why do you feel such a need to nitpick the iPhone? Sure it's missing a few features, but there are many other phones that are missing some features we wish it had. Yet, they don't get the same amount of vicious scrutiny as the iPhone does..."

Chandyyyyyy: "Alrighty. So I'm not a geek or a nerd, but I understand the argument and what each person is saying if that helps you understand where I am coming from. I have an iPhone along with thousands of other consumers. I'm not a fanboy. But I couldn't care less about which phone is better. I'm very happy with my iPhone, and I see many more iPhones than droids htc or whatever. What the iPhone has that other phones do not is an iPod. That's no better than any other mp3 player, but it's the top brand of mp3 player. It's convenient and easy to use, even older folks have one."

As you can see from these comments, some lines are being drawn and some stereotypes are being formed. Here's how I envision the two sides see each other based on some of the vitriol going around. (Yes, these are sexist descriptions, but 85 percent of our readers are male. If you're part of our female audience, feel free to comment with your views on all of this).

Android smartphone owner (as viewed by an iPhone fanboy):

•Resembles Dr. Sheldon Cooper from Big Bang Theory
•Installed Linux on the PS3
•Fashionably nerdy
•Becomes aroused when seeing a DOS command field
•Views the phone as a purely utilitarian device
•Chooses his phone based on carrier

iPhone owner (as viewed by an Android fanboy):

•Resembles Ross from Friends
•Superficial, insecure douchebag with metrosexual tendencies
•Drives a BMW or Prius
•Enters a hypnotic state when seeing the Great Steve
•Favorite phrase: "You still there? Hello?"
•Doesn't actually know how to work a real phone

andoid users vs iphone users

Android camp:

zizzybaloobah: "You can waste your time wishing for a phone w/these features, or get an Android phone that already has them."

javawebdeveloper: "@Bonesbautista, @slickuser No, you are giving the typical iPhone fanboy response: You are so convinced that the iPhone is the best thing since sliced bread that you cannot accept that a competing device has features that the iPhone does not have, so you denigrate them as being unimportant, hazardous, or only 'for geeks'. If they are implemented in iPhone 5, then they will magically transform into Apple innovations."

Ebraheem: "Anyone thinking that ports are a synonym for holes really shouldn't be talking about security. iOS has 65535 ports, Android has 65535 ports, Windows has 65535 ports, and pretty much anything that has a TCP/IP stack has 65535 ports! Typical non-geek mentality, thinking you understand technical details when you don't."

Sourdust: "So the author [David Carnoy] basically wishes the iPhone were more like an Android phone. As other have written, just buy an Android and be done with it. It seems the real wish here is for Android phones to run the iPhone OS. But that would have been a much shorter article (one sentence) and might not have been published."

Apple camp:

bonesbautista: "Typical response from Android fanboys. Too much kludge with stock Android, too many complaints of poor RF with most of the HTC smart phones. The new iOS is missing a Today screen and better notifications. Android? Meh."

Stereotypical iPhone user.

MaLvaDo39: "Why do you want an Android? Just another fake iPhone...follow the leader is all Google and Microsoft could ever do."

NeonRazor4: "Since you seem so eager to write about missing features, why not write an article about the features you want from the Motorola Droid 2 or the Blackberry Storm 3? Why do you feel such a need to nitpick the iPhone? Sure it's missing a few features, but there are many other phones that are missing some features we wish it had. Yet, they don't get the same amount of vicious scrutiny as the iPhone does..."

Chandyyyyyy: "Alrighty. So I'm not a geek or a nerd, but I understand the argument and what each person is saying if that helps you understand where I am coming from. I have an iPhone along with thousands of other consumers. I'm not a fanboy. But I couldn't care less about which phone is better. I'm very happy with my iPhone, and I see many more iPhones than droids htc or whatever. What the iPhone has that other phones do not is an iPod. That's no better than any other mp3 player, but it's the top brand of mp3 player. It's convenient and easy to use, even older folks have one."

As you can see from these comments, some lines are being drawn and some stereotypes are being formed. Here's how I envision the two sides see each other based on some of the vitriol going around. (Yes, these are sexist descriptions, but 85 percent of our readers are male. If you're part of our female audience, feel free to comment with your views on all of this).

Android smartphone owner (as viewed by an iPhone fanboy):

•Resembles Dr. Sheldon Cooper from Big Bang Theory
•Installed Linux on the PS3
•Fashionably nerdy
•Becomes aroused when seeing a DOS command field
•Views the phone as a purely utilitarian device
•Chooses his phone based on carrier

iPhone owner (as viewed by an Android fanboy):

•Resembles Ross from Friends
•Superficial, insecure douchebag with metrosexual tendencies
•Drives a BMW or Prius
•Enters a hypnotic state when seeing the Great Steve
•Favorite phrase: "You still there? Hello?"
•Doesn't actually know how to work a real phone

Ooops, I drive a BMW and own an iPhone. I'm doomed. But wait I've been a software developer for 20 years and an Internet software developer for 10 years writing Java code and even wrote some shell scripts and C code on an AIX box (IBM's Unix) back before I starting writing Java. I should have an Android. I don't know what to do, I'm so confused. :confused::confused::confused:

And than Google could copy that, and than the just as annoying apple haters could tell you how much better that was.

Loyalists on any front are bad all around. One thing that makes Apple followers so annoying is you just cannot reason with them. They cannot admit any fault in apple's products, marketing, sales tactics, etc.

Most android users I know are somewhat versed a bit (but the casual users are starting to creep in and that's honestly what is needed to further the platform to profitibility for the providers anyways) and I personally don't know a single android user that can't at least tell me some annoyances with the setup yet. But most annoyances I have found are manufacturer specific (motorola, HTC, samsung etc).

Just to be clear, I am not an apple hater, they make good solid products. My wife has an iPad, I think it's a nice device. What annoys me is the people who get iPhones and don't have a freaking clue what most of it does but then spout off to me when they find out I use a winmo and android phone.

I can't wait to hear about the details of this special iPhone 4 press conference on Friday.

I am starting to think about returning mine, I am getting tired of hanging up on people.

A recall of the device is unlikely, because since the problem doesn't affect safety and only occurs for some users in certain situations. But financial analysts said Apple could give away its $29 rubber "bumper" case, which they said would solve the antenna reception problem. Analysts estimate that such action would cost Apple $1 to $5 a phone.
Under Fire, Apple to Discuss iPhone - WSJ.com

My guess, Apple will offer much more than just a free bumper...

Unless holding a press conference means a press conference about how to hold the phone...:)

Diogen.

I can't wait to hear about the details of this special iPhone 4 press conference on Friday.

I am starting to think about returning mine, I am getting tired of hanging up on people.

I you want to return it you can for free as Apple has waved the usual restocking fee.

iPhone 4 recall? Users can still return them | TiPb

To that, we’d just like to remind them and everyone else that anyone who has the antenna problem, the proximity sensor problem, or just wants to return their iPhone 4 to Apple is still within the 30 day period to do so, and Apple has waived the usual restocking free. That means anyone unhappy with iPhone 4 to the point of wanting Apple to take it back can already walk right in and give it back.

Sure, it’s not the same thing as a recall, or a free bumper, or having Apple genius’ squirt invisible insulation over the antenna juncture, but it’s reality today and for another week and a half to come.

Under Fire, Apple to Discuss iPhone - WSJ.com

My guess, Apple will offer much more than just a free bumper...

Unless holding a press conference means a press conference about how to hold the phone...:)

Diogen.

This was a rumor out yesterday that a few people who were getting newer phones (I don't remember how they got them) but these phones had a different ring around the phone and that reduced the antenna problem. But the reports were very sporadic so it isn't anything concrete. Who knows maybe Apple will announce something along these lines.

IMO, Apple should announce that the phones they are making now have a different band around the phone and either give a free bumper to people have the original iPhone 4 with the metal band or allow them to exchange their phone for one with the new band for free.

Also there is a rumor out this morning that iOS 4.0.1 will be released today. Hopefully this would include the signal bar change and hopefully fix the proximity issue. I don't have that problem but I know Scott does.

iOS 4.0.1 Being Released Today? - Mac Rumors

iPhoneHellas.gr claims that iOS 4.0.1 will be released today. They cite a "reliable" source for the information. The site, itself, has been proven to be reliable in the past with this kind of information. They previously pinpointed the exact release date of iPhone OS 2.2 over a week in advance.

iOS 4.0.1 would presumably include only bug fixes as well as the new signal strength indicators for the iPhone. The timing of the release the day before Apple's press conference is somewhat curious.

iOS 4.0.1 was released today which includes the update for the signal bar issue. This is the affect of the signal bar changes determined using iOS 4.1.

160322-signal_strength_rescaling.jpg

Perhaps because as shocking as this may seem to some around here, there are Verizon customers who want the iPhone.

Analyst: 17% of Verizon Customers Waiting for iPhone - Mac Rumors

Fortune reports on a new research note from Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty incorporating survey data suggesting significant upside for the next iPhone upgrade cycle. One of the most interesting pieces of data to come from the survey shows 16.8% of Verizon customers saying that they are "very likely" to purchase an iPhone once it breaks free of AT&T's exclusivity to land on their carrier. Huberty notes that that demand could add 8 million iPhone sales per year once Verizon gains access to the device.

Huberty also raised her target price for Apple from $275 to $310 on the basis of a number of factors.

In a note to clients issued early Monday, Morgan Stanley's Katy Huberty raised her Apple (AAPL) price target to $310 per share (from $275), suggesting that investors continue to underestimate 1) continued iPhone share gains, 2) better-than-expected iPad demand, 3) the growing Chinese market, and 4) increased penetration of the corporate market.
Huberty also increased her prediction of 2011 iPhone sales to 61.5 million, 25% higher than the current consensus among Wall Street analysts. Driving that projection is a surge in the percentage of customers looking to upgrade their current iPhones and expectations of Apple being able to offer a $99 iPhone 3GS as part of the hardware revisions expected next month.

...there are Verizon customers who want the iPhone.
Wait till tomorrow and their number will be cut in half.
And if Jobs (or any of his minions) mentions the word "magic" again, Verizon will be happy they never got it...

Diogen.

corrupted SD card on the droid - semaphore has expired

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts