Apartment / MDU installation questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DrPhysics

Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
I've been reading every thread I can find about apartment/MDU situations, but I'm still a bit perplexed. This is a long post, but I'm hoping somebody can read it and help me out.

I'm moving to an apartment complex in SoCal, and one company (let's call them "CSS") has a contract to provide directv service via a dish on the roof. The rep at CSS tells me that a $7.99 fee to use their wiring and signal is mandatory, and I have the following options on top of that:

1) One receiver is included. Additional receivers are $3 each. So if I want 3 TVs hooked up, it's $7.99+6=$13.99 on top of the DirecTV programming fees (which are the published rates). I would get one bill from DTV and one bill from CSS, he says.

2) If I have my own receivers, I have to just pay the $7.99 for the signal from the roof. Then the regular DTV programming fees. If I did this, I would have to tell CSS my DTV acct. number for some reason.

Either way, CSS charges $30 for a regular installation, and if I want to upgrade, they charge $100 to install a DVR (plus more for rental), and $350 to install a HDTV DVR (plus A LOT more for rental). They want installation fees even if the boxes are my own and I don't rent from CSS.

Okay. So I called DTV to see what they would say. They told me the following: I can order straight from DTV instead of going through CSS, and this gets me the 4 free receivers and free installation. They said it is no problem for them to install in a situation like this, but it is legit for me to have to pay CSS the $7.99 for access to their signal from the roof.

Then I got conflicting info about upgrading. One DTV person said that if I wanted to upgrade to DVR or HDTV later, I could just install the box myself b/c I already had service active. Another person said that they would have to send out an installer. This part isn't a big concern right now, as I only want basic service for the moment, but I anticipate upgrading in a few months.

I haven't called CSS back a third time to tell them that I want to just order from DTV directly, but when I do, I'm expecting resistance (like they will demand to do the install and collect the $30). The only thing they've said so far to try to dissuade me from using my own receivers is that if one of them breaks, DTV will have to help me, while if I rented from CSS, they would replace anything that breaks.

Has anybody dealt with this type of situation before? Is DTV correct that I can use any installer I want, and just give my acct number to CSS? CSS already admitted that I can use my own receivers if I have them, so my main issue is that I don't want to pay for an installation that DTV includes for free.

(I do not want to explore the option of having my own dish on the patio if I can avoid it.)

Thanks!

Here is a answer to your question

I am a MDU / Commercial / Residential Operator for DirecTV.

If I contract with a apartment complex to install a dish, and setup whatever is needed, I have exclusive rights to that dish, and all equipment leading to your location. I have the right to bill for use of the dish. This is because a lot of complexes will get free install, and setup from the companies, and in order to recoup their monies spent to install the system they will charge a RENT on the line use for signal. This is totally legal, and each apartment complex can forbid you to install a dish. Each complex has the right to govern what they consider COMMON AREA. This common area for each person may be a garden, a balcony, or whatever. If they are offering you access to a dish that they allowed to be put on a building, then they can essentially tell you that you can not put another dish up. DirecTV reps can tell you what they want, but if the system is under a lock and key, and can't be gotten to except by the OPERATOR of the site, then you are obviously not using their system without their knowledge.

The part about paying a fee to access the signal coming from a dish on the roof actually makes sense to me, and seems perfectly reasonable and fair. So I understand paying the $7.99 fee for signal access.

The part that I'm trying to get an answer about is whether I can have anybody do the receiver set-up / installation in my apartment, or if I have to pay CSS their installation fees, which for certain types of receivers seem quite high.

I apologize for not being clear in my first post that when I was asking about installation, I was only referring to getting the receivers hooked up inside the apartment - not referring to putting up another dish. Is there a reason why I can't accept DTVs offer of free (inside) installation / receiver set-up?

There is a good chance CSS is using a band stacked distribution system for the signal. Your equipment may not work on their system without an adapter they provide in the monthly cost. The best advice is sign up with CSS or look for other living quarters.

" Each complex has the right to govern what they consider COMMON AREA. This common area for each person may be a garden, a balcony, or whatever."
Just for general info, a balcony is not a COMMON AREA. The tennant has control on what goes on their balcony or deck, and can attatch a dish to the railing or wall of said balcony or deck. There is a 17 page Q&A section on the FCC's website covering these issues with Landlords and Home owners Associations.--Ray

Hi

Over here in NJ we have had numerous lawsuits go on...

The apartment complex has the right to not include balconys into your
"private area." Being it is their railings, and all.

The last 4 lawsuits I heard about over here were thrown out because
the landlords are getting very shrewd in wordings...

FCC has good rules in place, but read it a little better...
The contract for rental may be worded just right to avoid all issues.

They also have the right to forbid you from drilling into the building to
get the wire into the apartment. They also could forbid you from using
the railing because it would hinder their painting, etc...

Follow...Thats the way the animal goes, and the FCC can't do Jack about
it. Legal rental documents are still legal rental documents. If you sign a
special clause stating for example... "I will not install any satellite dish
during my residence in the apartment." or "I understand that I must get
written complex permits for a satellite dish to be installed."

If I was to violate either clause... I could legally be evicted.

techjpm said:
Over here in NJ we have had numerous lawsuits go on...

The apartment complex has the right to not include balconys into your
"private area." Being it is their railings, and all.

The last 4 lawsuits I heard about over here were thrown out because
the landlords are getting very shrewd in wordings...

FCC has good rules in place, but read it a little better...
The contract for rental may be worded just right to avoid all issues.

They also have the right to forbid you from drilling into the building to
get the wire into the apartment. They also could forbid you from using
the railing because it would hinder their painting, etc...

Follow...Thats the way the animal goes, and the FCC can't do Jack about
it. Legal rental documents are still legal rental documents. If you sign a
special clause stating for example... "I will not install any satellite dish
during my residence in the apartment." or "I understand that I must get
written complex permits for a satellite dish to be installed."

If I was to violate either clause... I could legally be evicted.

Yha Some complexes are ridiculous about the way they do things.

I have been to one set of apartments were there was a balcony outside of everyones back doors that only the resident in that apartment could use. This is not considered a common area. The rules read tenets could install satellite systems on a tripod on the balcony but the catch was no drilling or no running wires though the doors or windows "Would like to know how the hell I am suppose to install a system like that. They actually said that they preferred the satellite to be indoors. :confused:

You may want to reread,it states that a monthly fee is not legal.It is not up to the customer/tenant to maintain the dish and wiring.That falls on the property owner,they are the ones that don't want separate dishes at every apartment.

Q: If my association, building management, landlord, or property owner provides a central antenna, may I install an individual antenna?

A: Generally, the availability of a central antenna may allow the association, landlord, property owner, or other management entity to restrict the installation by individuals of antennas otherwise protected by the rule.Restrictions based on the availability of a central antenna will generally be permissible provided that: (1) the person receives the particular video programming or fixed wireless service that the person desires and could receive with an individual antenna covered under the rule (e.g., the person would be entitled to receive service from a specific provider, not simply a provider selected by the association); (2) the signal quality of transmission to and from the person's home using the central antenna is as good as, or better than, the quality the person could receive or transmit with an individual antenna covered by the rule; (3) the costs associated with the use of the central antenna are not greater than the costs of installation, maintenance and use of an individual antenna covered under the rule; and (4) the requirement to use the central antenna instead of an individual antenna does not unreasonably delay the viewer's ability to receive video programming or fixed wireless services.

Tate Satellites said:
Yha Some complexes are ridiculous about the way they do things.

I have been to one set of apartments were there was a balcony outside of everyones back doors that only the resident in that apartment could use. This is not considered a common area. The rules read tenets could install satellite systems on a tripod on the balcony but the catch was no drilling or no running wires though the doors or windows "Would like to know how the hell I am suppose to install a system like that. They actually said that they preferred the satellite to be indoors. :confused:

There are ways around situations like this. There is something called a glass link. You can mount it to a window or glass door and connect your cable to both sides. It's expensive and not so easy to find anymore, but it's made by Toshiba. There are also flat cables that can in some cases fit between sliding doors and windows. Either way there is no drilling. As far as mounting a dish goes you can also use a bouy mount. They are available from Robert at Value Electronics. I think that would be a more stable solution that mounting to a tripod that you couldn't drill to the deck.

Hi

For Tom...

I am not saying you are wrong, but I am also not saying you are right...

If you reread...
(3) the costs associated with the use of the central antenna are not greater than the costs of installation, maintenance and use of an individual antenna covered under the rule;

The company that installed the dish can charge reasonable fees...
$7-$8... as long as they don't go overboard...

Now... If a person moves into a complex, and signs a waiver that they will
not install a dish ever, and won't attempt legal action, then the complex
has a win/win situation because... as wise man once said...
Read before you sign... Let the buyer beware...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

New Directv Subscriptions

which dish do I need?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)