Any DVD recorder that records 480p?

Fgsilva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
Vallejo, CA
Hi,

I'm trying to have a poor man's DVR from my 811 using a DVR recorder. TOday I got the PHillips DVDR615 thinking that I would be able to set my 811 to 480p and then connect from its component output to the recorder component input. Unfortunately all I got was a horible split screen showing half of the original screen twice on both sides! I researched here and I saw that somebody had the same problem wih the DVDR615 (I should had done a search here first...). Phillips representative ont the phone also told me that it wouldn't record. So, does anybody know of a DVD recorder out there that will actually record 480p from the 811?I've done some google search and so far nothing!

Thanks for any info!

Until HD DVD recorders become available there aren't any DVD recorders currently available that will record in 480P, just in 480I. I do believe that Toshiba and Sony are slated to release the first HD DVD recorders but expect to drop between $1,500 and $2,000 on one of their units.

nsafreak said:
Until HD DVD recorders become available there aren't any DVD recorders currently available that will record in 480P, just in 480I. I do believe that Toshiba and Sony are slated to release the first HD DVD recorders but expect to drop between $1,500 and $2,000 on one of their units.

Ouch! Thanks for the info anyway. So I guess no DVD recorder for me then, at least for a while (till I win the lottery!).

How can it record in 480p if there is no component video input? The only dvd recorders I have seen with component in are Magnavox and Phillips units.

kabanero said:
Nope.

There are no DVD recorders on the market right now. They all can output 480p, but they all record 480i.
According to the manual to my Sony it records in 480p. I just checked with the BestBuy website and it indicates the same.

ByrdWatcher said:
According to the manual to my Sony it records in 480p. I just checked with the BestBuy website and it indicates the same.
ByrdWatcher,

1. I wouldn't trust BestBuy.

2. Could you point the page number from the GX7 (or whatever recorder you have) manual that says that it records in 480p. I am asking this because according to my knowledge, there is no comsumer stand alone dvd recorder that records in 480p. It must be some mistake, or misprint, or something else. Or I may be wrong, of course. I just curious.

thanks.

This sony doesnt even have a component video input!

Anyway you do it, its not gonna look any better than just buying the dvd at the store. The D/A conversion of the 811, then the A/D conversion of your dvd recorder is gonna affect quality for sure. Besides how much of a 480p movie do you think your gonna fit on a dvd, even if you use dual layer? A nice 480i action film uses at least 7 gigs before special features. How large do you think a 480p output is. lets say 10 gigs to be conservative, not gonna fit on one disc even with dual layer. Sorry gonna have to wait for blu-ray to do it right.

PS Does anyone know anything about the PS3, when does it come out? i heard it has a blu-ray drive in it! :shocked

Jon

kabanero said:
Sorry,

had to bump my post count to 5 in order to post url.
Heh, I didn't know this site was set up that way, but I guess it helps keep spammers from posting unwanted URLs on here. Anyways, glad you're now more of an official contributing member, kabanero. :)

TuxCoder said:
Heh, I didn't know this site was set up that way, but I guess it helps keep spammers from posting unwanted URLs on here. Anyways, glad you're now more of an official contributing member, kabanero. :)

thanks, I am glad too. :)

Ok guys I just got off of Sony's online support. I have the RDR-HX900 which does have video component in and out jacks,for what I don't know. I was told by a guy named Rodney that all HD programing is copywright protected and it will not record 480p on a dvd. I will be checking my manual tonight. I stand corrected. Thanks

Funny thing though I have my off air digital receiver connected to the component jacks and it records what ever I watch. Maybe it converts down to 480i. Really confused now. Sorry about the incorrect information.

ByrdWatcher

Here is the screen capture form PDF file from HX900 manual page 13:

Attachments

• manual.jpg
    manual.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 300

Will programming change affect my current pricing?

Need confirmation on wiring diagram

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)