Am I really imcompetent?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

KenPasadena

Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
I purchased two HD20-600 receiver 6 months ago. One of them keep getting a message 771 and multi-switch error. So Before I called Direct Tv, I re-aimed the Dish, checked the wires and then I switched the two receivers. The one that was giving me the messages, was still giving me messages in the new room. The other one - no messages at all. I also changed the b-band converter and still had the same problem.
I called Direct TV, talked with a great tech support guy (Dan) and after some trying, he thought the receiver was defective and sent me a replacement.
I received the replacement and installed it. I turned it on and no picture throught HDMI. I then connected it with RCA and got a lousy picture, pixulated. So I called, activated it, then sent to tech support. After 15 minutes of wait, I get Heather. The first thing she tells me, I should not have gotten another receiver and Dan should of order a service crew. She did not want to send out another one. Well, after an hour of pulling wires and trying different tvs, she decided to send me another one and if that doesn't work, she is insisting on a service call.
After dealing with her, I was so angry and upset and wonder, am I that incompetent with all this stuff. I got my first dish back in 1995 and had to install it myself. I am pretty handy with all this electronics stuff.

I aimed my slimline dish right, i got signal strenghts in the 90s and it only occurs on one receiver, whereever i move it too. You guys are the experts, am I right to say that both receivers have issues?

I purchased two HD20-600 receiver 6 months ago. One of them keep getting a message 771 and multi-switch error. So Before I called Direct Tv, I re-aimed the Dish, checked the wires and then I switched the two receivers. The one that was giving me the messages, was still giving me messages in the new room. The other one - no messages at all. I also changed the b-band converter and still had the same problem.
I called Direct TV, talked with a great tech support guy (Dan) and after some trying, he thought the receiver was defective and sent me a replacement.
I received the replacement and installed it. I turned it on and no picture throught HDMI. I then connected it with RCA and got a lousy picture, pixulated. So I called, activated it, then sent to tech support. After 15 minutes of wait, I get Heather. The first thing she tells me, I should not have gotten another receiver and Dan should of order a service crew. She did not want to send out another one. Well, after an hour of pulling wires and trying different tvs, she decided to send me another one and if that doesn't work, she is insisting on a service call.
After dealing with her, I was so angry and upset and wonder, am I that incompetent with all this stuff. I got my first dish back in 1995 and had to install it myself. I am pretty handy with all this electronics stuff.

I aimed my slimline dish right, i got signal strenghts in the 90s and it only occurs on one receiver, whereever i move it too. You guys are the experts, am I right to say that both receivers have issues?

You said you are getting a multiswitch error. Did it occur to you that you might have a bad multiswitch? Are you even using one? If so, take it out of the system and run the lines directly from the dish to your receivers. If you only have the two, you don't need a separate switch. If the problem moves to the other receiver, then it is either the switch or the lines. If you are not using a separate switch, it could be the one built into the dish. Have you checked all of you signal levels on all of the satellites? What are they?

No, I am not using a separate multi-switch. I have two lines coming from the dish to each receiver.

From the receiver that was not receiveing the messages,
101 had an average of 95
110 has an average of 95
199 has an average of 89
99 and 103 i can not remember

No, I am not using a separate multi-switch. I have two lines coming from the dish to each receiver.

From the receiver that was not receiveing the messages,
101 had an average of 95
110 has an average of 95
199 has an average of 89
99 and 103 i can not remember

Which model receiver do you have? There is no such thing as an HD20-600. Do you mean H20-600? If so, there is only one input. The HR20-700 and HR20-100 have two inputs. We need to see the signal levels on 99 and 103.

Don't let what they say upset you too much. You get some good techs when you call but most of them are just following a script and don't know as much as many of us users do. They probably don't even have one at home. If your next receiver won't work then the problem is probably in the set up somewhere and you will find it. Sometimes I run into a "stone wall" trying to get something to work, then the next day I come up with another idea to try. Good luck!

Don't let what they say upset you too much. You get some good techs when you call but most of them are just following a script and don't know as much as many of us users do. They probably don't even have one at home. If your next receiver won't work then the problem is probably in the set up somewhere and you will find it. Sometimes I run into a "stone wall" trying to get something to work, then the next day I come up with another idea to try. Good luck!

Seems like the only thing tech support accomplished was to exchange his new receiver with a refurbished one. Thats something they WON'T tell you when they do an exchange. Have you checked the dish settings in the menu? Make sure it's set to 5 lnb dish(if that is your dish). But with the different problems you're having, I agree with Heather, Dan should have sent out a service tech.

Thanks guys for letting me vent a little.

I was thinking about this all night, wondering if maybe I do have a bad 5-LNB.

Well this morning, I took the receiver in question to another house with the same set up as mines. Slimline Dish and no additional mulitswitch. This house has 4 working H-20 receivers and no problems. I hooked up this receiver, it booted up. I went to CNN HD and got 771 searching for signal. Went to SD CNN got picture, the changed the channel to Headline news and got 771 searching for signal! There were no messages on the other receivers when this occured!

Am I safe to say, defective receiver?

Well this morning, I took the receiver in question to another house with the same set up as mines. Slimline Dish and no additional mulitswitch. This house has 4 working H-20 receivers and no problems. I hooked up this receiver, it booted up. I went to CNN HD and got 771 searching for signal. Went to SD CNN got picture, the changed the channel to Headline news and got 771 searching for signal! There were no messages on the other receivers when this occured!

Sounds like the receiver is defective, with a bad tuner.

Everyone has a Multi switch. What do you think is on the backside of the LNB's. It said Multi Switch error. It very well could be just that .

I should have said "a separate multiswitch". Sorry for any confusion I caused.

Seems like the only thing tech support accomplished was to exchange his new receiver with a refurbished one. Thats something they WON'T tell you when they do an exchange. Have you checked the dish settings in the menu? Make sure it's set to 5 lnb dish(if that is your dish). But with the different problems you're having, I agree with Heather, Dan should have sent out a service tech.

I've had a refurbished HR20-700 for over a year now and it's worked like a champ , just because it's refurbished doesn't mean it's bad.

Jimbo

Did the house you were at testing have the Broadband Converter on, if you did not have them on you would get a searching for signal as it would not be changed to the correct frequency for the rec. to see it.
You won't get an Mpeg 4 signal without the BBC's

Jimbo

Thanks guys are all the info and support.

I am happy to report that I have finally resolved my problem. I received a second refurbished receiver and once I hooked it up, I had it all set up and activated in under 20 minutes. And, it is working perfectly.

To recap: My orginal receiver would get a 771 message and Multiswitch message. I switched locations with the other receiver and it got the same message at the new location. Took the receiver to another house and got the same 771 and multiswitch messages.

I received a refurbished receiver and I had no picture thourght the HDMI output. Component was just a blue screen and RCA was elongated, out of the screen area and pixulated. Heather told me, you really don't need HDMI anyways, most TVs don't have it anyways. (I have 2 HDMI TVs)

So, thank you everyone for your support and ear to listen to my rant!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

H20 HD Receiver Software Release Notes 0x404A

Receiver Activation/Deactivation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)