Alignment Question - Help Please!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sidekick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
Port Angeles, Washington
I installed my system a couple of weeks ago with the help of some people on this site and I thank you all for your assistance. I think however, that I must be off somewhat. I know I'm "on" somewhat as I'm able to get Galaxy10r and IA-5 perfectly. But, here is the dilemma: I must be of somewhere as when I scan certain satellites, I don't get that satellite's stations, but I get another satellite. For instance, when I scan AMC3, I don't get any of the PBS stations, etc, but I get many news feeds like ABC, CNN, Freebird, Tandberg, CBS News Now, etc. I believe those are actually on IA-6. When I scan AMC4 I get the Pentagon Channel and Safeway Satellite Network. From what I understand, those channels are really on AMC1. I'm also unable to get IA-6 and AMC 5 properly. How is it that I can be right on Galaxy 10r and IA-5, yet completely off the other satellites? Does anyone have any suggestions for remedying this problem that don't involve totally dismantling the dish settings? I'd hate to lose what I already have, but at the same time, the wife really wants PBS. Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions. For point of reference, my TS bird is Echostar 7 and I'm in Ventura, California. I set the dish to point at 165.

What signal strength were you getting on Echo 7 when you peaked it?
Do you use more than 1 or 2 "nudges" east or west when you fine tune a satellite with 1.2?

I remember getting Echo7 in the very high 70's. Yes, in some cases there were significantly more than two "nudges". Does this sound feasible to you?: I was thinking about 1) finding my strongest signal on Echo7 on the "Dish Setting" section; 2) going back on the roof to see how the dish, motor, etc., is aligned, and if its not aligned in straight fashion, make that adjustment to make sure the system is pointed directly at Echo7. 3) then come back and do my scan, nudges, etc. Does that sound like a reasonable endeavor? Thanks!

Sounds good but I would use the weakest TP. to point the dish on a DBS satellite, that way your pointing will be more accurate as the DBS satellites are VERY strong.

Not in front of my TV right now, but if there is a weak TP. use that!

I was just thinking, how about pointing it at Nasa TV at TP 12297 on Echostar 7. That way I can actually see a picture when I'm adjusting the dish setup?

Thanks for the help and advice everybody. The learning curve is great and this forum and its members are invaluable! I'll be back up on the roof after the work day's done. Wish me luck!!

make sure to check that your pole is plumb while you are up there ;-)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DrDish@TV Re-Broadcast August Issue

Audio on G10R

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts