97W in Newfoundland

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mtiqbal

Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
newfoundland
I am in st. john's Newfoundland. I am trying to receive 97W using a viewsat 9000HD, fortec 1.8m prime focus dish and a invacom quad output lnb. Dish pointer help me find direction. No success so far with 97W. I can receive free channels on 82 or 91 or 119 using circular output of my lnf without any issue. I can receive free channels on 107 using my dish and lnb linear output and an old starchoice receiver. Why am I failing to receive 97W. Which TIP should I use for a stronger signal in Newfoundland? I think 1.8m dia prime focus dish should be good enough. Help me please. Thanks

I live on the other coast, so I can't say much for the signal level.
However, here is a map supplied by Satstar showing suggested dish sizes.
(there's an error saying that's for C-band, but they are mistaken)

The other point to bring up, is which exact LNB are you using on your prime focus 6' dish?
If it's an Invacom with the built-in feedhorn, you are missing much of the signal.
You really need one of the following:
- and Chaparral or similar feed with the proper LNB, and adjusted for your dish
- an Invacom (or other LNB) which can take a scalar/feed with the proper F/D such as the Invacom AF-120
- something like this LNBF with a built-in scalar to match your dish.

I use tp 12177v. Its not the strongest tp but I find its the best one to even everything out. I get about 50% on that tp and some in the 60's and 70's. I also pick of 93w at the same time because I am using a st*r Ch*ice dish and quad lnb.

I also pick of 93w at the same time because I am using a st*r Ch*ice dish and quad lnb.

Why use * in Star Choice? We dont have issues here with folks using the names of the equipment :)

Those quad LNB's work great for 2 sats. I had mine at 97/101 for a while until the LNB blew up

lnbf

I think Anole nailed that one too, wrong lnbf for a prime-focus dish. I wager that with a prime focus feedhorn/lnb that dish would rule Newfoundland. We welcome in the new member mtiqbal!!

Anole mentions the prime focus KU LNB. I have one and tried it on my 6 footer for a guy who was thinking of getting one for 97W in Hawaii

Here are the results of using a Prime Focus KU LNB versus a regular one. Now I'm in Minnesota so the difference may not be much but on the edges of the footprint it will make a big difference

SatelliteGuys.US - View Single Post - BSC321SP F/D ratio

Hi

My lnb look like "http://www.dvbhardware.com/product_info.php?products_id=55" and dish is "http://www.fortecstar.com/estore/storefront/default.asp?ProductID=15&CategoryID=8" I am not sure whether my lnb has a built in feedhorn. Where can I get a feedhorn for my lnb? I have starchoice quad output lnb and lnb for 118W. Any of these lnbs good for 97W? thanks.

I live on the other coast, so I can't say much for the signal level.
However, here is a map supplied by Satstar showing suggested dish sizes.
(there's an error saying that's for C-band, but they are mistaken)

The other point to bring up, is which exact LNB are you using on your prime focus 6' dish?
If it's an Invacom with the built-in feedhorn, you are missing much of the signal.
You really need one of the following:
- and Chaparral or similar feed with the proper LNB, and adjusted for your dish
- an Invacom (or other LNB) which can take a scalar/feed with the proper F/D such as the Invacom AF-120
- something like this LNBF with a built-in scalar to match your dish.

In re: to Newfoundland, NTV was a great channel with it was ITC back in the day.

Yes your lnbf has a feedhorn built-in, hence the name LNBF=Low Noise Block downconverter Feedhorn. It's just the end-part facing the dish, gathers/focuses the signal into the lnb-part of it. On a prime focus dish, with the usual feedhorn/lnb combo, the feedhorn is more visible, and actually bolts to the lnb, similar to the same style of older C-band or big dish feedhorn/lnb combination. Check some of our sponsors websites for the prime focus lnb and feedhorn. I wish I had a picture at hand to post for you but maybe this information will give you an idea of what it is. They all do the same thing, just that on an offset-fed dish the lnbf (where feedhorn and lnb is one-piece) looks different from the prime focus dish.

Yes your lnbf has a feedhorn built-in, hence the name LNBF=Low Noise Block downconverter Feedhorn. It's just the end-part facing the dish, gathers/focuses the signal into the lnb-part of it. On a prime focus dish, with the usual feedhorn/lnb combo, the feedhorn is more visible, and actually bolts to the lnb, similar to the same style of older C-band or big dish feedhorn/lnb combination. Check some of our sponsors websites for the prime focus lnb and feedhorn. I wish I had a picture at hand to post for you but maybe this information will give you an idea of what it is. They all do the same thing, just that on an offset-fed dish the lnbf (where feedhorn and lnb is one-piece) looks different from the prime focus dish.

So which one is better for a prime focus dish. A LNBF or a LNB and a separate feedhorn? Thanks

The prime-focus dish needs a feedhorn with a scalar ring, I'll get you a picture tomorrow, when I find the one I bought. It actually worked pretty well on a 5' c=band dish that I put it on. Then I discovered off-set feed dishes (that is, old primestar dishes and such) and I found out I could get the same, or better signal levels with a 1m dish that was MADE for ku signals than what the old 5' dish was giving me. Plus I didn't have to deal with using an old analog sat receiver to change polarity. I still prefer that type lnb/feedhorn, but fta receivers won't change polarity for you using one of those, but work excellently with the lnbf-type feedhorns.
so to answer the question i suppose it is a matter of choice. If you want one that does circular you can keep trying to use that lnb you have, but if you don't need circular I would ditch that qph-whatever and just get a regular ku-band lnbf. That big dish may even throw you in some c-band signals, if you get interested in that later you'll want a c-/ku feedhorn.

too little info?

Maybe too much was left unsaid.

Please re-read posts 2 and 6, above.
In #2, look at the links I gave - they are there because they are important.
In #6, Iceberg links a test of various LNBF's on a prime focus dish, demonstrating that one properly matched, gives far better performance.

The F/D of a dish or LNBF is something like wide-angle vs telephoto on a camera lens.
Low F/D like .3 or .4 is wide angle; the LNBF is relatively close to the dish, yet sees the entire surface.
Higher F/D like .6 or .7 is telephoto; the LNBF is farther away from the dish, but still sees the entire surface.
Put a .7 F/D LNBF on a .3 dish (which is what you are doing), and all the LNBF will see, is the middle of the dish, not all of it.

Prime focus dishes (we deal with) have an F/D of under .4 (as a rule)
Offset-feed dishes (we deal with) have an F/D around .6 (one notable exception is 0.5, though)

You have an Invacom QPH-031 LNB with feedhorn (the H in the part number).
One (expensive) solution, is the QPF-031, with no feedhorn ( the F in the part number means: Flange)
The QPF-031 bolts onto the flange of an existing feedhorn; the AF-120 has a low F/D which will let it see a prime focus dish.
(shown in my link, above)

The other examples (above) should be self-explanatory (but that's what I thought the first time). - :D

Thanks all who replied to my post.

An update from St. John's Newfoundland.

I moved my dish to another location and after spending many hours setting up the direction I received 97W. I had an old sat file so I edited TPs to a new set from lyngsat.com After auto scan I got 139 channels. Signal is week on some TP while it is good on others. I am not sure what is the reason for that.

I still have few more questions.

1). I am using a factory file. Some channel are scrambled. Is there a fix for viewsat 9000hd for 97W?

2) Where can I find an updated sat file for viewsat 9000hd?

3) What can I do to increase signal level on TPs presently with a low signal? ( I tried an in-line 20dB amplifier but it did not help)

4) I tried coolsat 6000, viewsat ultra and viewsat 9000hd. But signal level is about same. In your experience which of these receivers is most sensitive. ( For a same lnbf and cable, coolsat gives me 70% signal while viewsat gives me 40% signal. What is the reason for that?)

5) Which other satellite has many free english channels and strong signal in Newfoundland?

Thanks again for your help.

There are 210+channels on 97 last time I scanned it. To answer some of your questions, #1=some of the channels ARE scrambled on 97W, and "fixes" or hacking isn't allowed here, as it is illegal to bypass a channels security using hacked firmware (google coolsat, viewsat to see results of this practice). #2 Satfiles might be found from other users who have them, or have created them using the channelmaster program or other receivers. They're just lists of satellites and transponders that most receivers create as you add satellites and scan them, I believe. A receiver that doesn't blind scan would have a hard time creating one I suppose, For #3 I believe this whole thread has been about what you need to do-find a feedhorn with lnb matched for a prime-focus dish. #4 Can't say, but from other users experiences I've read, the coolsats probably have the better tuner, more sensitivity that is.

Signal and quality are two different things. You will get a signal reading even if the LNBF is facing the ground. All it means is that you have a good connection between the receiver and the LNBF. Quality is the reading that is important, and it will read differently among receivers from different manufacturers. This is normal, and is not necessarily an indication of the sensitivity of a given receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

A Big Thank You

DVBWorld 2104D Questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)