91,433 and dropping.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I wonder if that includes analog Videocipher and digital 4DTV subscribers?

Just a guess, but I'd think it's only the 4dtv numbers. Motorola controls the 4dtv hardware, but analog was around long before 4dtv came into existence. Unfortunately analog is just about gone now. There's probably somewhere between 10 and 20 VC channels left.

It's a shame but people have been brainwashed by the pizza-dish guys. The guy that gave me my analog receiver now has Dish and he couldn't believe that I could get anything but feeds on C Band.

I'm kinda wondering if we won't see some growth in cband as the HD televisions get more market share. Some of the master SD feeds from cband look pretty decent on my 100" projector screen. The HBO's SD's look close to HD quality and the HD signals are awesome. I got rid of Dish Network a year ago after having it for 7 years, and their stuff looks like crap by comparison. Of course the reuplinks on Cband look pretty much the same as Dish, but you can't beat the master feeds.

The HBO's SD's look close to HD quality and the HD signals are awesome. I got rid of Dish Network a year ago after having it for 7 years, and their stuff looks like crap by comparison.

I hooked up an analog receiver to my Ku FTA setup, and watched a bit of a sports feed last night. The quality of the picture was stunning. I've been watching over-compressed images since about 1996 on Directv and then ExpressVu. It is a true shame that analog signals are going away.

I bet some of the decline has to do with people are having a hard time finding someone to service their BUD...

I think you are right. Also, it is very expensive to service or install a c-band setup.

I hope c-band dish owners would hang on to their dishes since they could use it for FTA DVB reception. If they have a working system, all they have to add is a V-Box II and a DVB FTA receiver such as the Mercury II, etc.

The picture quality you get with C-band is amazing.

Quite frankly, I figured the number had to be dropping fast as I am always amazed that at minimum 2-3 (most days more) DSR-905/920/922s are put up for sale on ebay.

I am even more surpised is they are continuing to hold their price.

Quite frankly, I figured the number had to be dropping fast as I am always amazed that at minimum 2-3 (most days more) DSR-905/920/922s are put up for sale on ebay.

I am even more surpised is they are continuing to hold their price.

I also wonder why the price is so high when it's just a SD receiver and designed years ago. IMO the 922 should be priced at around a $150 even though I paid close to $700 for mine a few years ago. If the HD decoder was built into the 922 then yes, it would be worth more. If anybody could explain why Motorola is still getting so much for these Dinosaurs. Please DO. And don't say "but it has a built in Dish mover".

you should only count the 922s, because how do you know the 905s and 920s aren't being replaced by 922s. Kidding, but the sky isn't falling. People get tired of the maintenence, ect, of their cband system. That happens. Im more worried about the lack of new installs.

I also wonder why the price is so high when it's just a SD receiver and designed years ago. IMO the 922 should be priced at around a $150 even though I paid close to $700 for mine a few years ago.

I've wondered the same. I am putting up a BUD in the spring, and I'm going to be using it strictly for FTA using an analog receiver, DVB receiver and probably a PCI Tuner card. I'm waiting until I can get a deal on a 4DTV box ($150 or less) before I buy one. The pizza size dish guys are giving away the hardware for free, I don't want to spend $700+ on a decoder.

I think you are right. Also, it is very expensive to service or install a c-band setup.

I hope c-band dish owners would hang on to their dishes since they could use it for FTA DVB reception. If they have a working system, all they have to add is a V-Box II and a DVB FTA receiver such as the Mercury II, etc.

The picture quality you get with C-band is amazing.

If they only knew...

Especially, with the pizza dish companies pushing their services as hard as they do.. People are saying "screw this" I'll pay out the a$$ instead, Hahaha

I also wonder why the price is so high when it's just a SD receiver and designed years ago. IMO the 922 should be priced at around a $150 even though I paid close to $700 for mine a few years ago. If the HD decoder was built into the 922 then yes, it would be worth more. If anybody could explain why Motorola is still getting so much for these Dinosaurs. Please DO. And don't say "but it has a built in Dish mover".

Honestly it has to average 2 922s a day listed on ebay.

You might also note that there are a lot more of dish network or dtv recievers. AND at least they are getting bought by analog switcher-overers so they don't quit.

Um, maybe because its the ONLY way to recieve sub programming to the band of satellites? No competition. If drake and chaparral were also making these subscribeable recievers then i bet it would be closer to $200. I think its worth it. $700 would definately be high for these days, but recievers can be found at 399 at skyvision with purchase (to me this is pretty fair), and im sure i can find $150 worth of stuff that could use improving. Besides, the dish mover IS a big deal. Those separate dish mover boxes that are fifty bucks don't auto-travel the arc and find them for you or integrate the system with the timers that auto move the dish when you preprogram the timers (up to a year in advance :) ). For $50 bucks it only shows abbreviations on the front of the box, only allowing enter of satellite and manual east/west. Im talking new, not used. Get the sidecar NEW without mover and you can get by for that $150-200 that you like.
You are comparing (unfairly i might add) this multi task reciever with those little dish DVB receivers that dish is PUSHING (mass production). FTA receivers of the same tasking abilities run the same price as the LittleSillyDish receivers. There is a FTA reciever with the hard drive that acts like the LSD reciever and its running around $450 (skyvision, also i don't think it moves the dish).
Hell tivo is 250 and doesn't have polarity switching, multi banding (C/ku),mapping,dish moving, picture peaking signal meters that fix the picture for you, ect.
And how many channels would fit on cband reciev. if the channels were filled? 5,000? its a hundred channels per transponder, right? How many maxiumum can the LSD reciever hold, if full? (i might be way off on this, as i didn't research, just seems like there should be more channels?)
Obviously the LSD pushers are making their stuff appealing until they squash out their competition. Just like stuff on ebay. Might find a cheap item for a dollar (free recievers and basic install), but check out the shipping (ie programming costs, per box per month, upgrades, extra lollypop dishes, anything other than super basic installation, lack of phone connection.. all extras PER month) You have a problem with them or their services, tuff! dish net is dish net. Im sure this is all cliche again, oh well. I have some other friends that upgraded their system to the DVR and upped to the 120 i think (the first package with starz might even be the 60 but probably not) after they were with dish for well over a couple of years, and their bill for that month was 168 dollars! That would have got me a new feedhorn! I can always hook up to the dvd recorder.
By the way, i don't dislike any system, even cable. When I go somewhere, and the TV is on a decent subscription channel, im happy. Cband seems to be a hobbyist sport, and gets pricey, but im loving it.

I read this later and it sounds like im attacking --- promise that im not, english class was never my strong point. I was more of a math geek!

Last edited:
Only 24yo here and look at all my stuff, I love this hobby too. And most of my things are new, I dropped $500 to NPS for 4dtv and movie package, and I don't regret it at all. I find a lot of things on my big dish. My only complaint is that I wish we have more providers to get the programming from, NPS seems to only want to uplink channels, maybe its cheaper that a contract for the master feeds, or just not get it at all. They do a good job but it could be better. And the uplinks aren't great PQ either. But oh well, I am loving it while it lasts.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Owners Manual??

Very impressed with C-band "rain/snow fade"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)