811 and Dial Tone

mebgardener

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 11, 2004
Mebane, NC
I'm hoping that one of y'all could help me with an annoying problem. I have voice mail as part of my phone service. The voice mail feature forgoes the normal dial tone in place of a different tone when you pick up the receiver. The tone basically indicates whether there is voice mail present or not. Since this tone is not the normal dial tone you'd hear on basic phone service, the 811 receiver fails the phone check test. This is no big deal since the unit works fine after failing the test. However, I can't order PPV movies or events through the 811 receiver. I have to pay an extra dollar to order it through Dishnetwork's website or call in.
So, my question: Is there any way to trick the 811 to detect a dial tone?

I've already approached the following:
- Asked E* if there was a bypass when dialing out and they said no.
- Asked local phone company on changing tone back to dial tone and they said that there is no way unless I drop the voice mail feature.

You're paying a monthly fee to the phone co for voice mail!
You can get a digital (no tape) answering mach. for 20 bucks.

fred

Fred, the voice mail feature is part of a package that includes unlimited long distance and DSL. I'm not giving it up. I'm just asking for some sort of "trick" to order movies that's all. I'm always amazed at the technical wizards that are on this forum so I figured it was worth a shot to ask a question.

Unfortunately, it doesn't return to normal dial tone. I've already asked the telco to look into it and see if they can request for this feature from their equipment supplier. They then thanked me for my input and gave me a free lollipop. That was about a year ago.

311 reciver

EchoStar and Rainbow DBS File FCC Application

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)