May 1, 2005
New member!!!

Looking for help in adding a 522 to my current system

Currently I have a dish 500 with twin lnb and 2 sw21's
supplying a 3800 and a dp301.

I was informed that I'll need a dp quad lnb
then informed by another that the 3800 will not work with quad

any suggestions??

Right - 3800 would need a DP Adapter (expensive) to use a DP Quad.

A Legacy Quad will do it for a 2-bird, 4-tuner setup.

HOWEVER, I doubt you have a Twin and are using SW-21s unless you're not telling us everything - like having a second dish.

If you have a pair of Legacy Duals, THEN the pair of SW-21s makes sense.

If it's the former (wing dish), then you'll need a pair of Legacy Duals (or a Legacy Quad) and a SW64 for a 3-bird, 4-tuner setup.

ok ok
you can tell I know only enough to get in trouble....
please have patience with me!
I do not have 2 dishes...
I know I have a Dish 500, as for the lnb's, I have two "eyes" with 110 and 119 each that feed sw21's (I thought that made them "twin lnb's"). Is there an easy way to tell Legecy from Dish Pro?
and ...
what does the wing dish look like, oval maybe? not mine!
what does "3-bird" mean?

You have what is the oldest configuration of the Dish500. You have two original legacy dual lnbs with two sw21 switches. All DishPro equipment is marked DishPro, with the lnbs marked on the front with a large black rectangular logo signifying DishPro.

In your case, your best option is a Legacy Quad lnb. It is a one piece unit that fits on the end of the plastic adaptor and replaces the two current legacy dual lnbs that you currently have. Simply, it has four cable connections. In your case, one cable will go to the 301, one to the 3800 and two to the 522.

pamccrac said:
I know I have a Dish 500, as for the lnb's, I have two "eyes" with 110 and 119 each that feed sw21's (I thought that made them "twin lnb's").
No, that makes them "duals" and, since they're connected to SW21s, they are legacy.

Single = 1 LNB, 1 output
Dual = 1 LNB, 2 outputs, same size as a Single
Twin = 2 LNBs, 2 outputs, internal switch, about 6" wide
Quad = 2 LNBs, 4 outputs, internal switch, same size as a Twin
Is there an easy way to tell Legecy from Dish Pro?
The DishPro LNBs will have a prominent dp logo like on the front of your 301.
what does the wing dish look like, oval maybe? not mine!
what does "3-bird" mean?
3-bird means receiving 3 satellite positions. Dish500 gets the core channels from 119° and 110°. International channels and extra locals have come from satellites at 61.5° and 148° though that is changing. Those slots over the Atlantic and Pacific are referred to as "wings." They are too far off to the side to be practically received on the same dish as as 119° and 110° so a wing dish is needed. The original 18" round dish (now Dish300) is suitable though you can also use a Dish500 with just 1 LNB attached.

so you're saying that the 522 will work with the "legacy" quad??

and that's all I'll need (plus some RG6), no adapters, no switches, no separators???

all three receivers, "2-birds", no problems???

pamccrac said:
so you're saying that the 522 will work with the "legacy" quad??

and that's all I'll need (plus some RG6), no adapters, no switches, no separators???

all three receivers, "2-birds", no problems???

Absolutely correct!
Sounds too simple, HUH? But, it's true!

Schematic for use of DP34 Switch?

To Dish or not to dish that is the question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts