3 LNBs, 2 Lines, 3 Receivers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tomfin2000

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Hi Everyone,

I tried to hook up a third Directv receiver today and I'm running into some problems.

I have a 3 LNB oval dish with two lines. I had two Directv receivers connected, one to each line, using diplexers. I receive the main Directv programming from one satellite and local channels from another. (I believe the third is for HD programming which I don't receive.)

I tried to hook up a third receiver today using a 3x multiswich and now two of the receivers can't receive the local channels. The receiver that can is missing other channels.

The answer seems to be that I need to run two more cables from the 3 LNB dish into a 4x, 5x, or 6x multiswitch so that each receiver can switch between the two satellites.

What I don't get is why was the 3 LNB/2 line setup working with the diplexers? Is it because I only had two receivers connected?

I know this has probably been discussed several times, but after an hour reseraching the net (and pouring through FAQs), I'm still not able to put all the pieces together.

Any insight you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

You need all 4 from dish to (at least) a 4x multiswitch, you need this because the 4x switch needs to control all switching between the LNBs, the reason it probably seemed to work before is because you had two lines for 2 receivers, which means that there was little or no contention for the control of the LNBs, with 3 or more, there is going to be more contention more often. Remember this is not a splitter, this is a multiswitch, very different.

Only if you need more than 4 tuners driven, would you need a 4x switch, i.e. if you need 8 tuners connected, you'll need a 4x8 (not including stuff for the OTA).

If you only have 3 receivers total, and you have the phase3 dish, then you do not even need the multiswitch for 4 or less tuners, just hook one line from dish to each receiver, leaving out the 3:mad:4x) totally.

See this:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=52623
(was this you too?)

Last edited:
Is your 3 LNBF dish a Phase 3 (are the 3 LNBF's intigrated, or are they seperate?)
If your antenna is a Phase 3 (intigrated), run another line direct from the antenna to the 3rd receiver. If your antenna has individual LNBF's, then you will need (and should already have) a multi sat multiswitch, and you will need to run an additional line from the multiswitch to your 3rd receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

I am just as confused as hell

Missing satellite signals 99 & 103 and Ironwood

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)