2024-2025 NCAA Football Thread

While Sluka was promised a $100,000 NIL deal from coaches, according to Cromartie, the collective made no such agreement, said Rob Sine, CEO of Blueprint Sports, which operates UNLV's collective. The collective made a one-time payment of $3,000 to Sluka.

With a year of eligibility left and not having used his redshirt, Sluka decided that, without payment, he would not play.

“If Matt didn’t have another year of eligibility, he would have stayed,” Cromartie said.

What I don't get is the money went unpaid... shouldn't that involve a lawyer or is that too much money? If UNLV was to pay him $100k, wasn't there paperwork involved? Might not be a bad idea to make single player NIL deals out of bounds for red-shirts.

And am I the only one surprised that UNLV would pay someone to be the QB? It is UNLV. Before their current coach (9-5), their last winning record head coach was back in the late 70s! Their win percentage since '81 is about 0.300.

And am I the only one surprised that UNLV would pay someone to be the QB? It is UNLV. Before their current coach (9-5), their last winning record head coach was back in the late 70s! Their win percentage since '81 is about 0.300.
Thats probably why they would pay someone.

It seemed to be working to this point (except for the not actually paying part), as they are ranked and having the best (very early) start they have had in some time.

Reactions: osu1991
Do you blame him? Its his last year of eligibility, leaving now does save him a year somewhere else if he decides to do that. If he were to play another game he would lose his possibility of using a redshirt season.

Lets face it, college football is a job now, especially at the QB position. If a competing company hired you away from your employer with the promise of a $200,000 salary, and upon arriving were only paying you $75,000, you would leave as well. Anyone would. (the numbers used here or examples only).

Now all of what I posted above is going off of what HE said. There obviously may be more to the situation.
they need an union and the same rights that any other worker gets.

• Love
Reactions: AZ.
It's the wild west period for NIL, just a story showing that you need this stuff in writing, verbal commitments only go so far if they can only be said and not written. Otherwise this may be the result.

Not as big of a deal as many are making it out to be IMO, just the first to do it is all.

It's the wild west period for NIL, just a story showing that you need this stuff in writing, verbal commitments only go so far if they can only be said and not written. Otherwise this may be the result.

Not as big of a deal as many are making it out to be IMO, just the first to do it is all.
That we've heard of ... so far.

Do these kids realize they have to pay TAXES on this money every year while they are collecting ???

I'm not too worried about their finances, I'm sure they've got people to help them figure this out. The kid changes agents or something after he transferred too, may have been a factor also.

The IRS still wants it accounted for.

He's alluding to tips potentially no longer being taxed, political campaign promises.

Pretty sure this income is not classified as such.

Vegas, the sports town?