129 Options

JAG72

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
Earth
I am trying to figure out what will be my best option to pick up 129 better. The past two Wednesdays we have had some pretty good storms come through and of course I lost my locals due to the weather. I was thinking of getting a Dish 500 to help with this issue but I have also heard of using a FTA dish to help get a better signal. Both options end up being around the same costs so I was leaning toward using the FTA dish since it would be able to be reused IF the issue with 129 is ever addressed. Please let me know your thoughts on both options.

P.S. - If their is anybody in the central Ohio area that is wanting to get rid of a dish please PM me.

Another option...if you can afford/find it...is to get a superdish 105. Columbus locals are still being simulcast on the 105. It's a slightly larger dish as well. The only b***h I have with them is that they are a royal pain to aim.

I am using a 76cm channelmaster dish (It is a globecast branded dish) for 129 and it works very well for me. We had a decent set of storms and rain come through the other day and I did not loose any signal.

The problem that I have with the superdish is that I would still need another dish to pick up 129 or 61.5 for HD.

I've been using a 30 inch (76cm) dish for several months and it's great. It was $50 plus $50 shipping to Seattle from Arkansas. Your shipping should be cheaper to Ohio. I just moved my 129 LNB from my dish 1000.

It's somewhat more sensitive to aiming than the Dish 1000 or smaller, so you need to spend a few extra minutes getting your signal exactly peaked.

I got it from http://www.daveswebshop.com/76dss_dish.shtml

There are other recent 129 threads... I posted to at least one of them... :rolleyes:
Snoop around and see the discussions.
Basically, bigger is better is still the rule.
FTA dishes were discussed, and someone brought up reusing other surplus dishes they might have around.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I think that I will go down the FTA dish route to get a better signal.

JAG72 said:
Thanks for the responses. I think that I will go down the FTA dish route to get a better signal.

If you are in Ohio I would recommend getting your dish from one of our sponsers.
Sadoun!

Sadoun is located in Hilliard, Ohio

I don't know exactly where you are, but it might be worth it to place and order, and drive to his store to pickup the dish instead of having to pay for shipping.

You can get a 31" (80cm) dish for $45 from Sadoun.

It woud be easier to set up, and less trouble to aim, if you use the 30" just for 129.
A Dish 500 should be sufficient for 110/119.
If you have such bad weather that 110/119 drop out, then that's a whole 'nother discussion. :)

As for Sadoun, I'll recommend them, too.
I've ordered several items from them and got along well with their customer support folks.
Just make sure you can get a dish that takes the D-mount DISH(pro) LNB.

Hmmm I will have to look at my FTA dish and see if the 129 LNB will fit. Then hook up my old 500 dish for the 110 and 119. Ahh another project. Now does the 119 lnb run to the 110/119 lnb to be switched? Havent peaked at mine yet.

RVD420 said:
If you are in Ohio I would recommend getting your dish from one of our sponsers.
Sadoun!

Sadoun is located in Hilliard, Ohio

I don't know exactly where you are, but it might be worth it to place and order, and drive to his store to pickup the dish instead of having to pay for shipping.

You can get a 31" (80cm) dish for $45 from Sadoun.

That is who I was going to purchase from. I am only about 15min from their store.

Anole said:
It woud be easier to set up, and less trouble to aim, if you use the 30" just for 129.
A Dish 500 should be sufficient for 110/119.
If you have such bad weather that 110/119 drop out, then that's a whole 'nother discussion. :)

As for Sadoun, I'll recommend them, too.
I've ordered several items from them and got along well with their customer support folks.
Just make sure you can get a dish that takes the D-mount DISH(pro) LNB.

110/119 are not a problem for me. I plan on using my Dish 1000 and just unhooking the cable from the 129 LNB and then adding the second dish for the 129 sat.

keep us informed

DirtyTurbin might have a little more work, but it sounds like Jag72 is taking the easy road.
Hope you both log some 129 signal readings now, and after the upgrade, and come back here and post them.
Should give others some benchmarks to go by.

Having trouble understanding E* cust. Serv.

Install Dish 1000 for one 311 receiver

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)