1/11 Retailer Chat Recap

Scott Greczkowski said:
Effective February 1st they will only activate HD channels on MPEG4 receivers. I can see some problems with this!

Please tell me this means only new HD channels and not existing HD channels. This can't possibly mean that we go without any HD from Feb 1 until whatever time we get our new receiver (for a 622 sometime after April Fools day).

Perhaps there's room for benefit of the doubt there. Maybe they just can't handle the volume of all users switching out all boxes. Once the supply is sufficient maybe they'll open up the upgrade deal for the rest.
This is my feeling what is going on. I know for a fact on February 1st there won't be more then a handfull of 622's available.

I hate to see anyone jump the gun on impulse before all the confetti has hit the ground. But why would anyone jump ship for less before the actual roll- out. In my opinion if you take a deep breath and way out all of the options E* is still the best choice. It is easy to get whipped up into a frenzey over all the hype( Or lack there of) in the beginning. Just read between the lines and look at the big picture before you jump ship and get pissed when you realize your getting less somewhere else and are locked into another contract and cant get out.

BFG said:
They didn't
I just went over all this with a local retailer and he said all of the following.

1. We were told to dump all our old equipment by Jan, 31st or they would be stuck with it. (Confirms all new subs will get MPEG4 receivers)

2. Upgrade for 811 you will not need to turn your box in.

3. Upgrade for 921 & 942, you will need to send in your receiver but only one per offer with a 1 year commitment.

I personally like item one, Screw your customers.

ptech said:
I just went over all this with a local retailer and he said all of the following.
1. We were told to dump all our old equipment by Jan, 31st or they would be stuck with it. (Confirms all new subs will get MPEG4 receivers)
3. Upgrade for 921 & 942, you will need to send in your receiver but only one per offer with a 1 year commitment.
All old equipment, or all old HD equipment? I know there was advance notice about the MPEG-2 HD receivers, but that was never extended to the SD stuff.

ptech said:

#1 is true.

#2 and #3 are not, I never heard this mentioned on todays retailer chat.

mdonnelly said:
All old equipment, or all old HD equipment? I know there was advance notice about the MPEG-2 HD receivers, but that was never extended to the SD stuff.
He said and I quote "we were told to dump all of our old equipment" I took it as ALL old equipment.

Hey Scott. Earlier you mentioned about dumping all of the Sirius products. Are we to assume that the partnership is going to end and we won't have the Sirius stations through our Dish?

Scott Greczkowski said:
no commitment mentioned only requirement was they must subscribe to the HD package (and remain subscribed to the HD package)

So if I only subscribe to the HD package I can get my 811 upgraded to the 211 or 411?

Hey Scott, Perhaps you could find out for Charlie's red-headed step-children who happen to live in Alaska and like HD what solution he has for us. According to my receiver 129 is not an option, AZ and El blanked out on the Peak Angles screen. 148 has a great AZ and El but have heard nothing about HD being duplicated on that bird. Perhaps the new E10? but not counting on it. Adding another antenna isn't really a problem to go along with the 6' for 110 and the 30" for 119. No free dishes here or cheap service calls.

Thanks for a really great site and your reporting from CES.

Scott Greczkowski said:
To upgrade to the 211 a customer may cost $49, $78, or $98 depending on how Dish rates you.

They are looking into a way to send customers the equipment if they dont want an installer coming to their house.

All HD upgrades require the customer to subscribe and keep the HD programming.

In addition remember the 622 rebate starts on April 1st, if you are installed on March 31st it is not eligible for the rebate.

That's contrary to what I was told today in response to my "ceo" email. edit: the rebate part.

Scott Greczkowski said:
ExpressVu is a DBS service in Canada which uses the same equipment that Dish Network does.
If Dish took back the 942's and 921's they could change the nameplate to say ExpressVU then send them up to Canada where I am sure ExpressVu would gladly pay $250 each for them to resell them for $499 - $699!
Doing things this way it would actually cost Dish next to nothing to do these MPEG4 upgrades. :)
So, now my option is to turn in my $600 receiver that I purchased (they would not allow me to lease) 4 months ago, lease a 622 for $99, and they will sell my receiver to another country. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH:eek: :eek:
Thanks for the clarification...

Scott Greczkowski said:
Good question, if a customer subscribes to HD locals will they still get the SD locals as well, the answer is YES they will get whatever locals are available to them. In fact if the customer has a mpeg4 receiver and HD locals are in their area they willl get them automatically and for no extra charge.
I might be wrong but I believe if you qualify and want HD Locals and your provider offers analog LiLs, you must sub to them under the SHVERA.

cebbigh said:
Please tell me this means only new HD channels and not existing HD channels. This can't possibly mean that we go without any HD from Feb 1 until whatever time we get our new receiver (for a 622 sometime after April Fools day).
During the "Charlie Chat" I remember Charlie saying that current HD customers would continue receiving the current HD channels and I think he said that the charge would remain the same until we got the MPEG4 receivers. I don't recall hearing any ending date on this, but to me it would be logical that Dish would continue broadcasting at least the old HD package to existing customers in MPG2 until they are ready to upgrade their entire system to MPEG4.
But again, this would be "logical" to me and I haven't seen much logic in their transition and customer retention plans so far:(

KenSoren said:
During the "Charlie Chat" I remember Charlie saying that current HD customers would continue receiving the current HD channels and I think he said that the charge would remain the same until we got the MPEG4 receivers. I don't recall hearing any ending date on this, but to me it would be logical that Dish would continue broadcasting at least the old HD package to existing customers in MPG2 until they are ready to upgrade their entire system to MPEG4.
But again, this would be "logical" to me and I haven't seen much logic in their transition and customer retention plans so far:(

That's what I heard too. And I wouldn't even ask clarification, thinking that it doesn't make sense ... but very little that Dish is doing makes sense to me now.

I'm confused about the new requirements for DISH HD.
I currently subscribe to Dish Latino Dos and the HD pack + VOOM.
Are you saying that come Feb. 1st I'll HAVE to subscribe to a different pack just so I can still get HD? I dont want any of the americas top ### packages, just Spanish and HD! :confused:

Just got hosed by DISH!!! Sorta...

Re-aligning Dish 500

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)