The Solid Signal Blog

Get the latest on the world of Technology from our friends at SolidSignal.COM
The big news for DIRECTV’s commercial customers is the H26K receiver. This is the first DIRECTV box designed from the ground up especially for commercial use. It’s also the first standalone receiver to do 4K. Naturally, it’s flying off the shelves at Solid Signal, especially since you can’t get it from DIRECTV call centers. But of course, the questions have been coming from every side and one of the most common concerns 4K HDR programming. I’ll answer the question at the top of this article, but first I want to go back and explain why this is even “a thing.” What is 4K HDR? A lot of customers are saying they want 4K HDR because they think it’s the latest, therefore they must have it. I agree that it’s a great thing to have, and here’s...
Yes they are, and we tell you why. Listen to the Solid Signal Podcast! When you’re ready to go back to satellite TV (and you should be ready after listening to this podcast) call us at 888-233-7563. Listen to the podcast your way! Just choose one of the following: Option 1: Click on the image above to stream the podcast in your browser. If you use the YouTube player above, be sure to subscribe to get future videos delivered to you! Option 2: The Solid Signal Podcast is available on several podcast aggregators. Search for us, or tap on the links below on your mobile device. If you want us to add another aggregator leave a comment below. Amazon iTunes Google Podcasts Overcast TuneIn Spreaker Player.fm Spotify Option 3: Download the...
At one time, DIRECTV used seven satellite locations for US HD programming. DISH, until very recently, used two different sets of three. A lot of satellite locations means that satellite dishes need to be custom-designed. In some cases, like for example international programming, satellite TV subscribers have needed two dishes on the roof to get everything. It’s a lot simpler now, but why does it have to be this way at all? Trying to make sense of it all Here’s the thinking. A satellite is just about the size of a car give or take. An orbital “slot” like the 101 degree spot where DIRECTV has its satellites is about 420 miles wide. You’d think that they could put a lot of satellites in that 420 miles, right? Well right but… There are...
I’ve enjoyed using the Tailgater Pro from KING when I’m out and about. Watching TV on my phone never feels quite right. The little screen isn’t comfortable for my eyes. But, with the Tailgater and a Wally satellite receiver, I get real actual TV when I’m out. Setting up the Tailgater couldn’t be easier. Set it down on a level surface with a decent view of the southern sky, connect it to your Wally, and wait. In about 5 minutes you’ll be watching live TV. Marine users can choose from a variety of satellite dishes like the Intellian i3. This system permanently mounts on your boat and gives you real satellite TV even when the boat is in motion. It’s a great way to spend a quiet evening when you’re getting away from it all. Where did my...
DIRECTV’s commercial customers are going absolutely gaga over the new H26K Commercial receiver. It’s the smallest standalone receiver in DIRECTV history, and it’s chock full of little thoughtful touches that will make commercial installers happy. This is the company’s first commercial-only receiver, and it does things no standalone receiver ever has before. It’s the only standalone box from DIRECTV that gets 4K satellite broadcasts, it’s the fastest DIRECTV receiver yet, and it is the easiest to mount, thanks to built-in options like keyhole slots and holes for zip ties. It even has a nice wide surface for industrial hook-and-loop tape. It sounds great. So when can you get yours? If you’re a residential customer, you can’t. The H26K...
You might have seen the above message pop up on screen if you have a DISH Hopper or Wally. It might seem pretty scary, which is why you did an internet search and found this article. Don’t worry, nothing is wrong. This is something completely normal. When you’re likely to see this message Most people who see this message are using the Western Arc satellites. DISH customers throughout the Midwest and West point their dishes at satellites which are roughly aligned with the southwest US. Until very recently, DISH broadcast from three locations, at roughly 110, 119, and 129 west longitude. The company recently moved all programming off the 129 satellite location and there are now no DISH broadcasts there. You’ll see a message like this...
That’s right Solid Signal fans, our offices are closed today. Our techs are home with their families, our warehouse staff is having a barbecue and as for me, your humble blogger, I’m working… as little as possible. The life of a blogger is a little different from the life of other folks. I’m here to serve you during some weird times of the day, week, month and year. Here’s what you need to know: You can still shop at Solid Signal today. Of course, our computerized ordering systems are still up and working hard, but no orders will ship today. As soon as our hard-working staff gets in on Tuesday morning we’ll process all the orders from the long weekend and we’ll get your order out to you as quickly as we can. In the meantime, enjoy...
Everyone knows that cables are made of copper. But why? Is copper so magical? Does it have some sort of magical properties? It doesn’t. It’s not even really the best material for cables, but it does strike the best compromise. There are a lot of things you could make cables out of, but they’d be too brittle, too expensive, too flimsy, or have some other flaw that would make them a bad choice. The real key thing about cables The most important thing a cable MUST do is conduct electricity. The signals that come through your cables are electrical, plain and simple. Copper conducts electricity, and it does it pretty well. It’s also easy to form and relatively cheap. Yes, it’s true that you hear about people stealing copper wire and...
DIRECTV’s dishes are the same whether you’re feeding a home or a high-rise. One dish can serve hundreds of apartments or hotel rooms, even though there are only six wires that come out of it. It may seem like magic but it’s simple science. Here’s how it’s all done There are two bits of technology that make this all possible. DIRECTV has three primary satellite locations. Some have more than one satellite. The problem is that your dish doesn’t really know that. It’s looking for signals based on where they are in space and the frequencies they occupy. There’s also a third criterion called “polarity” which (to make this really simple) explains how the signals “look” in 3 dimensions. A radio signal is really a sine wave but it can be...
If you’re like a lot of people, you’re vaguely aware of SiriusXM. Maybe you got a free trial when you bought a new car. You might have kept it because you liked the great content, or you might have let the trial lapse for whatever reason. It’s time to take another look at SiriusXM. It’s a lot more than you realize. It starts with great content. Yes, SiriusXM has great content. Lots and lots of it. You’ll find curated channels for your favorite decade, international hits, and music for every taste. You’ll also find the most interesting talk, including topics you’d never find on broadcast radio. SiriusXM has a little something for everyone, they say. I think it has a lot of something for everyone. Hardware. Everywhere. SiriusXM...
We tend not to think about who owns the TV channels in our area. I think most of us have a vague feeling from when we were kids that it’s some sort of local rich person. I remember when I lived in a very small TV market back in the 1990s, one of the station owners used to literally call the station and have them put something else on if they didn’t like what they were watching. Most of us probably assume it’s still like that. Except it’s not. As many folks who have DIRECTV found out painfully, a few large companies own more than one-third of all TV stations. The largest, Nexstar Media Group, has a habit of trying to push pay-TV companies around. But that’s a story for another article. In fact I’ve already written it and you can read...
The Solid Signal Blog is your resource for thousands of articles and reviews, with new content coming every day. 2023 marks our seventeeth year since our humble beginnings, and today over 250,000 people read the blog every month. Every month, the staff gets together and gathers articles that really seem like they have long-term appeal. Here’s the list for February, 2023: Should you worry about your satellite receiver overheating? Does a TV Antenna amplifier really matter? Why is it so hard to find RG11 cable with solid copper? Is it time to get rid of channel numbers? A genuine Televes antenna for the price of a knockoff? Will a cell booster overload and destroy your phone? Should you get a wireless DIRECTV box or use the app? Should...
In an increasingly digital world, reliable and robust connectivity is a non-negotiable requirement for businesses across industries. From communication and data sharing to customer interactions and remote work, a strong signal is the backbone that supports modern business operations. As businesses continue to rely on seamless communication, the demand for signal boosters and solutions has risen to the forefront, transforming industries and driving efficiency to new heights. The Evolution of Connectivity Solutions Signal boosters and solutions have come a long way since their inception. Originally designed to address weak or inconsistent cellular signals, these technologies have evolved into sophisticated systems that not only enhance...
Often times, I get ideas for articles like these from actual customers. I figure if one person has a question and called us to find the answer, chances are a lot of other people do too. This article is based on a conversation I had with a customer not long ago. Here’s how it went down I was talking to someone who hadn’t bought from us before. This guy says he wants to know the right ground strap for a chimney cap. The question went to me because the person who took it initially didn’t know what a chimney cap was. For those who live in wetter parts of the nation, a chimney cap is a metal cover used on the top of a chimney that stops embers from leaving the chimney. You tend not to see them in wetter, northerly climates because snow...