The Solid Signal Blog

Get the latest on the world of Technology from our friends at SolidSignal.COM
As a satellite installer, is activating your clients’ accounts the longest part of your day? Signal Connect saves you time by activating your clients’ accounts hassle free! DIRECTV activations can be the most frustrating part of an installer’s day. You routinely are put on hold and/or transferred around the company’s busy call center. It can be the same with DISH. You can end up spending an hour or more trying to get your client’s account activated. Fortunately, Signal Connect has a way to shortcut the system, so to speak. We’ll get your clients’ satellite TV accounts activated quickly, sometimes in as little as 10 minutes. We can do this because of our long-standing relationships with DIRECTV and DISH. By taking this off your...
It just may be possible. If you have an old AT&T TV device, also called an Osprey device or C71KW device, you may be able to use it as a Genie client. I had been told that it wasn’t possible for regular users to do it, but folks on the DIRECTV Community Forums, DBSTalk, and SatelliteGuys have posted instructions. What’s this all about? The device at the top is DIRECTV’s C71KW. It was originally designed to run the service known as AT&T TV at the time. (That service was later changed to be called DIRECTV for Internet.) The same hardware was then reconfigured to be used for DIRECTV Satellite, with it being called Gemini for Satellite. The only difference between the streaming and satellite versions of this device are the app that is...
October 18-24, 1997 This week Ken welcomes author Mark Guyer. Mark and Ken discuss living in upstate/Central New York, how New York State isn’t New York City, Halloween viewing, Nostalgiamares Series, Phantom Delivery, classic youth horror books, Fear Street, having your own TV, being a tween, not remembering your childhood Halloween costumes, how dressing as Darth Vader can help with bullying, Due South, Burgess Meredith, Nothing Sacred, Hot Priests, Gene Siskel so Horny, what Siskel did to Betsey Palmer, how awful Saturday Night Fever is, Guides to Halloween episodes, Blackula, Gregory Hines Show, The Night Stalker, Nosferatu, ABC Sitcoms, anti-Trick or Treating, how 21st Century Kids don’t get to truly enjoy Halloween, how the...
Are you a new owner of a recreational vehicle who wants to stay safe on the road? It’s best to follow these 10 driving tips for RVs, campers, and motorhomes. Are you used to driving the average four-door sedan? If so, you’re in for a few surprises when you get behind the wheel of a 30,000+ pound RV. Driving recreational vehicles is very different than driving your car, SUV, or truck. These vehicles are so large and heavy that you have to develop an addition skill set to make turns, stop, park, and more. How have you prepared for the responsibility of piloting these gigantic vehicles? To help you stay safe on the road, we’ve curated these 10 RV driving tips. Here are 10 safety tips for driving your RV, camper, or motorhome: Adjust...
There’s a reason you bought into a popular fast food franchise system. You wanted a proven business model and the corporation’s name brand recognition. Names such as McDonald’s and Burger King are more recognizable to consumers than “Bob’s Burger Bungalow,” for example. While being part of a national franchise offers distinct advantages, you still have to work hard to be successful. To help you make the most of this opportunity, Signal Connect shares these business tips for fast food franchise owners: Research Fast Food Marketing Strategies Does it feel like your marketing is in a slump? It’s time to explore your franchise’s marketing strategies. Your corporation probably has a variety of promotions to help franchisees. Don’t...
It’s time to hear the most common questions we get and for you to get the answers you need! Want to know more? Call us at 888-233-7563 to reach our 100% US-based tech center. Listen to the podcast your way! Just choose one of the following: Option 1: Click on the image above to stream the podcast in your browser. If you use the YouTube player above, be sure to subscribe to get future videos delivered to you! Option 2: The Solid Signal Podcast is available on several podcast aggregators. Search for us, or tap on the links below on your mobile device. If you want us to add another aggregator leave a comment below. Amazon iTunes Overcast TuneIn Spreaker Player.fm Spotify Option 3: Download the podcast in MP3 format. Option 4: Paste the...
It seems that DIRECTV’s Genie Mini Clients are a little more strict when it comes to enforcing HD Content protection than its DVRs are. The new Gemini devices are even more strict. I found this out when I recently upgraded the equipment in a spare room. I powered up, then turned on the TV in the spare room, which is connected via HDMI using a long cable. That worked fine. However, I had the other TV connected via component. This is a setup I’ve had for a while. No I don’t recommend doing it that way anymore. But, I generally feel like you shouldn’t try to fix what isn’t broken. I’m not the only one who does it that way. That’s how I, like many other people, run more than one TV from the same DIRECTV box. It helps save on mirroring fees...
What you see above you is a typical home satellite antenna. If you’re in the US, you’re going to get one of these oval-shaped ones no matter what service you subscribe to. But what if someone just happens to roll up with four or five round dishes and gives them to you for free? Can you use them? The answer depends on which satellite service you have. This article will specifically deal with US satellite TV, but if you have satellite in Canada, just think the word “Shaw” whenever you see the word DISH (the company, not the part. I know it’s confusing.) Why dishes are oval It may not make sense why satellite dishes are oval. After all, you would think they would be round. In other parts of the world, they are. The oval dish is really...
It seems like about once a day that our customer service team fields a question about programming the Gemini Air remote. People really love this device because it gives you live TV, streaming apps, and most of all a remote that feels comfortable to use. Simplified remotes are all the rage among streaming devices, but there are still a lot of folks who like a remote with buttons they can understand. The Gemini Air has buttons like GUIDE and LIST that just make sense. Most people who use a Gemini Air will hook it up to the TV, and that’s that. They’re not likely to have fancy audio systems. But for those folks who do… I have great news. It is possible to program your Gemini remote to control your audio system. There are some things you...
The world of streaming video is in free fall right now. There’s just no sugar coating it, folks. It costs more than ever to get popular shows on streaming, and it seems like there are fewer and fewer popular shows. All that would be frustrating enough, but recent price increases just don’t seem to be enough for the companies that run those apps. Take a look at this Disney raised their prices about 50% this year, depending on which bundle you have.. There’s some indication, too, that Disney will shutter Hulu and move all its content to Disney+ so essentially you’d get that bundle whether you like it or not. Not only that, Amazon announced that in 2024, they would begin putting commercials into Prime Video unless you chose to pay $3.99...
Folks, this may be one short article. But I do want Google to pay attention to it so there’s a good possibility that I’ll pad it out a little bit. The extra storytelling will look good to Google’s bots and hey, you might just learn something. The DIRECTV for Business app If you have more than one DIRECTV box and you have a tablet, you’re going to want to get this free app. You can get it on the Apple App store and the Google Play store. It works whether you have residential service or commercial service. If you can log into your account at DIRECTV.com, it will work for you. (Note: commercial customers need to set up access on DIRECTV.com. It’s a little different getting it done. Call us at 888-233-7563 and we’ll explain.) Here’s why...
In the twenty-first century, we expect things to work. It can be frustrating when you press the GUIDE button on your DIRECTV receiver or DVR and see nothing but “Regular Schedule.” It’s even more frustrating if you see a message saying that your receiver hasn’t gotten any guide data and needs to reboot. Here’s the first thing to try. Before you do anything, press the red reset button on the DVR. It may be very obvious on the side or back, or it may be hidden behind a spring loaded door on the front. Note that you’re looking for the reset button on the DVR or receiver. Doing this procedure on the Genie clients or on the Gemini won’t help. On older devices, you’ll find the red button behind a door like you see below. On a Genie 2...
Are hotel renovations something you’ve been thinking about lately? Unless your property is brand new, you’re probably considering hotel renovations and maintenance. Remember, it doesn’t take long for designs to become outdated. To help hotel owners, Signal Connect offers seven helpful hotel renovation ideas. The suggestions presented here can help make your hotel more modern, safe, and attractive. The result is that these renovations ideas will make your motel or hotel more profitable. That’s something that every motel owner and hotel owner wants. To get you thinking about the renovation possibilities of your business, here are seven hotel renovation ideas: Technology Renovations for Hotels Hotel owners, nearly every one of your...
Boat owners, do you know how far offshore you can get satellite TV reception? Maybe you don’t think it’s very far, and that’s what’s kept you from getting DIRECTV for your craft. Well, Signal Connect is here to tell you that those satellite TV signals go out quite a ways offshore, perhaps more than you think. It’s usually enough for most boat owners, crews, and guests to enjoy their favorite programming. Maybe this might change how you view DIRECTV for your luxury craft or working vessel. DIRECTV Satellite Reception To understand why boat owners can get DIRECTV so far from shore requires an understanding of satellite TV transmission. Known as “spot beams,” these satellite signals focus on the areas these transmissions are...