The Solid Signal Blog

Get the latest on the world of Technology from our friends at SolidSignal.COM
A couple of weeks ago, I was talking to a friend about films that haven’t aged well. I was surprised to hear that he’d recently rewatched The Matrix, and felt that it had aged poorly. I remember that I wrote a “Fun Friday” article about that very subject about five years ago, and I thought it would be interesting to talk more about it. Does this film hold up in 2023? OK, having spent a little time with it, I have to agree that it seems dated today. Not because the story is bad or because it doesn’t have great effects for its time. The problem is that The Matrix so redefined the action genre that every film since has copied it in some way. It seems far less amazing and thought-provoking than it did at the time. I’m forced to agree...
In the next year, I expect that you’ll hear a lot about band 71. It’s certainly not something new, but it’s taken a while for the cellular industry to really react to it. In order to understand why we need to talk about band 71, we first need to understand what it is and why it’s a big deal. Band 71 before there was a band 71 Band 71 is the communications industry term for a chunk of the radio frequency spectrum from 617 to 698 megahertz. These frequencies were first allocated for television use way back in 1952. Before that point, television in North America operated only on the VHF band from 44 to 216 megahertz. Even though that gave broadcasters twelve channels, most couldn’t be used in most places. In order to keep channels from...
If you’re a business owner, you know that you’re always trying to do more with less. That’s never been more true than today. You’re getting squeezed from every direction. To make matters worse, it seems like there’s a new article every day about how you need to give your employees more benefits and create a better work environment. Maybe you’re old-school like me. I think work is for working and play time is for playing. That’s not to say work can’t be enjoyable, but we’re all there for a reason. But there are two whole generations behind me that value the work “experience” as much as they value pay or traditional benefits. But you’re not made of money. You can’t give them everything under the sea just to keep them. So what’s the best...
Here’s the scenario. You’re on a mountain, about 6,000 feet up. The towers are in a valley, with an elevation of about 1,000 feet. When you aim your antenna, should you aim it so that it points at the tower? In other words, should the back of the antenna slope down so it’s actually pointing down? Or should you keep it level? Textbook answer The textbook answer is that you should always keep the antenna level. That’s what I’ve been taught and what you find in every tutorial. This has something to do with the horizontal polarization of the signal being sent out. The antenna signal always travels left to right (not up to down) even when you’re below it or above it. However, when I’ve spoken to representatives from Televes, they say that...
DISH satellite TV is a great value for your home, RV, or boat, and now is the perfect time to get started with it. Don’t believe me? Here’s why. The most recording capacity at home With just two DVRs, you can record up to 32 shows at the same time. You can be watching in 14 rooms at the same time. That’s an astounding amount of recording capacity. The most common configuration gives you the ability to record 16 channels at the same time and watch TV in 4 rooms. That’s all in high definition and 4K, and every room gets a voice-capable remote. The best deals DISH has the best deals for folks over 55, for first responders and teachers, and for lots of other groups. You’ll be amazed by how much you get with DISH. They really do...
Take a look at the image above. It’s the Gemini Voice Remote, available now at Solid Signal. It’s the remote you can get to add a second (or third, or fourth) remote to your Gemini and you’ll find it at the best price when you shop with us. But, this remote has generated a surprising amount of controversy, and so I thought I’d take a second to explain what’s going on with it. Yes, it will work with your Gemini. This remote will work perfectly with your Gemini, regardless of when you bought it. It will also work with boxes which you might call: Gemini Osprey C71KW DIRECTV Stream Box AT&T Box Why? Because they’re all the same. If your box looks like this: then the remote is going to work for it. If it has an AT&T logo, the remote...
I’m a big fan of DIRECTV’s compact headends, going back to the original COM1000 system from over a decade ago. It’s just such a brilliant idea, you have to wonder why no one thought of it before. (Or why most companies still don’t do it…. only DISH’s Smartbox is comparable.) DIRECTV partnered with the company making most of its receivers and challenged them to create as much receiver capacity as possible in the smallest space. The current generation COM3000 can supply 134 HD channels in a box that’s roughly the same size as two old-school HR34 DVRs. If you’re having trouble imagining the size, it’s smaller than the microwave in your office breakroom. Yet, it’s capable of replacing two full-height racks full of equipment. There’s no...
This week Ken welcomes podcaster, writer, and world traveler Adrien Behn to the show. Ken and Adrien discuss New York City, growing up in Western MA/NY, people who have never left their hometown, pregnant hippies, life long friends, perusing a life in creative arts, being worldly, having more chickens than neighbors, Lake George, hating touristy spots, teenage identity crisis, doing study abroad programs, Czechs, Prague, Stalin, living in former Soviet Republics, interesting art and beauty, the first place you go to outside of your own country, the film industry in Prague, the “adult” industry in Prague, growing up without cable, Nickelodeon, MTV, binging in college, 9/11, when news takes over all channels, national disasters...
While the capabilities 5G introduces create many exciting opportunities, it also brings several security concerns people should know about. That said, individuals and organizations employing the necessary cybersecurity measures can effectively protect themselves from threat actors. Learn why cellular network protection is essential now, with 5G becoming more widespread. Are 5G Networks Secure? 5G networks are secure, but as with older generations, taking precautions to enhance one’s network security is still necessary. It offers greater safety over older networks such as 4G, but relying on the protocol updates alone is not enough. One way to look at it is that although the network can be highly secure, people must incorporate the...
As cellular devices become more widely used, the need to boost mobile signals continues to grow. Mobile signal boosters are handy devices that help you stay connected even when you have a weak signal. They are used in hospitals, schools, homes, vehicles and businesses. There are many myths floating around the internet about how safe it is to use cellular signal boosters. In this article, we highlight three main reasons why mobile signal boosters are safe. But first: What Is A Mobile Signal Booster? A mobile signal booster is an electronic gadget that amplifies and improves a cellular signal within a vehicle, homestead or building. These boosters can amplify a 5G, 4G LTE, 3G and 2G mobile signal up to 1,000 times. This device enhances...
2024 looks like the best year ever for electronic entertainment. Why is that? Listen to the podcast and find out! If you want the best in customer service with your electronic entertainment, call 888-233-7563 and talk to the folks at Signal Connect. Listen to the podcast your way! Just choose one of the following: Option 1: Click on the image above to stream the podcast in your browser. If you use the YouTube player above, be sure to subscribe to get future videos delivered to you! Option 2: The Solid Signal Podcast is available on several podcast aggregators. Search for us, or tap on the links below on your mobile device. If you want us to add another aggregator leave a comment below. Amazon iTunes Overcast TuneIn Spreaker Player.fm...
Friends, I’ve written about the “right to repair” several times on this blog. Most recently, I dredged up an article from 2018 where I talk about that very issue. I talk about it because I think about it. I think about it because I’ve been using consumer electronics now for about 50 years, that is if you count my Donald Duck record player. And every so often, in the middle of the night, I’m struck with the very real fact that every piece of consumer gear I’ve ever owned is still out there somewhere. Until the mid-2000s it was not only legal but normal to just put old consumer electronics in the trash. Presumably that stuff went to landfills. Because it’s mostly plastic and silicon, it’s still there in largely recognizable form today...
Here’s a question people have been asking since the Genie 2 first came out. I always want to ask back, why would you want to? But, rather than being spiteful, let’s assume there is a good reason and we’ll take it from there. A DIRECTV Genie 2 has two wireless radios. It has a traditional Wi-Fi radio. This connects to your home internet. With Wi-Fi, you download interactive content, get software updates, and use On Demand. There’s also a second radio which is part of a very special wireless network using 802.11ac technology. This wireless network is used for DIRECTV’s wireless Genie mini and Gemini clients. Putting them on their own, private wireless network means you’ll get a better and more consistent connection. You see, Wi-Fi...
You’ve seen these popups on your computer or phone. Your device is asking to know your location. If you see it on your phone, you can probably wrap your head around that. Your phone (and every phone made in the last few years) has a GPS receiver built in. However, your PC does not. So, how can a web page know your location if your computer doesn’t know your location? The answer is fairly simple: your computer does know your location. If you’ve ever doubted that, go to whatismyipaddress.com and you’ll see a map that points exactly where you’re sitting. It’s just a shade creepy. It may seem like magic but there’s a very simple explanation here. Your computer knows where you are because the internet equipment that supplies service to...
This article originally appeared in the weBoost blog. Are you tired of spotty cell phone reception while on the road? Whether you’re embarking on a cross-country road trip, enjoying an off-road adventure, or simply commuting to work, staying connected with solid cell coverage is crucial. That’s where weBoost can help with a vehicle mounted cell phone booster. Featuring state-of-the-art boosters like the Drive Reach Overland, weBoost can help you obtain robust cell signal regardless of your location, from rocky terrains to secluded valleys. In this guide, we’ll walk you through the installation process of your weBoost vehicle mounted cell phone booster, ensuring that you can confidently set up your device and enjoy uninterrupted...