EchoStar/Dish raises doubts about 'ability to continue as a going concern'

lol still have a vip 722 as primary receiver,couple of the 211k's as secondary.My wife loves the 722.They always offer hoppers we always decline.

Two 612's. Since stopping updating them many many years ago they have been very stable. I have mentioned I also have a TIVO now for years for the many locals we get to supplement and this arrangement and cost works out good.

Two 612's. Since stopping updating them many many years ago they have been very stable. I have mentioned I also have a TIVO now for years for the many locals we get to supplement and this arrangement and cost works out good.
I actually have a retired 612 in the closet.But it's always at the ready in case of emergency lol

Dish Network is not going away anytime soon, it still is a viable business on it's own.
But it is not a viable business with just TV, Dish and Sling still lost 1.2 Million subs last year, about 348,000, yes it is still profitable, but that is shrinking, which is the main reasons why they are having so many issues, the profits from TV are no longer enough to support all of the company.
Some capital venture company might end up with it, but it won't just close up shop.
That is not what a venture capitalist does, they buy into a company when it shows the possibility of growth.

The same problem will always exist for Dish, even if it shed the Spectrum and Phone Service, what investor will pour money into a company , that is reporting less and less revenue every quarter due to the loss of subscribers.

For a investor(s) to come in, they need to show, at least, the possibility of growth.

That is why I wish they announced the plan for monetizing the spectrum.
Heck, someone even tried to restart Orby.
That was to turn it into a service for religious channels, I do not believe that worked.

But it is not a viable business with just TV, Dish and Sling still lost 1.2 Million subs last year, about 348,000, yes it is still profitable, but that is shrinking, which is the main reasons why they are having so many issues, the profits from TV are no longer enough to support all of the company.

That is not what a venture capitalist does, they buy into a company when it shows the possibility of growth.

The same problem will always exist for Dish, even if it shed the Spectrum and Phone Service, what investor will pour money into a company , that is reporting less and less revenue every quarter due to the loss of subscribers.

For a investor(s) to come in, they need to show, at least, the possibility of growth.

That is why I wish they announced the plan for monetizing the spectrum.

That was to turn it into a service for religious channels, I do not believe that worked.

If there's cashflow, someone will step in. Maybe Eddie Lampert is looking for another business to finish running into the ground?

They does not guarantee they will be saved.

Toys r Us still had cashflow, look what happened to them (which would have happened anyways after a period of time).

I'm not saying it's a viable business long term, but I think it has a few more years left in it. I'm 50/50 on if they're still around at the end of the decade...but I'm confident they'll be around the next 2-3 years.

They does not guarantee they will be saved.

Toys r Us still had cashflow, look what happened to them (which would have happened anyways after a period of time).
Well, the difference there was the private equity firm smothered the company in debt to buy Toys R Us. Ergen smothered Dish with debt to try and save it.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I could imagine Amazon
No, they are pretty set on streaming.

If a new Live TV streaming service, would be in competition with YTTV, who has a big head start, already has more subscribers then Dish and Sling together.

But if they did do so, means a price war between 2 services where the margins are already quite low.
or perhaps Tesla/SpaceX buying the whole thing.
Musk has shown zero interest in streaming/satellite TV.

If for broadband, I keep reading over and over the spectrum Dish has is just not good enough for 5G Home Internet, maybe someone more knowledgeable can comment.
Both have the financial resources and it would fit in either business plan.
Financial Resources yes, interest in doing so…..nope.

The profits are just not there, specially since the competition from streaming services will still be out there, with the same and more content.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I could imagine Amazon or perhaps Tesla/SpaceX buying the whole thing.
Both have the financial resources and it would fit in either business plan.
I have my doubts about Bezos buying it.He is trying to save every dime he can lately,moved from Seattle to Fla to save 600 mil in taxes,tightened down on return policies,and has even stopped using boxes to ship many packages.Last few items we got here were in the original package with only a shipping label stuck on.Oh and they also started having ads on the prime video.