Your phone is more powerful than the PC you had in 2018. So why can’t you use it as a PC?

There’s an app called Geekbench which works on practically every PC, Mac, and phone. It provides a good apples-to-apples comparison of the basic processor power of pretty much, well, anything.

Here’s what they report:

This is the Geekbench score of the processor in the latest iPhone 15 Pro, according to CPU-monkey.com:

Screenshot-2023-10-26-092928-1024x94.png

Here’s the score of a laptop with an eighth generation Core i5 chip, courtesy of Geekbench.com. This chip was considered an average workhorse for office and productivity tasks in 2018.

Screenshot-2023-10-26-093113.png

With a score of 5868, the iPhone handily beats the laptop with a score of 2963. As I said, there’s a lot more to the speed of a computer than just processor speed but it’s one measurement.

I bring all this up because if you are largely happy with the power of a 5-year-old laptop, and you probably are, then you should be able to use your phone for all the same tasks.

Why aren’t there phone/desktop hybrids?​

Several companies over the years have created phones that fit into a docking station. At that point the idea was to connect a monitor and keyboard and have a full PC. For the most part these have failed because the phone wasn’t capable of running desktop software. But today that’s no excuse. A phone has plenty of power and storage, and you can do a lot just with cloud-based apps. So what’s the excuse?

I would love to have one device that has all my data locally, runs the apps I want to run, and can fit in my pocket. The technology is certainly there to do it. So why isn’t there such a thing?

Well, there kind of is​

If you have a Chromebook or recent iPad, you’re essentially using phone-level hardware and running PC-level apps. Both devices use a combination of cloud apps and local apps to give you a pretty darn powerful experience. I’ve used both for days at a time while my PC was being upgraded or repaired, and it works. The only thing is that neither of these are pocketable. Still, as a combination of tablet and productivity device they aren’t bad.

Microsoft’s own Surface Pro is another combination device that can be easily brought from place to place. It’s a full-fledged PC so you don’t sacrifice anything. But again it doesn’t fit in a pocket.

USB-C is so flexible that it’s not like you would need to add extra hardware to make all of this work. So I guess there’s only one reason why you can’t have a phone that is also your work PC.

Don’t tell me it’s all about power management​

The standard trope here is that PCs have crummy power management so battery life would be terrible on a PC/phone hybrid. Except I don’t buy it. Intel and ARM make really good processors that sip power and run Windows. As I said, the latest iPad already runs on a desktop processor and it gets all-day battery life even with a giant screen. So it isn’t about power management. Maybe it was at one point, but not anymore.

I must be the only one who wants it​

The truth is that it would be so easy to craft a phone that could be used as a laptop, that the only possible answer is that no one really wants it. No one but me, of course. It wouldn’t be hard to create a PC-based phone since Windows 11 can run Android apps, so it could run as an Android phone when you were carrying it and as a PC when you weren’t. It’s even easier in the Apple ecosystem. Apple’s latest laptops can run iOS apps and Apple’s latest iPad runs the iPadOS on a desktop processor. You can’t tell me that Apple couldn’t take the next step if they wanted to.

Wouldn’t you rather buy one device for $1,000 rather than buying two? Wouldn’t it be nice to have it all integrated into one personal device that worked great on the desktop and also in a restaurant? So why can’t we all just get what we want? You tell me. Leave a comment below and explain to me what I’m missing.

The post Your phone is more powerful than the PC you had in 2018. So why can’t you use it as a PC? appeared first on The Solid Signal Blog.

Continue reading...

You're clearly missing the reality of outfitting a tablet with the necessary peripherals and expansions. Yes, it can be done but it isn't economically feasible.

Running Android on a Windows phablet doesn't make it an Android phone with full access to the Google Play store.

Have you tried running Windows 11 on a phone display? Microsoft couldn't make it work.

Cyber Monday begins now at Solid Signal!

DIRECTV Technical Support: Five Easy Fixes Part 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 8)