X-Box, Playstation, and Wii Game News

The following is an excerpt of an article in my local paper today about gift returns the day after Christmas. I feel bad for the two young boys who will miss out on getting what's probably their first major gaming console because their parents had unrealistic expectations that these things are plug and play. Sony, Xbox, and their retailers could prep customers on setting up online profiles beforehand and perhaps even include a preloaded family-friendly game that could be instantly played while other updates and game downloads are happening in the background. The PS4 comes with the Playroom preloaded, but you need a camera to play it.

When Aaron and Katrina Leek realized the Xbox One they bought for their two young sons was overly complicated and underwhelming— or, in Katrina’s words, the “Worst. Christmas. Present. Ever.” — and had to go back to the store, the Tierrasanta couple improvised an elaborate cover-up. “We said, ‘Sorry guys, Santa messed up,’ ” said an admittedly frustrated Katrina Leek, 26, as she stood in the return line at Best Buy in Mission Valley, her arms filled with $800 worth of scorned merchandise — a console, video games and accessories.

“I said I emailed Santa for a gift receipt because if I said I was calling him, they’d say, ‘Let me to talk to Santa!’ So now Santa is treating them to their first shopping spree.”

Beleaguered shoppers throughout San Diego County had varied tales of gifts gone wrong Saturday: wrong size, wrong color or just plain wrong. From hats to sweaters, cameras to that rebuffed Xbox One, what had been wrapped and tied up with a pretty bow the day before went from “Oh, you shouldn’t have” to “Oh, no, you really shouldn’t have.” ...

But there was disappointment to spare at the Leek household on Christmas day. Aaron Leek, 26, went from irked to irate when he saw that the Xbox One required his sons, Garrett, 8, and Junior, 6, to create an online profile with a password. He and his wife also couldn’t get the multiplayer function to work. The last straw was how long the games took to upload.

“This is not family friendly, where we could all sit and play together. It’s a nightmare,” he said.

The kids were a little more charitable, Katrina Leek said. “The little one said, ‘It’s OK, I’m not mad at Santa, I have my squishy pig (toy),’ which later popped and broke. And then there were tears. Lots of tears. It was the final blow to Christmas,” she said through clenched teeth.

“It was like something you’d see in a movie, where Christmas starts up here,” she said, raising her arm above her head, “and then it slowly spirals down into tears.”
B8841053Z.1_20151226175647_000GFK8SO4M.2-0_r900x493.jpg

It really isn't all that complicated. It's an easy to use guided setup. They returned it because they had to make an account with a user name and password? Sorry but just about every electronic device requires that you make an account.

These people are sometimes clueless when it comes to electronics. You always open them up before hand and plug them up and update them or put batteries in them to make sure they work before wrapping them.

None of these "runs" sound like they're fun to pull off properly, whether it's a speed run or one of those "Beat the whole game without doing x" ones. I suppose people like the feeling of setting the record, but to me the point of playing a video game is to have fun, not work. Unless you're getting paid to do this as your job (which the vast majority are not) I don't really see the appeal. I mean it's cool to see when they pull it off, but it definitely isn't worth it. When a game starts feeling more like work, that's when I check out, which is probably why I never got into those "Simulation" games or "Total War" type stuff.

Microsoft said to be considering cheaper 'lightweight Xbox One' to compete against Apple TV

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsof...htweight-xbox-one-to-compete-against-apple-tv

Microsoft is reportedly considering a new addition to its hardware line-up, in the form of a new device that would compete against the Apple TV box.

That information comes via Brad Sams from Petri, citing unnamed "internal sources" at Microsoft, who have told him that the company is "considering plans for a lightweight Xbox One". Rather than simply being a smaller version of its latest console, the new device may be intended to run Windows Store games and apps only, and not full Xbox One titles.

However, the report also states that "it's not clear if these plans have been scrapped", but adds that if the device does come to market, it is unlikely to launch before the second half of 2016, and at a much lower price point than the Xbox One - presumably somewhere in the region of the Apple TV's $149-$199 price range.

If you're getting a sense of déjà vu here, you're not alone. Rumors of an 'Xbox TV' or 'Xbox Mini' have been doing the rounds for several years; most recently, some reports claimed that a device of that ilk would be unveiled at Microsoft's Windows 10 hardware event three months ago, at which it announced its new Band, Lumia and Surface devices. However, Microsoft's Phil Spencer shot down those rumors before the event, declaring them "not real".

Source: Petri

Last edited:
PlayStation Network is down, Sony confirms

http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/04/psn-outage/

It's a rough Monday for Sony, as the PlayStation Network appears to be experiencing widespread issues. Sony acknowledge that it's aware of the problems, which have affected PS4, PS3 and Vita users for pretty much the entire morning. The company's network status tracker also notes that all of PSN's services are having issues. There's no word when service will be restored, but we'd imagine Sony is working feverishly to get things sorted ahead of its CES press conference tomorrow. We've reached out to Sony for additional comment and will update if we hear back.

We're aware that some users are having trouble accessing PSN. Thanks for your patience as we investigate.https://t.co/8hMUSl2cCe

— Ask PlayStation (@AskPlayStation) January 4, 2016

According to a source on 4Chan (not the greatest source I know but they've been right in the past) Ubisoft is going to skip releasing a new AC game in 2016 and will instead release a new game in 2017 that will take place in Egypt. Also, for 2016 there's speculation that Ubisoft may be planning to release an "Assassins Creed Collection" to tide fans over in the meantime. Ubisoft released a standard blanket statement of "We can't comment on rumor or speculation."

http://kotaku.com/sources-next-big-assassins-creed-set-in-egypt-skippin-1750937895

Reactions: Zookster
Makes sense. I've never heard anyone talk about playing Far Cry 3 or 4 for it's multiplayer. They chose to cut multiplayer from Rise of the Tomb Raider after no one played it in the 2013 Reboot as well. I like the fact that publishers of AAA games are starting to realize they don't need to try to force multiplayer into every game.

Yeah, only took them about 5 years after everyone else came to that conclusion. I guess better late than never.

Playstation Classic Game Console w/Enhancements

PSN Network ID

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)