Winegard Pre amp question

Well. You're definitely in the right place to ask. But an open mind is important. The right questions get good answers. And so far, so good.
Why a crimp tool and connectors versus the screw on type? Weather intrusion resistance. I actually put a little dab of silicone sealant on my outdoor coax connections. On the outer jacket right before it's thoroughly pressed in the connector and crimped.
Also no matter what. Screw ons rely upon you being able to fold a touch of the braid over the jacket to assure a good electrical connection. Aluminum braid is not tolerant and will break off and even possibly a strand will short to the center conductor. So, always check that. Crimp or no crimp.
There are many guides on how to properly prepare cable for crimping. You don't have to do the actual crimp to practice and get good. But you do need to make sure that the center insulation is trimmed to proper length. Yeah. Another tool for that. I don't need one.
Oh. If you're "one of those" you can most certainly get a crimper for a one shot job from HD, Lowes. And return it and say it didn't work. Where's the fun in that? If a guy can drop a DeWalt in a paint bucket and return it. Yeahhh......
But seriously. The amplifier should be as close to the actual antenna as possible. It's just the manufacturers rule.
And sensible to assure the strongest signal to be amplified is not attenuated by so many feet of cable.
A ladder climber and a cable crimp capable person kinda' narrows down skillsets. And the ability to tighten two nuts on an amp way up there. I ain't skeered. My buddy who worked inspecting petroleum refinery towers couldn't get 2 rungs up a ladder to help me put insulating board up in my garage/man cave. Without shaking like a dog in a thunder and lightning storm. I don't know, he might have even peed hos pants a little. I didn't look.
And heck no. I didn't know if you're a gal, a guy, or as is the case these days. Just can't make up your mind or made the wrong decision because....what the heck's a mirror. All I know is hanging around bikers for years and meeting not-biker chicks. Well. Kind of tones my personna down a few notches.
Now, gitcha' rear end in the kitchen and make me them there brownies! Lol. And not the California kind. I gotta' drive.

Well. You're definitely in the right place to ask. But an open mind is important. The right questions get good answers. And so far, so good.
Why a crimp tool and connectors versus the screw on type? Weather intrusion resistance. I actually put a little dab of silicone sealant on my outdoor coax connections. On the outer jacket right before it's thoroughly pressed in the connector and crimped.
Also no matter what. Screw ons rely upon you being able to fold a touch of the braid over the jacket to assure a good electrical connection. Aluminum braid is not tolerant and will break off and even possibly a strand will short to the center conductor. So, always check that. Crimp or no crimp.
There are many guides on how to properly prepare cable for crimping. You don't have to do the actual crimp to practice and get good. But you do need to make sure that the center insulation is trimmed to proper length. Yeah. Another tool for that. I don't need one.
Oh. If you're "one of those" you can most certainly get a crimper for a one shot job from HD, Lowes. And return it and say it didn't work. Where's the fun in that? If a guy can drop a DeWalt in a paint bucket and return it. Yeahhh......
But seriously. The amplifier should be as close to the actual antenna as possible. It's just the manufacturers rule.
And sensible to assure the strongest signal to be amplified is not attenuated by so many feet of cable.
A ladder climber and a cable crimp capable person kinda' narrows down skillsets. And the ability to tighten two nuts on an amp way up there. I ain't skeered. My buddy who worked inspecting petroleum refinery towers couldn't get 2 rungs up a ladder to help me put insulating board up in my garage/man cave. Without shaking like a dog in a thunder and lightning storm. I don't know, he might have even peed hos pants a little. I didn't look.
And heck no. I didn't know if you're a gal, a guy, or as is the case these days. Just can't make up your mind or made the wrong decision because....what the heck's a mirror. All I know is hanging around bikers for years and meeting not-biker chicks. Well. Kind of tones my personna down a few notches.
Now, gitcha' rear end in the kitchen and make me them there brownies! Lol. And not the California kind. I gotta' drive.

"Now, gitcha' rear end in the kitchen and make me them there brownies! Lol. --- hahaha ! " When you first mentioned brownies, I nearly said "do you think all women bake?!?!" Most guys will not turn down pie. Diabetics are about the only guys I know who still eat sweets. I would gladly pay a professional to climb if I could find one. You also need really tall ladders. I come from a family of climbers so I was very surprised to find out so many dudes were afraid of heights. Thanks for all the info . I know where to come if I have more questions. Thanks again !

Reactions: FTA4PA
Ha ha! Very true. Not all women cook but many men do. Lots of women are great at repairs and some guys are not. All depends of the individual I guess. :)

Reactions: Starr
Ha ha! Very true. Not all women cook but many men do. Lots of women are great at repairs and some guys are not. All depends of the individual I guess. :)
True, I know more men that cook than women . A man who can cook is a very attractive : )) One of my closest gf's always comes with her tool kit when she visits. She would climb but has a health issue right now. She comes from a family of climbers too but it was not passed onto her kids. Normally I am good at following directions and why I asked so many questions. Thanks

Reactions: FTA4PA
2 memories. In Florida at my previous job/life we had this chickie who worked in the afternoon after her technical college. She competed very well in the weekly 'who has the best fitting jeans' competition. Liz.She was too cool.
She would come into work with a very nice smelling body spray and a hint of Dexron II. One day she asked to get off of work early so she could put a starter and new cables in her mom's car.

Then there was Porter. One of my best buddies of all time. Packed up everything he could fit on and in his pickup. Left his wife in SC. And showed up at my farm. I hadn't see him in some 20+ years. Thought he was a neighbor way down the pike. I was in the yard doing some work. From the road with his winder down. I heard him say "Use the brakes, you're a puss". Porter!!! A phrase he used when we cruised in my '70 RR 440 +6, 18 spline, Dana 60.
You don't use the brakes. You power through it. Or downshift and get around it. Man, I miss that beast.
I told him he could stay at my place. He was staying at his sister's cabin an hour away. On the sly from his wife.
Man, that dude could cook. He left his bar-b-que outfit that him and his son's hosted cookouts at the local events. All behind,
Well. One day he cooked. Chicken neck stew and dumplings. Chicken necks? Stew?? Southerners eat some strange things. But chicken neck stew? I mean really?. A lady at work invited me to a cookout for her son's 18th birthday. She was the funniest, most humorous, off the wall. Slapstick lady you ever could meet. One of those persons who say something and you walk away 10 paces before you "Get It". And she was Black.
Why sure! I accepted and she told me where her home was. Kinda' on the fringes of the 'hood. Show up Saturday anytime.
Saturday rolled around. She asked me if I would bring ice. I asked what I could bring. "Yo' ass and some bags of ice and some beer if you want".
I showed early afternoon. OMG. I was like a speck of dandruff on a black button down shirt. Everybody was cool as hell. After hanging for a bit, one of the guys there just HAD to. Throw out a jeer. I looked around. Felt the situation out.
And tossed back one at him. Everybody laughed. They jeered him back on how I whooped his ASS.
And the rest of the afternoon went so cool. And the food! Lord Jesus the food was awesome. And I didn't get stabbed!! If you can't handle a Bill Burr standup, you can't handle me.

Oh. Back to Porter. He hollers out of the house. Hey buddy, dinner's ready. I washed up and sat down. It sure looked good and smelled better. Dude could cook, for sure. And drink a case of pounders in record time.
I took one bite of his stew. Crunch, crackle, crunch. One bite. I about gagged right there.
Porter looks at me and the look on my face. I just blurted out to Never Ever make chicken neck stew ever again.
He stayed a bit. Got a job in the gas drilling industry. Got divorced. Met the girl of his dreams. Married her. Got a fifth wheel camper and took her everyplace he worked. Went to St. Croix. The islands. Offshore in Venezuela.
Then one night he woke up. Told her to take him to the hospital quick. He was there fifteen minutes when it was discovered that his aorta had burst. She said that he just kept saying "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry". And a few minutes later,
Adios Muchacho. Porter. They broke the mold with that dude, I swear.

Oh. When do you want that amp installed? I'll send Fuhtapforpa over pronto. I think he likes a little cat furr on his brownies.

2 memories. In Florida at my previous job/life we had this chickie who worked in the afternoon after her technical college. She competed very well in the weekly 'who has the best fitting jeans' competition. Liz.She was too cool.
She would come into work with a very nice smelling body spray and a hint of Dexron II. One day she asked to get off of work early so she could put a starter and new cables in her mom's car.

Then there was Porter. One of my best buddies of all time. Packed up everything he could fit on and in his pickup. Left his wife in SC. And showed up at my farm. I hadn't see him in some 20+ years. Thought he was a neighbor way down the pike. I was in the yard doing some work. From the road with his winder down. I heard him say "Use the brakes, you're a puss". Porter!!! A phrase he used when we cruised in my '70 RR 440 +6, 18 spline, Dana 60.
You don't use the brakes. You power through it. Or downshift and get around it. Man, I miss that beast.
I told him he could stay at my place. He was staying at his sister's cabin an hour away. On the sly from his wife.
Man, that dude could cook. He left his bar-b-que outfit that him and his son's hosted cookouts at the local events. All behind,
Well. One day he cooked. Chicken neck stew and dumplings. Chicken necks? Stew?? Southerners eat some strange things. But chicken neck stew? I mean really?. A lady at work invited me to a cookout for her son's 18th birthday. She was the funniest, most humorous, off the wall. Slapstick lady you ever could meet. One of those persons who say something and you walk away 10 paces before you "Get It". And she was Black.
Why sure! I accepted and she told me where her home was. Kinda' on the fringes of the 'hood. Show up Saturday anytime.
Saturday rolled around. She asked me if I would bring ice. I asked what I could bring. "Yo' ass and some bags of ice and some beer if you want".
I showed early afternoon. OMG. I was like a speck of dandruff on a black button down shirt. Everybody was cool as hell. After hanging for a bit, one of the guys there just HAD to. Throw out a jeer. I looked around. Felt the situation out.
And tossed back one at him. Everybody laughed. They jeered him back on how I whooped his ASS.
And the rest of the afternoon went so cool. And the food! Lord Jesus the food was awesome. And I didn't get stabbed!! If you can't handle a Bill Burr standup, you can't handle me.

Oh. Back to Porter. He hollers out of the house. Hey buddy, dinner's ready. I washed up and sat down. It sure looked good and smelled better. Dude could cook, for sure. And drink a case of pounders in record time.
I took one bite of his stew. Crunch, crackle, crunch. One bite. I about gagged right there.
Porter looks at me and the look on my face. I just blurted out to Never Ever make chicken neck stew ever again.
He stayed a bit. Got a job in the gas drilling industry. Got divorced. Met the girl of his dreams. Married her. Got a fifth wheel camper and took her everyplace he worked. Went to St. Croix. The islands. Offshore in Venezuela.
Then one night he woke up. Told her to take him to the hospital quick. He was there fifteen minutes when it was discovered that his aorta had burst. She said that he just kept saying "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry". And a few minutes later,
Adios Muchacho. Porter. They broke the mold with that dude, I swear.

Oh. When do you want that amp installed? I'll send Fuhtapforpa over pronto. I think he likes a little cat furr on his brownies.
I agree southern food is different. I've never heard of chicken neck & dumpling stew; but he did tell you it was chicken necks. That should have been a clue. Guess you are supposed to fish them out and eat with your hands (gross) or just not eat them. They were flavor.

Cat furr - I don't have any cats. No one has ever found cat hair in my food. Last cat never shed.

Channel Master Model NO 9510 A control box issue

Aware of the RabbitEars Outage