Winegard Pre amp question

Starr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 27, 2024
Northern
When the guys installed my Winegard Antenna Model no HD8200U on a long pole made out of pipe, no one was interested in installing the pre amp (AP 8700) years ago. Does the pre amp need to be installed high up or not? Pre amp is new and still in the box.

Thanks

When the guys installed my Winegard Antenna Model no HD8200U on a long pole made out of pipe, no one was interested in installing the pre amp (AP 8700) years ago. Does the pre amp need to be installed high up or not? Pre amp is new and still in the box.

Thanks

Installing a preamp or not depends on your location. If you are near the transmitters then adding a preamp can overload your tuner and cause more harm than good. If you are far away though a preamp may help. If you post up your Rabbitears results someone can advise you on that point. :)

Reactions: Starr
Installing a preamp or not depends on your location. If you are near the transmitters then adding a preamp can overload your tuner and cause more harm than good. If you are far away though a preamp may help. If you post up your Rabbitears results someone can advise you on that point. :)

Most of the stations I watch are OVER a hundred miles away. Closest stations are over 30 miles but I usually watch the ones which are up to 125 miles away. Thank you. I think the main reason they didn't attach it is because they didn't know what it was and didn't want to take the time to read the directions.

Most of the stations I watch are OVER a hundred miles away. Closest stations are over 30 miles but I usually watch the ones which are up to 125 miles away. Thank you. I think the main reason they didn't attach it is because they didn't know what it was and didn't want to take the time to read the directions.

um ... Google says between my place and the city that has the 2 stations I view the most its 122 miles. It takes me over 2.5 hours to drive there. Even before we went digital when I purchased this antenna I could get those stations. I bought the biggest antenna at the time. It states 65 miles plus (in my case, emphasis is on the plus. I also live on a hill and I imagine as a bird flies the distance may be shorter.

Winegard HD8200U Platinum VHF/UHF HDTV Antenna (65 Miles+, Digital, 4K Ultra High-Def Ready)​

Added - 3rd fav station is over 110 miles away according to google. As of a few days ago, I can't get any of them. True they don't market 150 mile antennas. Location Location Location :))

Can't hurt to try it if you can get to the antenna easily. The stations you prefer are quite a distance away.
It is quite an oldie and tech. has really developed. Preamps are out there that you can adjust gain globally or per channel. 17/19 db is moderate.
Happy climbing.

Not saying it is impossible, just not very likely in most cases. There are things called translators - basically a repeater of the actual station tower broadcast - which allows the station to be received by those who are not in range or have an obstructed view of the main broadcast tower. ;)

Can't hurt to try it if you can get to the antenna easily. The stations you prefer are quite a distance away.
It is quite an oldie and tech. has really developed. Preamps are out there that you can adjust gain globally or per channel. 17/19 db is moderate.
Happy climbing.
No, unfortunately I can't get to antenna and all my friends are afraid of heights. Is there one you can suggest that i can use in my house or mount low?

No, unfortunately I can't get to antenna and all my friends are afraid of heights. Is there one you can suggest that i can use in my house or mount low?
Yes, I live in the middle of nowhere. There are a couple stations 30 miles away but certainly not my fav.

um ... Google says between my place and the city that has the 2 stations I view the most its 122 miles. It takes me over 2.5 hours to drive there. Even before we went digital when I purchased this antenna I could get those stations. I bought the biggest antenna at the time. It states 65 miles plus (in my case, emphasis is on the plus. I also live on a hill and I imagine as a bird flies the distance may be shorter.

Winegard HD8200U Platinum VHF/UHF HDTV Antenna (65 Miles+, Digital, 4K Ultra High-Def Ready)​

Added - 3rd fav station is over 110 miles away according to google. As of a few days ago, I can't get any of them. True they don't market 150 mile antennas. Location Location Location :))
Prior to going digital and changing antennas, I reg watched a station 208 miles away. I don't think I ever tried to get that station after going digital..

Not saying it is impossible, just not very likely in most cases. There are things called translators - basically a repeater of the actual station tower broadcast - which allows the station to be received by those who are not in range or have an obstructed view of the main broadcast tower. ;)
Repeater, interesting. I have an acquaintance who lives very close to a station but after station changed frequency, she can't get it in except in the evenings. Evidently there is some type of obstruction. Perhaps that will help her. Thanks

Nothing says you can't mount it lower. But the general rule is as close to the antenna as possible.
But if you do. There will be a splice with 2 F-connectors. And I wouldn't suggest using the twist-on cheapies.
So. Then there's you buying crimp connectors and the tool to do it. Plus a bit of a learning curve. Depends on how deep you want to get into it.
I have run a mast amp in the house to boost weak FM on my stereo. It worked. As soon as the signal leaves the antenna to the cable, you start losing signal. So preamps at the antenna work best. If you do tackle it. Try to get it as close as you can. Someone needs to at least climb a ladder.
Good luck. Tell us how you do

Nothing says you can't mount it lower. But the general rule is as close to the antenna as possible.
But if you do. There will be a splice with 2 F-connectors. And I wouldn't suggest using the twist-on cheapies.
So. Then there's you buying crimp connectors and the tool to do it. Plus a bit of a learning curve. Depends on how deep you want to get into it.
I have run a mast amp in the house to boost weak FM on my stereo. It worked. As soon as the signal leaves the antenna to the cable, you start losing signal. So preamps at the antenna work best. If you do tackle it. Try to get it as close as you can. Someone needs to at least climb a ladder.
Good luck. Tell us how you do
ok, I appreciate all your help. I'm going to focus on rotor antenna wire first. Then getting my antenna back to where it was. hmm ... is that crimper different or special? I bought a new one but I'm pretty sure I have another bigger one. I won't go cheap. I don't climb ladders cause I've fallen too many times. I will try to find someone who is neither fearful of heights or electrical things. Thanks again and I will be back if I can't figure out the antenna issue.

ok, I appreciate all your help. I'm going to focus on rotor antenna wire first. Then getting my antenna back to where it was. hmm ... is that crimper different or special? I bought a new one but I'm pretty sure I have another bigger one. I won't go cheap. I don't climb ladders cause I've fallen too many times. I will try to find someone who is neither fearful of heights or electrical things. Thanks again and I will be back if I can't figure out the antenna issue.

Reactions: Starr and FTA4PA
Reactions: Starr and arlo
I guess a gal can't have too many advanced do it yourselfer tools :D Thank you !!! Seriously, they come in handy !!!

Good link ... I knew that ... I did my research before purchasing antenna; but I also knew what I was able to tune in prior to purchasing and the digital change so I took my chance and purchased it. If you live in a valley, I'm sure it wouldn't pull in those stations. However, many stations are changing to stronger uhf signals, and they claim ppl who were never were able to tune in, can get the stations now. It may include valley ppl : ))

I used to get my specialty tools from the local pawn shops. Cable dude's come and go. Being a guy, you just can't have enough tools. Good ones. A gal!. Well heck. Slap some brownies in the oven and I'd be up a ladder in a jif.

I used to get my specialty tools from the local pawn shops. Cable dude's come and go. Being a guy, you just can't have enough tools. Good ones. A gal!. Well heck. Slap some brownies in the oven and I'd be up a ladder in a jif.
hahaha .. did you think I was a dude? No one ever showed me how to do any of those things. The tools are for guys who might swing by :) Ok I'll do this or that for you - do you have this tool or that one? Most guys I know don't know anything about antennas. I might give a few away to my helper if he comes around cause I bought things that won't work for me and I can't return. Unlike yours, they aren't real expensive tools. However I will not go cheap if I ever need those 2 F connectors :)) I used to make awesome sweets but no one eats sugar or high calorie baked goods anymore. I do have one young friend who could do all those things that need to be done but he is soooo busy and very afraid of heights.

Cable dudes come and go reminds of my hometown where they thought the cable & tv dude was actually a drug dealer cause he was always coming in and out of apartments.

I wish you lived closer !!! I would gladly make you brownies !

Channel Master Model NO 9510 A control box issue

Aware of the RabbitEars Outage