Will you be able to purchase the rest of the Sirius Channel Lineup from Dish??

n1wbd

Silent Key - RIP 1/2/2012
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Grafton,NH
I love the new Sirius Music Channels Dish has added. Just 1 question though...
Will I be able to purchase the remaining Sirius Lineup as a premium service from Dish?

Any thoughts??
Thanks
Bob Hale N1WBD
Grafton,NH

no
as of right now, all Dish is carrying is the music channels. I don't think the agreement called for all the others (maybe one or two talk stations, but that would probably be it)

Iceberg said:
no
as of right now, all Dish is carrying is the music channels. I don't think the agreement called for all the others (maybe one or two talk stations, but that would probably be it)

Ok this maybe true. But if it became available would anyone subscribe to them?

I know if it was a fair price such as 4.95 or 5.95 /month I would. I would have to question whether it would be worth it if the price was higher than that though.

Maybe Scott could create a poll on this topic???

What do you think?

No, sorry no poll.

I spoke with Sirius CEO Joe Clayton about this and was told that the majority of programming that is not carried by Dish from Sirius is not Sirius originated programming, instead they are licensed channels which can not be retransmitted by Dish Network.

For this reason if you want those additional channels you will need an actual Sirius radio to get them.

How would it eliminate 10 million potential customers when they would be making money recieving the programming at their house with their satellite system? What difference does it make if they receive it from a sirius radio system or over the satellite receiver if they are getting their money for it? I would assume that Sirius would want the full subscription rate if they did offer the other channels that is offered on their sirius radio systems.

You have a point... but... I'm sure sirius is getting something from the equipment it sells. They'd lose 10 million units at least from that side. I'm sure it would violate some of their contracts with manufacturers as well.

True, the subscribers can pile on quick, and they might be able to add more advertising on the channels that have space for it. Overall I think their profit margin per subscriber would be narrowed.

Plus there is probably some licensing restriction from the providers. I'm sure that D* would not look kindly on their "exclusive" NFL deal being nullified (even though D* would have Video AND Audio, while E* only had audio... I can see how they would want to fight it).

bcshields said:
You have a point... but... I'm sure sirius is getting something from the equipment it sells. They'd lose 10 million units at least from that side. I'm sure it would violate some of their contracts with manufacturers as well.

Sirius has SAC for their receivers just as Dish does. Believe me, for the moment, I'm sure they would love nothing more than to offer every channel in their lineup for $6.99-$7.99/month on Dish, as each new subscriber would have zero SAC to account for.

Many would probably want to have the receiver for their car as well if they subscribed to it on Dish. I wonder if Sirius would charge extra at that point for it. They would probably want the full subscription amount for the car in addition to what you would pay for the service on satellite.

How often should receiver retrieve sat. info?

Wish: Create times from the web

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)