Will the analog FM videos be gone in in a few years?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

N5XZS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
Albuquerque, NM, USA
Just wondering when will the good old analog FM video be gone from the satellite in a few years?

Since the FM video is very wastfull! The FM video bandwith takes more the 20 MHz of bandwith why keep using this mode?

Any ideas? :)

Isn't video in the AM band???

I'd read where the video portion of a channel was dedicated to the AM band and audio portion was dedicated to the FM band for regular NTSC analog broadcasts as well as analog cable television. Is it different for satellite broadcasts in analog?

For the over the air freqs, channel 2 to 69 is based on AM video 4.2 MHz bandwith and the Wide Band FM audio is about 200 KHz wide.

But in the satellite freqs, in C band and KU band FM video and FM audio are used and the reason is why FM tends to have better capture effect and signal to noise ratio over AM video mode.

If you were try to transment AM video on satellite it would take many time more transmitting power to get a decent picture quality compared with FM video.

Big draw back about FM video is their huge bandwith 20 + MHz wide and is going way of dinosaurs in favor for digital video compression narrow as less than 1 MHz and up to wide as 15 MHz "HDTV or bunchs of subchannels in a signal carrer.

Digital news feeds normaly use 3.5 MHz of bandwith, sports feeds may vary from 5 MHz and up and if it's a HDTV feed they may go wide as 15 to 20 MHz under MPEG 2 world.

Someday we may be able to transment video on shortwave radio bands with a powerful video codecs running at 30 FPS at 480 lines that may be few years away or sooner than you think! :)

Just think of it for shortwave TV DXing fun!! :yes

Yeah, something I've always imagined! I don't know if the S/N ratio on HF would allow for that, though.

Analog videos are certainly a thing of the past. The FCC has recently announced plans for an end to them soon.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Another happy Invacom .3 Customer... who needs advice!

pansat 2000v+universal lnb observation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)