will pole hold?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mr.crane

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
o.k. i just got my winegard 76cm and coolsat pro and moteck sg2100, planning on only using the mount that comes with the winegard dish, will this be strong enough to hold motor and dish? if not what size pole, when people mention 2 inches or so, do they mean outside diameter...i know back in the days of bud i always use schedule 40 steel pipe...by the way will install mount on side of house where the boards slope down , from the pitch of roof.

Yes the mount will be strong enough, but it will pull forward slightly so take that into account when setting the the mast plumb and level. And the SG2100 will work with a pole 2" O/Dia. and slightly above. The downward sloping roof should give you enough clearance.

Well I asked here first and what re-assured me was that the Primestar 'mast' was the same size and gauge material that the 2 3/8" chain-link fence pole I got from Home Depot was.

Pete reccomended filling the pole itself with cement and I'm going to take him up on that advice.

Surely the heavy pipe would be even more solid but for a 1M or so dish I'm sure this will suffice. If I someday get a BUD I'll lay down a pad and bolt some steel plate to it and weld the pole to the plate :).

PSB said:
Yes the mount will be strong enough, but it will pull forward slightly so take that into account when setting the the mast plumb and level. And the SG2100 will work with a pole 2" O/Dia. and slightly above. The downward sloping roof should give you enough clearance.
so if it must forward slightly will it still track the orbit correctly

mr.crane said:
so if it must forward slightly will it still track the orbit correctly
I think what he means is that you should set the pole slightly out of plumb knowing that the dish weight will bend it true..... or that if the pole is bending slightly that you'll have to make a correction on your motor elevation setting. I plan on doing the latter if it comes up.

I am thinking of possibly using a 3.5" pole for my installation and then creating a coupler on top to convert it to 2 3/8" for the SG2100 to mount onto.
Two reasons:
1) Hurricanes we have here in Florida.
2) If I ever convert over to a larger C Band dish, the pole will be already there. I also want to install additional wires like for an actuator and feedhorn servo motor plus extra RG-6U cables for future use so that I don't have to dig up the yard a second time.

I just need to figure out how to create a coupler that will convert 3.5" to 2 3/8".

Shawn95GT said:
I think what he means is that you should set the pole slightly out of plumb knowing that the dish weight will bend it true..... or that if the pole is bending slightly that you'll have to make a correction on your motor elevation setting. I plan on doing the latter if it comes up.
let me know how you come out with your install: the boards that overhang the roof, are not wide enough to anchored the mast which is about 10 and a half inches..unless i get another board and attach, or i might have to use a pipe from the ground and up to roof...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Transponders

SG2100 Schematics

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)