Why not buy VOOM HD content?

bdemz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
I don't understand why they also didn't want the content. This would give them an extreme lead over D* with channles D* could not get.

Unless they are holding out to get it very cheap.

Who else would be able to get the content?

Voom has signed up over 250,000 subscribers but only managed to hold onto 26,000 so their programming may not have been worth much.

Cheap

E* could probably get it very cheap. Who else would buy it? MonsterHD, RaveHD are pretty good I hear. Plus when you haven't added any new HD in some time anything is good.

boba said:
Voom has signed up over 250,000 subscribers but only managed to hold onto 26,000 so their programming may not have been worth much.

that may be true...but in a way I think that is an unfair statement.

If that package of channels were offered to an established customer base of 10 MIL+ using their existing equipment (yes...some would have to add a dish for 61.5 and/or HD receiver) and only charge for the HD content...instead of it being a whole new service (that was lacking in SD to begin with, IMO)

I would bet a lot of existing HD subs would add the VOOM channels as part of their E* sub, whereas they wouldn't have dropped E* for VOOM's full service, or added VOOM as a second provider!

in the past 2 weeks I've tryed all 4 services, Voom Has the best PQ next would be D*TV, then Cable I just told Dish to come get there chit. Worst PQ I have ever seen, There trying to send too much thru there Sat's I was told..
I sure hope Voom survives.

i like the ideas that others have been throwing around. get rid of most of the junk channels and downsize to 4 or 5 good quality hd channels.

Voom couldn't make money with what they had to offer. I don't think E* wants to go down that road. If we are lucky, we will get a couple of HD channels at some point. The purchase was for more capacity, and probably a bargain. IMO, dish and direct have the same quality. Cable here is much worse. I haven't seen VOOM.

Part of the reason is that the channels are created with agreements with a number of other providers in HD formatted material.

Each channel doesn't have VOOM produced content, just content VOOM negotiated for to be placed on their channels. When VOOM sells their format to another company, the agreements do not necessarily "transfer" and E* would have to "renegotiate" with all of those different providers to recreate their own Rave HD and Monster HD channels.

Way to much work and not necessarily "cheap". Voom's pricing was per customer and with 26,000 subscribers wasn't very expensive. Up scale that and involve negotiations into the mix, probably with some providers E* played hardball with before, and you get the picture.

Logistics nightmare.

Exisiting Customer Wanting a DVR 522

Dish Network DVR Question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)