Why does a recorder need a phone line?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pain

Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
I am considering changing from Comcast cable to satellite and looking at all the new subscriber deals. Looks like the Sat companies are pushing these DVR/Tivo add on deals for cheap, but I keep seeing in the fine print about having to connect it to my phone. Do I really need a lanline phone connection just to record something? What if I just have a cell phone?

Phone line is for PPV & sports package order billing as far as the D* part is concerned, on the TiVo part that may be for the initial setup requirment, but I had assumed that could be done via ethernet now.

silversurfer01973 said:
Guide data comes over the satellite for Dtivo's.....Standalones use the phone for that...
guide Data without the phoneline is 3 days.

With the phone line is longer.

silversurfer01973 said:
Do you have a reference for this?

I have reference against it... I have guide data for the next week and a half and havent had a phone line in it since february

ShadowEKU said:
I have reference against it... I have guide data for the next week and a half and havent had a phone line in it since february

I don't hAVE all of my Tivo's on land line also but I noticed a difference in guide data.

You can get around the phone line issue on initial setup by getting or making a Tivo serial cable and, with a few setup steps on your PC, tell the DTivo to connect via serial and use your PC's internet connection.

That's how I did the initial setup on my R10.

ShadowEKU said:

I will second that...ALL guide data comes off the satellite. Its been that way since 3.0 if I am not mistaken...

silversurfer01973 said:
I will second that...ALL guide data comes off the satellite. Its been that way since 3.0 if I am not mistaken...

Some people might not be on 3.0 (if they dont have a phone line)

On Stand Alone Tivos Guide data only goes 3 days if you dont have a tivo subscription... if you do its the full 2 weeks or so.

I checked last night... the guide data on mine that is plugged in to a phone line goes to within an hour of where the one without a phone line ends....

If you don't need the phone line for guide data-why do they put up those damn "please make daily call' notices? I don't have a phone line directly into two of my Tivos(Sat box Tivos) but I do have a line into the two others. Haven't ever really checked to see if there is a difference in guide data. Of course, D* says you have to have the sat box connected to land line at all timew as well and we know that is false. Don't have a constant phone line into any of my 5 sat boxes. So can I stop dragging the phone line across tha room every couple of weeks to do the TIVo daily call?

srjewettlaw said:
If you don't need the phone line for guide data-why do they put up those damn "please make daily call' notices? I don't have a phone line directly into two of my Tivos(Sat box Tivos) but I do have a line into the two others. Haven't ever really checked to see if there is a difference in guide data. Of course, D* says you have to have the sat box connected to land line at all timew as well and we know that is false. Don't have a constant phone line into any of my 5 sat boxes. So can I stop dragging the phone line across tha room every couple of weeks to do the TIVo daily call?

it makes the daily call to see if there are software updates. It makes a weekly call to d* to report any and all PPV... it actually connects to 2 different places.

The dtv tivo get software updates thru the phone line. and some routine hard drive housekeeping.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Which is best? H-10 or DTC210

How many LNBs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)